HELP! Mom had interview and got a lot of questions from

usa_ftw

Registered Users (C)
Ok I'm a US Citizen and I Petitioned my Mom who's curretly in the US(out of status)
and had the interview for I-495, I-130. IO went through all the documents and
pass all the questions.

But he started asking about her passed application(I 687) yearsss ago
and she got off guard because she doesn't really remember what's on
the application(since it was abandoned yearsss ago) I didn't know she
applied one so I don't have an answer for that.

IO told her she can't give her greencard because of that prior application
and will mail the decision. I find the IO very unprofessional(he looks newthere)
and he even start questioning me(US citizen) about me, how i obtained citizenship
and what's my wifes name, last name and stuff. He even started asking where's
my dad and stuff and he's not even on the application. Well,

My question is:

She came in there to have the interview for the I-485 and I-130
but was questioned more on the abandoned I 687, was that appropriate?

What are the chances my mom will get denied because of the abandoned application?

Any advice? What do you think?

Thanks.

OP, to answer your question, it was, of course, appropriate to question about the prior application. That's what an interview is for - they need to make sure she qualifies for adjustment of status - just because you are a US Citizen and you filed a petition for her, doesn't make her automatically eligible to file for adjustment of status.

It was also appropriate to question your Citizenship in case the IO had doubts about it, since your mother's adjustment application was based on a petition filed by you as a US citizen.

You see, anyone can forge documents and pretend to be anyone. USCIS verifies when in doubt.

I-687 ... isn't that the Reagan amnesty, for people who have been in the US illegally since 1982 or before? If she was here illegally for such a long time, she should have come prepared to answer questions about her status back then. Being here illegally for nearly 30 years made the IO suspicious about whether she is who she says she is.

There are 2 classifications of applicants who can file an I-687. Which one did she file under?

But he started asking about her passed application(I 687) yearsss ago
and she got off guard because she doesn't really remember what's on
the application(since it was abandoned yearsss ago)

Not sure. IO told her that he will mail the decision. I let ya'll know when we find out. Thanks.

She came in there to have the interview for the I-485 and I-130
but was questioned more on the abandoned I 687, was that appropriate?

What are the chances my mom will get denied because of the abandoned application?

Any advice? What do you think?

Thanks.

I don't know what makes you to think that immigration officer should have only focused on I-130 and I-485 for your mom. Officers need to carefully review the WHOLE background of the applicants. When I say WHOLE then it means WHOLE. And since your mom seems to have a record/history with USCIS then obviously officer can use that record to evaluate the eligibility for LPR. Also, officer was right to question your citizenship and how you obtain it. Remember, form I-130? This form you filed as a US citizen to adjust status for your mom. For this form purpose, officers can question and ask anything about petitioner's citizenship. After all officers need to be assured that you are a US citizen and properly obtained US citizenship.

Whether your mom's application will be denied or not then it cannot be said at this point. Why? Because filing any previous application cannot be the reason to deny a current application. However, if any of the MATERIAL information provided by your mom, either now or previously on the application, which doesn't match then officer would most definately deny the application for misrepresentation or lying to immigration officer and then your mom will NEVER be able to obtain green card even if you are a US citizen unless her parents or spouse will be a green card holder or a US citizen because there is a lifetime bar to those who misrepresent to US govt. (either to visa officers at the US consulates abroad, or custom/immigration officers at port of entry or immigration officers at USCIS).

Again, nothing could be said as of now about your mother's application because it's not mentioned if she lied or officer told her so. Who knows that application is still pending and USCIS wants that application to be closed down first?? Or maybe any of information there doesn't match with information provided on current applications, like date of birth or father's name or date of previous stay in the US or any of such nature? Or it could be possible that officer might need supervisor approval on your mom's case. Just wait until you hear from them.