• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

help needed for follow to join process

marpee

Registered Users (C)
Guys,
I am very new on this forum and need help. Does anyone know how to process for follow to join? My family is sti in my home country and i dont know how to go about it. I am in the US now and have received all my docs(GC and ssn#).
CN; 2013AF000016xxx
Thanx

Sorry Marpee, your question isn't clear.

From what you say, you won the DV2013 lottery and have entered USA and received your Green Card. Is your concern about your family? Were they on your eDV application? Did you fill in 230 forms for them? Give more information and someone may be able to help...

Britsimon,
What i meant is that i won the DV 2013, but got married to a man who has a child after the EDV entry so i filled the DS230 with the details of both my husband and step daughter as follow to join. I received my visa alright and entered the US in april. I have received all my documents (GC and Ssn#). How do i process the follow to join for my family since they are still in my home country?

Please help. 2013AF000016xxx

Britsimon,
What i meant is that i won the DV 2013, but got married to a man who has a child after the EDV entry so i filled the DS230 with the details of both my husband and step daughter as follow to join. I received my visa alright and entered the US in april. I have received all my documents (GC and Ssn#). How do i process the follow to join for my family since they are still in my home country?

Please help. 2013AF000016xxx

Did they attend the interview with you and get visas too? Then all they have to do is enter the US to get their green cards.

No. They did not attend the interview with me. We wanted to play it safe so i went for the interview alone.

No. They did not attend the interview with me. We wanted to play it safe so i went for the interview alone.

Um...well maybe you can get them their derivative DV visas before the end of the fiscal year still, but I don't know how the process works if they didn't attend the interview - or even if they can't get them now because they didn't attend with you? You said you listed them on your DS230, but have you sent in DS230s for them yet? Be aware that if you don't manage to get them DV visas before September it could take a few years to get them over ....hopefully someone here can give you more info.

For anyone reading this for future reference, if you have family you want to bring with you, the best way to "play it safe" is for all of you to go the interview to get visas...

I think she is talking about what is the procedure for the person(s) who will follow her to the USA at a later date?.

I think she is talking about what is the procedure for the person(s) who will follow her to the USA at a later date?.

Yes but the question was perfectly reasonable because as spouse and stepchild they would both have been entitled to DV visas as derivatives if she had taken then with to the interview. So the obvious first question was to check if this had been done, as then it would have been simple. Now it doesn't seem to be so simple. I am hoping someone can tell her if she still has a chance to get them through the DV process before end FY13, otherwise she has to file petitions for them and that could take a long time to get them over.

Thanks so much guys. I have read the document and its clear. Working on it right away.
On playing it safe by going with your spouse to the embassy when you married after the EDV, the case is different in Ghana. You will be interogated instead of interviewed when you take that path. Following to join is your best bet in ghana.

Thanks again.

Guys,
I am very new on this forum and need help. Does anyone know how to process for follow to join? My family is sti in my home country and i dont know how to go about it. I am in the US now and have received all my docs(GC and ssn#).
CN; 2013AF000016xxx
Thanx

I'm thinking in your attempt to 'play it safe' you probably might have made it a bit tough for your family to join you in the US right away. It would have been a whole lot easier if your spouse and step kid attended the interview with you.

While the DOS's website and documents indeed talk about the possibility of 'follow to join' for family members of a DV lottery principal applicant, everything I've come across so far indicates this is intended for principal applicants already in the US planning to undergo AOS while their family members are not currently in the US and plan on doing CP. I haven't come across anything so far indicating the possibility of a DV selectee successfully doing CP and their family members successfully undergoing a follow-to-join also from their home country. But then, it may be possible, it's just something I'm not aware of.

For starters, you may want to schedule an InfoPass appointment and discuss your case. I suggest you fill out form I-824 and take it along with you. Be aware that there is a filing fee of $405 for an I-824. This is a long shot, but it's worth giving it a try.

The other alternative would be filing with USCIS an immigrant visa petition (Form I-130) for them in the Family 2A (F2A) category. Historically, applicants have experienced a delay of several years for a F2A immigrant number to become available. It could take anywhere between 2-5 years for them to get their GC if you go through this route.

Hi All,
Thanks so much for the directions. I have submitted the I-824 forms to NVC and also paid the processing fee of $405. They asked me to make a follow up after about a month if i don't hear from thm . All I am doing now is keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully, all will be well before the end of 2013 FY. Once again, thanx to all.

Hi All,
Thanks so much for the directions. I have submitted the I-824 forms to NVC and also paid the processing fee of $405. They asked me to make a follow up after about a month if i don't hear from thm . All I am doing now is keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully, all will be well before the end of 2013 FY. Once again, thanx to all.

Did you check with KCC that they are indeed included in your DV case file as derivatives? Did their name appeared in your 2ndNL (intvw date email) as derivatives? If not I do not think they can now claim derivative status.

If they had their names and they just did not go for intvw, then you may now want to coordinate with KCC-DV and NVC to transfer the file for their CP.

This is bit unusual and 1st time I am seeing this. Has others done this way had success in Ghana? In any case he will have to go prepared to defend the 'marriage as legit' at his intvw. Most probably he will put on AP and hopefully things will get through before 9/30.

best!

PS: Did they ask about your marriage/step kid at your intvw? did it come up at all or it did not? and did you say that you sent individual DS 230 s for both of them to KCC after your winner NL, before your intvw?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I'm highly interested in seeing how this ends. Hopefully things get resolved for your family. Like NuvF stated, your marriage will be highly scrutinized if indeed your husband gets invited for an interview. You guys need to prepare accordingly for that. Also, in a follow to join situation, the petitioner is usually encouraged to attend the interview with the spouse, and this is what you guys are trying to avoid, right?

Keep us posted and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you check with KCC that they are indeed included in your DV case file as derivatives? Did their name appeared in your 2ndNL (intvw date email) as derivatives? If not I do not think they can now claim derivative status.

If they had their names and they just did not go for intvw, then you may now want to coordinate with KCC-DV and NVC to transfer the file for their CP.

This is bit unusual and 1st time I am seeing this. Has others done this way had success in Ghana? In any case he will have to go prepared to defend the 'marriage as legit' at his intvw. Most probably he will put on AP and hopefully things will get through before 9/30.

best!

PS: Did they ask about your marriage/step kid at your intvw? did it come up at all or it did not? and did you say that you sent individual DS 230 s for both of them to KCC after your winner NL, before your intvw?

She did say in post #3 that she had listed them as follow to join on her DS230. (I presume in 31(b) )

Hi guys,
I forgot to add that I was advised to go through an immigration attorney, which i did. But paid something for that.
I have been assured of a positive outcome.
Hopefully, all will go well but will update you on every step.

Hope to give you the goodnews soon.

Thanks again.