• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

help- eligibility country for dv 2011

zackkk

Registered Users (C)
i was born in ethiopia but i'm citizin of eritrea. does it matter which country i put for eligibility for dv 2011??

BRAZIL, CANADA, CHINA (mainland-born), COLOMBIA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, ECUADOR, EL SALVADOR, GUATEMALA, HAITI, INDIA, JAMAICA, MEXICO, PAKISTAN, PERU, PHILIPPINES, POLAND, SOUTH KOREA, UNITED KINGDOM and VIETNAM. If you're not one of these then you're good to go

he obtain your eligibility via country of birth so i believe you should put Ethiopia

However, if by mistake you enter another country, for which you are not eligible (Eritrea), you will still be allowed to get a visa (under Ethiopia), if applying under Eritrea gave you no benefits over applying under Ethiopia, because those 2 countries belong to the same region (Africa).

i was born in ethiopia but i'm citizin of eritrea. does it matter which country i put for eligibility for dv 2011??

Hello zackkk,

Be careful, people have been disqualified for entering the wrong country.

Read the DV2011 instructions. I copied a section of the instructions that may apply to you:

To enter the DV lottery, you must be a native of one of the listed countries.
Native of a country whose natives qualify: In most cases, this means the country in which you were born. However, there are two other ways you may be able to qualify. First, if you were born in a country whose natives are ineligible but your spouse was born in a country whose natives are eligible, you can claim your spouse’s country of birth—provided that both you and your spouse are on the selected entry, are issued visas, and enter the United States simultaneously. Second, if you were born in a country whose natives are ineligible, but neither of your parents was born there or resided there at the time of your birth, you may claim nativity in one of your parents’ countries of birth if it is a country whose natives qualify for the DV-2011 program.

I understand, from this paragraph, that you should enter Ethiopia as your country of eligibility.

Be careful, people have been disqualified for entering the wrong country.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf

9 FAM 42.33 N4.3 Errors in Choice of Country of
Chargeability
(CT:VISA-1090; 10-23-2008)
If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the
initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying. However, if a DV
applicant chooses a country of chargeability during DV registration that is
within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of
chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from
his error, you may continue processing the application.

The conditionals seem to be satisfied. However, I am not saying you should put a wrong country on purpose.