Help pls!

AJ_PHIL

Hi guys, I'm thinking about relocating to the States in a year time, but still in the process of doing my ground work!!! I am an accountant, and have recently registered to take the CPA. Also, my wife is due to finish her nursing degree in 2008, but she is not canadian.

My plan is to get a job in the States, then get a TN visa. Would it be wise for my wife to get the TD visa? Knowing that she can't work with the TD visa, how do we convert this visa to one that she can use to work?

I have read some thread whereby TD can convert to F or H visa, if we choose the F route, we will then have to pay tuition fees, and if we choose the H route as a nurse, how easy is it then to file for the GC?

Or, is it wise for her to apply as a student from the onset, the get this converted to GC once she gets a nursing job? A friend went as a student, converted his visa to GC within 2 years with his employer's assistant - nursing degree though.

Looking forward to heraing from you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the TD. There is no reason for her to get an F. When she converts to an H she will stand alone on her own degree with no relationship to marriage or other. The tricky part might be later when you travel. If you have a TN and she has an H, there might be the never ending question of immigrant intent. On a TN you cannot have immigrant intent but you can with an H. So, if you are traveling together and question by a CBP agent you might get turned back. I don't think it's a big deal,but you need to think about these things. If you yourself convert to a an H next year then you would be okay. And, the H is portable from employer to employer (as long as you are performing the same job).

Neither H nor TN show immig intent.

This boogieman is thrown up all the time (by posters). I have yet to hear a TN denied entry because their sppuse was h1.

And the H is no more portable than TN. You still need to make anew H application for each employer. All that is different, is that for 2nd H, you don't need to wait for approval to start.