• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Help?!? AOS - Very Confused

Rebelfactory2

Registered Users (C)
Hi everything. I am a winner of DV 2008 from Europe (though a very high case number 25XXX) and have been reading these forms which have helped me a lot. However I received a second letter from KCC informing me that I must sumbit my info to USCIS from now on.

In the 2nd paragraph the letter says:

"You MUST sumbit the DV Notification letter we sent you to the USCIS Office nearest your place of residence in order to apply for adjustment of status. You may apply frm Oct 1, 2007, until Sept 20, 2008."

Now I understand I have to wait for my case number to become active (probably sometime in june or july next year right?) and then I can send in my i485. However the part that confuses me is that they said I must send in the Notification Letter to the USCIS office nearest me? Is this now? To Chicago? Just the letter with nothing? Please help!

Some facts: I am an F1 Student. I filled out all the forms for the NL letter, sent it back, received a second letter from KCC, just paid the $375 DV fees (for 3 people so 3x 375) and also received that recepit. Here I am now.. very confused.

Please help, anyone.

Thanks a lot!

Sam
(from Switzerland)

Hi Sam,

Include that letter in your AOS package when your number becomes current. I think that letter is to confirm that you're doing AOS.

Hi, first off thanks for your response. I was thinking what you said until I realized it tells me to send in the NL letter to the USCIS office nearest me, and then it tells me to send my i485 to the chicago lockbox..

They are different places, so i figured maybe different times? It is very confusing.

I think might you should read carefully throw this forum about AOS or CP (i am doing cp); many people suggest that for high CNs it is recomended CP not AOS. I hope sombody with more experiance can tell you more. Also I have read that people with student visas sometime prefer AOS, in this case they do not travel outside of USA for CP and do not jepardize to losse their status; however read more throw the forum might you find helpful some info.

You see, read some posts, expecialy from LucyMo and other with experiance and folow their suggestions, i think they could only help us in understanding the whole proces, what to do and when to prepare what;

with your case number, I wouldn't risk AOS....

however, since you are here in a non-immigrant status, and you choose consular processing, and still don't get visa on time, then you won't be able to come back to the US to finish your studies. If you do AOS, and you don't get to adjust, you will theoretically fall back on your F-1 status (if, of course, the adjudicating officer doesn't decide to strip you of your F-1 status because you proved immigrant intent). It's a sticky situation for everyone in a non-immigrant status, especially the ones with a very high case number.

with your case number, I wouldn't risk AOS....

I was honestly debating that. However as I am a new F1 Student here (just started my studies recently) I really do not want to jepordize that doing CP. I looked at some old Bulletins, and in July 2007 the numbers were up to 23,000 with an upcoming post of Augusts number being "Current" and then in August 2007 the bulletin continued to say Current for that month and Septmeber. Am I understanding this right, all the numbers became active at that point? That thought along with the fact that this year the numbers seem to be moving faster than the previous years made me decide that perhaps this year my number (25XXX) will go current in June or so?

On a site note, can I change from AOS to CP at this point? If so how much time and how, just inform KCC?

Thanks for all your time everyone.

at this point, you can change to CP. IN the summer of next year it will be too late.

The point is that you can only file for AOS when your number is current. Usually local district offices are very slow and don't make an extra effort for the DV cases - so, you may simply be out of time when you apply for AOS in July-August-September of next year.

I see what you are saying, so in other words even if my number becomes current and I send everything in, my USCIS office (im in CA) may be slow which will then result in not getting the Visa issued by the cut off date. Thats a very good point.

I talked to a lawyer at first (before I decided it was too expensive) and he told me to do AOS. But I suppose CP really is better. How can I change this? Also with a case number such as mine (25XXX) would my paperwork still only be started once the bulleting says EU26000 or whatever and then I would get an interview at my hone country?

Thanks for your help, CP really may be better for me. I am just worried that I can get my Visa revoked if I get denied, but I don't have anything bad that may get me denied I dont believe.

I have done some more research. So the cut off date we speak of (Sept 30th) applied when I do AOS. I understand that completely. However does USCIS also need to finish processing everything by Sept 30th? I have read that it takes anywhere from 1-5 months to get that all done and that will definitly make me run out.

I must really figure out how to change to CP. If I go that route will I know my appointment soon, or do I need to wait for my number to be current for them (KCC I assume) to inform me?

However does USCIS also need to finish processing everything by Sept 30th?
yes, you need your AOS approved by Sep 30. IN the case of CP, you need to have your visa issued by Sep 30.

I must really figure out how to change to CP. If I go that route will I know my appointment soon,
no, you will know your appt date when your number is current. But with CP, you can send your forms NOW.

I must really figure out how to change to CP.
why don't you contact KCC?