Help me!

dannyphant

Registered Users (C)
Me and My girlfriend will get married next week and she just passed her citizenship test last week! Is that matter if we will apply for my NOA 3 weeks after she become US citizen? Please help me. Thank you

How long ago was your last entry to the US? In what status did you enter -- B1/B2? F1 student visa? Visa waiver?

NOA (Notice of Action) is just a document they send to notify people of the receipt, approval, denial, or other action on all sorts of different immigration processes. I think you mean you plan to apply for a green card via adjustment of status (AOS).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I was enter by F-1 Student visa since 2010. Can you give me some advise? Please

It was my first time entered the US and then I went back for visit in 2011! Can I summit the AOS after 2 weeks after we got married?

If she is a US citizen when you marry her, you can apply for AOS the same day you get married. No need to wait 2 weeks. Or if you marry her before she's a US citizen, you can submit the AOS application the same day she becomes a US citizen. You might have some problems with AOS if your latest entry to the US was very recent, but if 2011 is your latest entry you'll be fine.

Make the appointment for the I-693 medical ASAP with a designated civil surgeon in your area. You'll need 2 appointments a few days apart, and it can take a couple of weeks to get back the results in the sealed envelope, so don't wait to set up the appointment. You can go for the medical appointment before you get married. Gather your vaccination records and bring them to the appointment, so you can reduce the number of vaccinations you'll receive.

Once you apply for AOS, you won't be able to use your F1 visa again to reenter the US. You'll need Advance Parole (I-131), so make sure to apply for it along with the I-485.

Thank you so much, that was very helpful!
I already make an appt for my medical exam for the next 2 weeks, and they said I have to come back 2 days after my medical exam done so I can pick up my result. Is that make sense?

Thank you so much, that was very helpful!
I already make an appt for my medical exam for the next 2 weeks, and they said I have to come back 2 days after my medical exam done so I can pick up my result. Is that make sense?

You have to return for a second short appointment for them to check your skin's reaction for the TB test. After that they'll mail the official results to you. When it arrives in the mail, you can open the outer envelope of the results with your name and address on it, but the inner envelope must remain sealed when you send it with your I-485.

Thank you!
My sister gonna co-sign for me, because my friend she doesn't have enough income. So what document do I need from my sister?
Do I need to send some of her proof document with I-864? ( such as bank statement, tax..)

Thank you!
My sister gonna co-sign for me, because my friend she doesn't have enough income. So what document do I need from my sister?
Do I need to send some of her proof document with I-864? ( such as bank statement, tax..)

In a nutshell for the I-864 your sister will need to submit a copy of proof her status (US Citizen or GC holder). Both of you will need to include a copy of latest tax return, at this time 2012 (or tax transcript from the IRS). Copies of 2011 and 2010 can be sent if wanted. You may submit proof showing the expected income from this year. An example would be a signed letter from your employer on letterhead with your salary information.

Thank you!

Note that your wife must file I-864 because she is the petitioner, even though her income isn't enough. Your sister will file another I-864 in addition to the one filed by your wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! We plan to get marriage the end of this mounth! But I will get my I-693 Medical Exam done this coming Monday! Is that okay if I get it done before the marriage lisence?

Thank you!
I have a question. We got married in New Jersey which mean my married lisense is from New Jersey. But I will apply I-485 in North Carolina. Is that okie that my lisense from another state?

You can get married in any state or foreign country and then file I-485 in North Carolina (if you live in North Carolina).