Help! Choose between EAD and H1B

freeskyline

Registered Users (C)
Hi, my 140 was approved and 485 is pending. My EAD/AP and H1B are all about to expire in 6 months. (I never used my EAD. Working on H1B). My company's policy is that the company will apply either EAD/AP renewal or H1B 7th-year extension for me. They ask me to choose right now.

Can I do EAD/AP renewal by myself? Shall I ask them to do the 7th-year H1B extension for me? Suggestions will be highly appreciated.

freeskyline said:
Can I do EAD/AP renewal by myself? Shall I ask them to do the 7th-year H1B extension for me?

The EAD is cheaper, and allows you to work for anyone (not just your employer). It seems to me like that gives you more options and is safer in case you lose your job and need to find another one quickly.

Thanks, TheRealCanadian.

I wanted to keep both H1B and EAD. Can I do EAD/AP renewal by myself and let my company extend my H1B to the 7th year?

Thanks.

yes

tell company to extend ur h1b. u can apply for ead urself and it is cheap and easy. also h1 is valid as soon as they receive ur h1 renewal application. on the other hand EAD takes 45-120 days for approval. if ur EAD expires in less than 90 days h1b is ur safest bet. good luck.

HumHongeKamyaab said:
tell company to extend ur h1b. u can apply for ead urself and it is cheap and easy. also h1 is valid as soon as they receive ur h1 renewal application. on the other hand EAD takes 45-120 days for approval. if ur EAD expires in less than 90 days h1b is ur safest bet. good luck.

Thank you so much, HumHongeKamyaab!