Help - Passport Damaged with TN Status!!

EJ886

Hi all -

Hoping someone could be of some assistance up here!

I'm currently working in the US on TN status until 2021. A week ago, I put my passport through the wash (long story short - passport was in a pant pocket - forgot to remove - very dumb move). The ID page is fine, but several stamps have been washed out. Still, my last TN admission stamp is visible and clear (made photocopies right away). I also have a photocopy of the first TN stamp for what it's worth.

Passport Canada has told me to replace the passport but I am scheduled to fly to Toronto next week. The Canadian consulate in NYC has told me that they cannot expedite a replacement passport, but can issue a temporary passport for my travel. Here are my concerns:

1. If I travel with a temporary Canadian passport issued by the consulate, how will this be dealt with at CBP pre-clearance YYZ if I travel next week? I have my most recent I-94 that states the damaged passport and the admit until 2021 date. Though the TN status is good until 2021 but this temporary passport issued by the consulate will have a validity of max. 1 year. I am concerned that CBP will not issue an entry stamp in excess of the passport expiry date meaning I will have to exit/re-entry with my new passport to clear this up. Also, since I have to surrender my current passport (the one that has the most recent stamp and is connected to my I-94), I will not have the passport until it is returned with my new passport.

2. If I reschedule my trip until the new passport arrives, how do I link the new passport to the TN upon re-entry to the US? The I-94 will have my old/damaged passport listed, so I will bring this and the new passport (and hopefully the old if they return it - I checked the box on the passport application form saying to return it). Do I just tell CBP that I was issued a new passport, and CBP will then link the I-94 and admission date to the new passport?

Again, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Have been trying to call CBP past couple days but haven't had any luck. Thanks!

Last edited:
The TN stamp, and -- more importantly -- the I-94 that was issued when you petitioned for TN, are not tied/connected to a particular passport. Simply reprint the I-94 from the CBP website (if the one that was in your passport is damaged), and they will admit you on the original TN. They will likely only grant the I-94 until passport expiry, but that should not worry you; simply get a new I-94 after you have your new permanent PP.

The TN stamp, and -- more importantly -- the I-94 that was issued when you petitioned for TN, are not tied/connected to a particular passport. Simply reprint the I-94 from the CBP website (if the one that was in your passport is damaged), and they will admit you on the original TN. They will likely only grant the I-94 until passport expiry, but that should not worry you; simply get a new I-94 after you have your new permanent PP.

Thank you for the insight, nelsona! I do not have a paper TN since I applied for status at YYZ pre-clearance, but I do have the original I-94 online printout.

Just had my appt with the consulate, and will be issued a 1-year temp passport in the coming days, then permanent 10-year passport in 2 weeks. I had to surrender my damaged passport for now, so I will not have that on hand during my travels next week.

Here is what seems to be my process moving forward.

1. Get temp passport.
2. Use temp passport to return to Canada.
3. Upon re-entry #1 to US, Upon return use temp passport at CBP pre-clearance with most recent I-94 printout, original I-94 printout, photocopy of damaged Canadian passport pages. If needed, explain that passport was damaged and temp PP was issued.
4. CBP may issue stamp TN for up to 1 year (due to temporary passport validity).
5. Print new I-94 with temp passport on record. This I-94 may or may not be updated with 1 year validity due to temp passport.
6. Pick up new permanent passport from Canadian consulate (and hopefully cancelled damaged passport if they return it - I checked the box and provided written request!).
7. Next trip outside of US - use new permanent passport to return to Canada (or other country). In addition to new passport, bring the cancelled passport (if returned), original I-94, and most recent I-94 from #5.
8. Upon re-entry #2 to US, tell CBP that new permanent PP was issued. Show original I-94 printout, most recent I-94 printout, and cancelled passport (if returned).

Also found/consulted a past forum thread here that seems to be similar titled "Replaced Damaged CAD Passport. Lose TN Status?" (couldn't add link).

Sounds good. Your TN is in their system, so having one I-94 that shows this will be fine. No need for you to bring various versions, just the latest one.

Sounds good. Your TN is in their system, so having one I-94 that shows this will be fine. No need for you to bring various versions, just the latest one.

So at the 2nd re-entry (with new, permanent passport), just show the most recent I-94 and then
1) mention that the last re-entry was on a temp passport and
2) mention that the validity period of the TN is until June 2022

I guess my concern is, upon re-entry #2, having a situation where the I-94 "Admit Until" has changed to October 2021 but then does not revert back to June 2022... if that is even a possibility. Though, if I'm not mistaken, this seems similar to how some on this forum have had passport expiry dates that precede the TN "admit until" date. From what I read on those posts, the Admit Until date on I-94 does revert back (automatically?) with the new passport at re-entry.

The CBP will look up your cse and see the original date of expiry, each time you enter.

Btw, just ooc, if you had your citizenship certificate (assuming you naturalized) or your birth certificate (if you are Canadian by birth), wouldn't that be enough to at least enter Canada? This way, one wouldn't have to worry about temp passport and simply get a new 10 yr passport using urgent processing in Canada?

Btw, just ooc, if you had your citizenship certificate (assuming you naturalized) or your birth certificate (if you are Canadian by birth), wouldn't that be enough to at least enter Canada? This way, one wouldn't have to worry about temp passport and simply get a new 10 yr passport using urgent processing in Canada?

I think it was definitely an option to do land crossing with enhanced Driver License. Also thought about flying back with passport but Passport Canada advised me not to do so. Too late now as I've already surrendered the passport to the consulate for replacement.

I understand all airlines require you to have a passport to cross between US and Canada.
Land border crossing are different and may be possible to cross without a passport, but proof of citizenship.

Hi all - update. At pre-clearance, I presented my I-94, cancelled passport, and temp passport. My cancelled passport was inspected and was asked a few questions about what happened to it. I was asked where the original/most recent TN stamp was (still in cancelled Passport). After being asked a few questions about where I worked and what work I did, my temp passport was stamped with a TN stamp. When I checked online, the I-94 was issued until 2021 (my original TN expiry). The passport listed in the most recent I-94 is my temp passport number.

Today, the consulate is now ready to issue my new perm passport, but is asking me to return both the temp passport and cancelled permanent passport in exchange for my new perm passport. I feel that since I was asked to show my original and most recent stamp, I am going to submit a request for the return of 1) the temp passport and/or 2) my old (cancelled) passport. Passport Canada advised me that they would consider a written request, but these docs may or may not be returned.

I guess best case scenario is that I am able to keep the temp/old passports. If so, I will show the new passport, I-94, employment verification letter. I will also be able to produce the temp / old passport.

If PP docs are not returned, the next time I exit/re-enter, I will just bring photocopies of the passport pages (temp and old) plus I-94, new passport, and employment verification letter. I am a bit worried about not being able to produce the physical original / most recent stamp if I do not have my old PP or temp PP, but I am will try present as much documentation (photocopies of PP pages).

The request to look at the passport etc had more to do with the passport that the TN/I-94. You will be fine with your latest I-94 by itself and your new PP. Bring copies of those other things if you wish, but even if they look at them, it will have been out of curiosity rather than necessity,