Help !! I-485 Denied

Hi, Rdip:

BTW, We did not change our address at all, the attorney did change his address last April, however he still collects mail at the old address once a week, the denial letter was addressed to his old address and he just got it yesterday.

crystalview,

Sorry to hear about your case. I don't have another view on the process. Just let you know that I recieved FP notice at my home address, the attorney also received one even though that's 1 week after I received mine. I also rececived the approval letter at my home address, but the attorney doesn't received the approvel letter copy. I didn't change address in the 5 years of process, the attorney changed office address 2 years ago, but still keep the old addess and mail took about a week to go around in her office.

They do not say in 485 denial that you can appeal/MTR etc. But if they screw-up (ie any sort of error on the service's part) they do reconsider and reopen the case. After I sent my MTR -after 485 denial - it took about 6 weeks to get a notice/receipt from them saying that USCIS has reconsidered there decision previously taken and reopened the case....(the receipt date remains as your original and the notice date obviously changes)...modest way of saying that "sorry..we screwed up". In the MTR you guys should mention/explain your converstaion with the customer service and that in their records as well it indicates only ONE FP notice was sent out....and yes hopefully your attorney will update his address with USCIS on your MTR! My take is...one way or the other(MTR/new 485;file for both) you will be just fine !
:)

Rdip:

Thanks, in your case, which form to use for MTR, I-290A or B? I read the BCIS, seems like no need to use any forms for MTR. Since the deadline for filing MTR is 1 week from now, I am very anxious, however, my attorney seesm not very anxious. He told me that he will write a letter for me to print out and sign. Is G-28 required if my attorney is going to submit it.

What's the follow-up after MTR ? you got a receipt and # ? Thanks,
I did call customer service yesterday, the representative only saw one FP request which we've done back two year ago. I asked him when and where the other FP request were sent, he said maybe there is a mistake and ask me to talk to my lawyer to take appropriate actions, i.e. MTR.

I looked up in USCIS website, since Motion to Reopen is different from Motion to Reconsider, as well as Appeal (which use form I-290B), Anyone has successful experience of MTR and could you advise me on which form and fee ?

Rdip: In your case, does the denial letter comes with some forms ? for me the attorney only faxed me the denial letter with no other information. Thanks,

crystalview said:
I looked up in USCIS website, since Motion to Reopen is different from Motion to Reconsider, as well as Appeal (which use form I-290B), Anyone has successful experience of MTR and could you advise me on which form and fee ?

Rdip: In your case, does the denial letter comes with some forms ? for me the attorney only faxed me the denial letter with no other information. Thanks,

plz read
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/RepealDenial2.htm

Hi, PrinceofJungle:

Many thanks, Checked the website, but the weird thing is that in my denial letter it did not say anything about the follow-up procedures (i.e. MTR or appeal). Called customer service, saying that because it did not say anything how to follow-up, then just file a new I-485.

Background
When an immigration petition or application is denied or revoked by the USCIS, that decision may, in most cases, be appealed to a higher authority for review. In immigration proceedings, the appellate review authority is divided between two separate government agencies: the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO) within the USCIS, and the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), under the jurisdiction of the Executive Office of Immigration Review, United States Department of Justice.

If a petition or application is denied or revoked, you should carefully review the written decision that is issued by the USCIS. The notice will inform you of the reasons for the decision, notify you of the proper appellate jurisdiction and the applicable deadlines, and provide you with the correct USCIS form to file an appeal.

Plz read this too

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/aau.htm

Administrative Appeals Unit:

How Do I Appeal the Denial of My Petition or Application?

Background
Should a petition or application be denied or revoked by the USCIS, in most cases you may appeal that decision to a higher authority. The Administrative Appeals Unit ("AAU") has jurisdiction over 40 petitions and applications. Please see 8 CFR § 103.1 (f)(3)(iii) for further information . If you receive a denial notice, it will advise you of your right to appeal, the correct appellate jurisdiction (AAU or BIA), and provide you with the appropriate appeal form and time limit.

There are strict deadlines that must be met to properly file an appeal. The appeal must be filed with the correct fee at the office that made the original decision. You may file a brief (explanation) in support of the appeal. After review, the appellate authority may agree with you and change the original decision, disagree with you and affirm the original decision, or send the matter back to the original office for further action.

In addition to the right to appeal (in which you ask a higher authority to review a denial), you may file a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that made the unfavorable decision. By filing these motions, you may ask the office to reexamine or reconsider its decision. A motion to reopen must state the new facts that are to be provided in the reopened proceeding and must be accompanied by affidavits or other documentary evidence. A motion to reconsider must establish that the decision was based on an incorrect application of law or USCIS policy, and further establish that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made. Any motion to reopen or reconsider must be filed with the correct fee within 30 days of the decision.

Where Can I Find the Law?
The Administrative Appeals Unit has jurisdiction over those decisions listed at 8 CFR § 103.1(f)(3)(iii). There is no appellate review of denials of extension of stay or change of nonimmigrant status. Only one appeal may be filed for each denial or revocation; there is no appellate review of an appellate decision.

Who May Appeal?
Only the person that submitted the original application or petition may file the appeal. The petitioner alone has standing to appeal the denial of a visa petition. The beneficiary of a visa petition may not appeal the decision. For instance, if a United States employer petitioned for an immigrant visa for an employee living abroad, only the United States employer may appeal the denial. The employee living abroad may not appeal the denial.

The person appealing the decision may be represented by an attorney or representative. If the petitioner is represented, the appeal must be accompanied by a properly executed USCIS Form G-28 (Notice of Entry or Appearance as Attorney or Representative). The Form G-28 must be signed by both the attorney or representative and the person who filed the original petition or application.

How Do I Appeal?
You should review the Form I-292 or notice of denial that accompanied the adverse decision to determine whether you may appeal the denial of your petition or application. The decision will inform you of the proper appellate jurisdiction and provide you with the correct form.

If you desire to appeal the denial of a petition or application, the notice of appeal must be filed within 30 days of the date of the decision. If you receive the decision by mail, you must file the appeal within 33 days of the date of the decision. If you wish to appeal the revocation of an approved immigrant petition, you must file the appeal within 15 days of the date of the decision, or within 18 days of the date of the decision if the decision is received by mail.

If the Administrative Appeals Unit has jurisdiction over the decision, the notice of appeal must be filed on Form I-290B (Notice of Appeal to the Administrative Appeal Unit). The appeal must be filed with the office that made the original decision. A brief (explanation) may be filed in support of your appeal. The fee must be included. If you require a fee waiver, please see fee waiver request procedures, and the USCIS fee waiver policy memorandum. Forms are available by calling 1-800-870-3676, or by submitting a request through our forms by mail system.

Can Anyone Help Me?
If advice is needed, you may contact the USCIS District Office near your home for a list of community-based, non-profit organizations that may be able to assist you. The employees of these organizations are not USCIS employees. Please see our USCIS field offices home page for more information on contacting USCIS offices.

-----------------------

does it help ? if still not found plz let us know, I would try to find,
also try to contact MTR ppl which thread was posted. so u also get some idea , send them all pvt msg asking what they did or their attorney did file.
u would get some respone from them that my help u .

would post soon .

Good Luck and don't worry about u are not alone in this boat (FP based MTR)

MTR for me was filed by my attorney ... I am not up on the forms he filled. I did proof read the cover letter...which explained the service's error and the reason for Motion to Re-open. I am not sure if he did or did not fill out any forms. The denial letter was sent to my attorney...I did not get anything separately...my attorney faxed the denial letter to me. After he sent the MTR (btw, do get the fedex tracking # from your attorney to check if ins recd it on time etc)...I just checked the online msg and after I think about 6 weeks I got a receipt/notice in mail saying INS had re-considered their decision and reopened the case (written in small print) in the regular Notice of Action.You got to psh your attorney to be a little more aggresive and file a solid case (both MTR and new 485) . Given your situation what is your attorney's opinion on the outcome ... does he feel comfortable that the new one files will not have any problems (I mean is he convinced that its an error that INS will easily appreciate?)

rdip:

Many thanks for your message.
Did you remember signing G-28 ? Your attorney did not send copies of the documents ? I asked my attorney if it is necessary to sign G-28 for MTR, he said no, he will take care of it and he will only send me a draft cover letter for me to sign. I am not sure if that is correct or not, because G-28 is required if attorney is representing me to present any USCIS application. Well, maybe, I am too anxious and frustrated, the attorney should know better than me, anyway I paid him $1500, I should trust him to do a good job.

Technically, it is the error of USCIS, the attorney told me that there are only two options for me now and he will give it a try for MTR and filing a new I485. Though it seems to be USCIS error, however, he can not ganrantee it, He says that sometimes it is totally up to the fairness of the officer who handles the cases (MTR will go to the same officer). Hope everything will work out. Thanks again.

Crystalview,
Based on my experience Lawyers receive RFEs and applicants FP notices. Also, I don't understand why did'nt they sent an "intend to deny" instead of the denial already issued. I really want to know what your attorney is doing to save your case. Is he working right away? don't he has someone to contact directly? Many attorneys have contacts for emergencies. If you have not changed address since you applied there is no way they can deny your case based on that!!!! Contact another attorney if necessary!
God Bless you. Keep me informed.

MVUSA:

I do not know what's happening. Both my spouse and I at two different addresses received separately our 1st FP notice (applicant copy) which was directly mailed to us and got done 2 years ago, and we have not changed our address all the time. Not sure if my attorney also got FP copies (he did not send me copies of the 1st FP). RFE did go to attorney and he later faxed to to me, so is the Denial letter. Generally, he is doing a good job, sending copies to me for all the documents/receipts/approval notices for I-140/485, 3 EAD /APs. All I know is that he is preparing MTR letter for us, as well as new I-485 for safety. Because the outcome of MTR is not sure and may take time. I have all the proofs to dispute that the denial reasons is not true. Besides, in my spouse's denial letter, though case # and A# appear to be correct, however, it stated the date of the I-485 filing as xx, xx, 1998, which totally does match the real one, xx, xx, 2003 (month/day/year, all of them). Therefore, the attorney says that maybe it was mixed up with someone else's case. Hope the MTR will work out.

I believe it was a mistake!

crystalview
Keep the faith. I really think USCIS mixed up your case with someone elses.
As you said, you have proof that you haven't changed address since you've received EAD two weeks ago. Plus USCIS has to know that documents can easily get lost in the mail (if they did sent FPs). It's time they change their mailing policies and begin using certified mail or proof of signature mail for this important letters. Is good that you have a trusting attorney on your side. I'm sure he'll resolve this problem for you. Let's hope that by next week that "motion" can get to USCIS and soon you 'll have some kind of answer.
I'll keep in you in my prayers. Keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
UnitedNations, MVUSA and else:

I really appreciate your advice which is very helpful !

The denial letter is very simple (see below), it did not give any information what to do next. I am not sure if there is instructions came with the denial letter, my attorney only faxed the letter to me.

UnitedNations: where did your file your granted MTR ?

I talked to an immigration officer via USCIS customer service and he checked the database and it only show one FP notice/results which was directly mailed to us and was done in May, 2003, and the address is still the same. The 2nd FP never came which I've been expecting all the time. The immigration officer at USCIS customer service suggested that, if I am going to file MTR, it would be helpful to include my lease agreement / utility bill as proof to show no change of address, as well as copies of the 1st FP notification and receipt. Besides, for past 11 years, I have all been in legal status. I think my case is very straightforward and should got no problem at all, however, the USCIS mistake is causing a lot of trouble at a worst time. Hope USBCIS will see that it is their error and grant MTR and approve the case soon and everything will work out. Do you think contacting senate/congressman would help ?

================================
"Upon consideration, it is ordered that your application for permanent residence, Form I-485, filed on ................be denied for the following reason: This office has mailed at least two fingerprint appointment notices to your address, including the latest change of address received from you. You have not appeared for printing. You have failed to meet the requirements of 8 CFR 103.2(e); therefore, your application is denied, sincererly,

Evelyn M Upchurch,
EMU #38

crystalview said:
rdip:

Many thanks for your message.
Did you remember signing G-28 ? Your attorney did not send copies of the documents ? I asked my attorney if it is necessary to sign G-28 for MTR, he said no, he will take care of it and he will only send me a draft cover letter for me to sign. I am not sure if that is correct or not, because G-28 is required if attorney is representing me to present any USCIS application. Well, maybe, I am too anxious and frustrated, the attorney should know better than me, anyway I paid him $1500, I 'should trust him to do a good job.

Technically, it is the error of USCIS, the attorney told me that there are only two options for me now and he will give it a try for MTR and filing a new I485. Though it seems to be USCIS error, however, he can not ganrantee it, He says that sometimes it is totally up to the fairness of the officer who handles the cases (MTR will go to the same officer). Hope everything will work out. Thanks again.
as other said...the G28 you previously filled out will be used by attorney .... thats the least of formalities. Well, if your attorney is filing the MTR...why do you have to sign? Unless ofcourse you are the one explaining the mail/FP situation and the letter is being written by your attorney. Hopefully on top of that letter an attorney will add his own cover letter re-enforcing your case...since he is the one representing you. Personally I think your case is straight forward (personal opinion only)...and the only guarantee hard to give will be WHEN it will be adjudicated....as it most likely will be re-opened without much of a problem.(Because of the "WHEN" question, you should file a new 485 as well)

at this point you do not want to waste your time with congressman...just do a thorugh proof-reading of your letter ....ask your attorney to make any changes since you can probably appreciate your situation better than him...attach ALL of the evidence that you might think would be helpful..and above all have faith...I remember asking my attorney (after I got couple sympathetic emails from my attorney saying that your 485 was denied ... even though I had an approved 140. I had to literally tell them that the case seemed like an ins bungle/error and why should'nt they be able to fix the problem....they said the same thing about not being able to guarantee etc ....anyhow things worked JUST FINE)...so hang in there
Best Wishes

140 and 485 denied

My 140 and 485 have been denied because of missing documents/documentation error in my 140.I was asked to appeal within 30 days with form I290b.Please help me understand the following

what are the chances of me getting approved, if I appeal.

How much time it takes from the tsc to give a decision.

Do cases get approved after they file 290b.

Unitednations can you pls help me.

rdip:

many thanks, i think you may be right that my attorney want me to sign an affaivat/letter (for confirming FP / address / no 2nd FP notice), I will find out more early week when he send me the cover letter. Thanks,

unluckyme!

unluckyme said:
My 140 and 485 have been denied because of missing documents/documentation error in my 140.I was asked to appeal within 30 days with form I290b.Please help me understand the following

what are the chances of me getting approved, if I appeal.

How much time it takes from the tsc to give a decision.

Do cases get approved after they file 290b.

Unitednations can you pls help me.

If they explained you what to do (file 290b). nothing to worry about. Althoug it might take some time...