Help a young guy in love , please. ^_^ (bring future wife to US)

TheFaceOfMany

Hello and thank you for even looking at this! :)

I am new here , and have somethings I want to make sure about.

Here is my story , I met a great lady from South Korea , we talked for a long time online and we fell in love and got to meet at last on Oct 1st. Now we are sure we want to marry and spend are lifes together.. I am so happy! :D

The plan is to marry in December a few days after my birthday , in Korea.
After I get home I will start the process of getting her here , I am reading alot right now. Like this site below.
http://seoul.usembassy.gov/spouse_of_american.html

I will need to fill out the I-130 petition form and G-325 biographic information form. Plus a affidavit of support? Also I need to send in photos of us together and Marriage Certificate , and anything else? Also do I send these all at the same time an are there any other steps I am missing to her over here?

Also how long would you guys say , we would have to wait??

Gosh... I have been worrying alot over this , and I have not even been married yet! :eek: I love her so much and just want to get her here with no problems.

Thank you to all who read this and reply.

P.S. I'm 24 going on 25. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are You a Citizen of USA?

If you are a citizen of USA.

There is another option called a finance visa.
You can get her to USA on that visa and get married here.

R2J4.

Thanks for the Reply!

Yes i'm a citizen born in Arizona.

If we did that , does she have to go back after we marry and wait for a green card or she stay? How does that work? :eek:

My girlfriend she said her friend is waiting on a fiance visa for a long time now , could be up to 6 to 12 months?

Thanks!

The most fastest way is:
your girlfriend can come to the state by a visitor visa (B1), then get marry in the state, file I130, I485 (AOS), if she want to travel, then file I131, if she want to get a work permit, file for EAD.
But you have to remember, if a visitor INTEND to go to state and get marry, that is illegal, however, there are many way to show she has no INTENTION to get marry in state.

The other ways is, file a fiance visa, then she can come to the state and get marry. Afterward, u can file I130, I131, I485, etc. (I am not sure how long for F1, but the process for I130+I485 is about half year recently)

If she want to stay in south korea and wait for the process, she can go for CP, u can file I130 after u get marry, then, she has to wait for the interview in south korea. (This is what I am doing, it takes about 10 months for the whole process)

My husband and I met on the internet, too. We dated for 3 years seeing each other approximately every six months. After we both agreed it was more really serious, he filed the fiancee visa petition. i-129, I believe.

It is easier to bring her here and get married in the USA because you will not need additional notarization and translations for the documents you obtained in Korea. I'm sure she wants her family around, which could be done through a visitor Visa for her parents etc.

If you want to file you should mail in supporting documents from your employer and notarized bank statements with information about your account/s.

From what I heard it's far more complicated to get married outside the US.
I am from Germany and the processing time for K1 (fiance visa) took about three months. If your case is approved your girlfriend will be granted 90 days in the USA for you both to get married and file Adjustment of Status.

We are also both 24 years old, just wanted to add that because I know it's a huge impact on an early twen's life to deal with this kind of bureaucracy.

nice pic!
anyways...don't do the B1/B2 visitor visa..that can get you in trouble.
If you get married in Korea...then file the I-130 for her and after you receive the notice of Receipt from the USCIS then you can get her to come on a K-3 visa. So she does not wait too long outside of the US.
The other option is to bring her in the K fiancee visa...but you would have to get married here. Check the forms...the instructions are simple.

micmic said:
The most fastest way is:
your girlfriend can come to the state by a visitor visa (B1), then get marry in the state, file I130, I485 (AOS), if she want to travel, then file I131, if she want to get a work permit, file for EAD.
But you have to remember, if a visitor INTEND to go to state and get marry, that is illegal, however, there are many way to show she has no INTENTION to get marry in state.

The other ways is, file a fiance visa, then she can come to the state and get marry. Afterward, u can file I130, I131, I485, etc. (I am not sure how long for F1, but the process for I130+I485 is about half year recently)

If she want to stay in south korea and wait for the process, she can go for CP, u can file I130 after u get marry, then, she has to wait for the interview in south korea. (This is what I am doing, it takes about 10 months for the whole process)

Are you trying to give illegal advice or are you a fool? She cannot come to the US on a visitor visa and then get married if that is her intention. I cannot believe you suggest this, especially given the long discussions we have had about it on this NG. But even if you did not follow it, you know that that is not the correct way by having done the research on USCIS.gov and other resources. (you indicate that you know this, b/c of your comment about "may ways that you can show that you did not have intention".

Therefore:
1. Either you are purposefully advocating illegal activity OR
2. You are a fool that cannot even apply your basic research to your suggestions.

Pick one, but neither is very flattering, I am afraid.

Very Pretty pictrues. Dont get to see them here in the forum at all :)

To TheFaceOfMany:
You should be fine. The fiance visa is a good option. The B1 route is not the ethical way of getting things done, but a lot of people do and it works. I wont advocate for it as it is not the right thing to do, but since it has already been told here, you now know that you have a way out. With US immigration, intention is everything. So you may want to be careful with that.

Hey Ari welcome back...nice to see you around.

Hey GREAT pictures...TheFaceOfMany you two look so cute...we have never seen pictures of people huh? that is a nice touch...

To Tschernobyl...I love your tatoos!!! your hubby look like a rock star!! waouwww!

Yeap, I agree. The fiance visa is a good option IF you both want to marry here or if her family (at least the closest one) can come to the wedding. If not then, you can marry in South Korea and then ask for her as spouse.

In any case you will have to wait from 3-6 months I think for the fiance visa and almost the same when is spouse, but that really depends on the Consulate. In any case would be good to keep ALL the emails, print them and pictures of both of you with your family, friends, etc.

Good luck

pianoplayer said:
Are you trying to give illegal advice or are you a fool? She cannot come to the US on a visitor visa and then get married if that is her intention. I cannot believe you suggest this, especially given the long discussions we have had about it on this NG. But even if you did not follow it, you know that that is not the correct way by having done the research on USCIS.gov and other resources. (you indicate that you know this, b/c of your comment about "may ways that you can show that you did not have intention".

Therefore:
2. You are a fool that cannot even apply your basic research to your suggestions.

You don't have to be that dramatic Pianoplayer. I think that poster simply got carried away by the many cases where a visitor gets married and gets a GC. Some are authentic some are not. He/she simply does not know that that route can get messy if there is not enough proof that the transition was a valid one.
But don't try to act like you never heard people thinking of doing that...again...don't be "dramatic" about these things. Simply advice that USCIS is very picky when it comes to reviewing the situation of the visitor-to-GC change and there may be trouble ahead. Say its illegal but don't quickly judge the person about it.
I know you don't like people advicing illegal tricks here, but don't use this forum to quickly shoot people with labels about their morality or intelligence.
This is not Texas...where prejudice and guns :) are the daily pass time. (this is a joke...please dont shoot me).

machelon said:
You don't have to be that dramatic Pianoplayer. I think that poster simply got carried away by the many cases where a visitor gets married and gets a GC. Some are authentic some are not. He/she simply does not know that that route can get messy if there is not enough proof that the transition was a valid one.
But don't try to act like you never heard people thinking of doing that...again...don't be "dramatic" about these things. Simply advice that USCIS is very picky when it comes to reviewing the situation of the visitor-to-GC change and there may be trouble ahead. Say its illegal but don't quickly judge the person about it.
I know you don't like people advicing illegal tricks here, but don't use this forum to quickly shoot people with labels about their morality or intelligence.
This is not Texas...where prejudice and guns :) are the daily pass time. (this is a joke...please dont shoot me).

You are not speaking to a native Texan here --- so do not expect me to be offended. I only go to school here. If I have significant ties to any state personally, it would be CA, since that is where I own property and have relatives.

Incidentally, while I have found people here in TX who are like that (mainly in the countryside that is), I have also encountered many very enlightened and educated people. Dallas is a very diverse city. I had the same premonitions when I moved here to start school, but I was proven wrong.

Another point - I happen to be anti-guns. So you are safe he he.

As for the illegal immigration, I stand by my comment. Advice, as that given by the OP, is foolish or worse. People should think before they write nonsense like that. If you wish to advise people, you need to make a good faith effort to research the topic. I think you have had to learn that lesson before too --- perhaps that is why you felt the need to bring this up.

I agree with pianoplayer.
It's not only illegal (who cares! Right?) but also risky.
First of all, it's not easy to obtain a B visa. Then, your case could be judged in the wrong way by the immigration officer.
Before we read another thread of "why they denied us? why they're so mean etc etc", I'd follow the legal path.
Get her a K1-fiance visa, get married in the US and then she could adjust her status.
Marrying over there and get a K3 spouse visa would be good as well, but I'm afraid the wait is longer.

pianoplayer said:

Therefore:

Well, I am not offensive. I stated "holding a vistor visa to enter US and get marry is illegal" and many ppl in this board are committing same CRIME.
I will tell him every route that he can try, but he would take his own risk.

I know you want a "CLEAN" environment, however, the world is not "CLEAN" in fact.

Micmic, you are correct in that there are members here adjusting from non-immigrant visas. I cannot speak for everyone, but many of us are doing it due to circumstances that arose subsequent to applying for said visas. Personally, had I known 3 years ago - when I first started coming to the US on a TN - what I know now, I would almost certainly have chosen an alternate route.

Is this hypocritical? Perhaps. But I for one would prefer not to see this newsgroup lose all credibility as it degenerates into a “how to scam the government” forum, replete with advice advocating criminal activity.
If your intention was to help the OP, which I think it was, you should consider that following that route carries what is for many people an unnecessary risk, and makes a stressful process that much more burdensome.

Heretic said:
Micmic, you are correct in that there are members here adjusting from non-immigrant visas. I cannot speak for everyone, but many of us are doing it due to circumstances that arose subsequent to applying for said visas. Personally, had I known 3 years ago - when I first started coming to the US on a TN - what I know now, I would almost certainly have chosen an alternate route.

Is this hypocritical? Perhaps. But I for one would prefer not to see this newsgroup lose all credibility as it degenerates into a “how to scam the government” forum, replete with advice advocating criminal activity.
If your intention was to help the OP, which I think it was, you should consider that following that route carries what is for many people an unnecessary risk, and makes a stressful process that much more burdensome.

I cannot agree with this more. There are many people who came to the US on nonimmigrant visas whose circumstances changed and who changed status legitimately. I would even suggest that there may be a few who legitimately came on tourist (B1) visas, who truly did not anticipate changing status when they entered the country. There are many fraudsters that do take this route, but I DO BELIEVE there are some people who genuinely end up in that situation in good faith.

However, that is not the sort of route to encourage, in what you appropriately call "let's see how we can scam the government".

I find it ridiculous that some on this NG feel the need to make assumptions about people's politics and morality.Machelon, for example, refers to me as the Dr Phil of immigration and made some references to Texas and guns.

First of all, he was much mistaken, since I am not from Texas and cannot possibly represent Texas, just because I am finishing a degree here. As I have pointed out, contrary to my own initial beliefs, I have encountered some very openminded, educated and even liberal people here in TX, especially in the Dallas area.

Second, I think Machelon, were he to know me outside of the NG, would find me surprisingly liberal, moderate at worst. I tend to be more conservative on economic issues, but am very liberal when it comes to most social policy matters e.g. religion and the state, homosexuality, health care etc.

Third, Machelon makes the fundamental mistake of thinking that I believe all of the current immigration policy is correct and just. That is not the truth. I think substantial reform is needed to immigration policy. But the law is what is right now.

I know that when an attorney stands in front of an immigration judge it does little good to argue about what we think the law should be. Apart from certain exceptional policy considerations, judges follow black letter law most of the time.

Therefore, to advise people to follow a route which is illegal is FOOLISH. And by saying this, I am not judging the person's morality or politics --- just the fact that he/she gave foolish advice. That's it. By all means, if you want to argue immigration law in the public sphere, put all your energy into the political process.
BUT DO NOT ADVISE NEWBIES AND INEXPERIENCED APPLICANTS WITH NONSENSE and advice that can land them in deep trouble. Period.

Luckily I have a thick skin. But perhaps Machelon owes the people of TX an apology. I doubt it will be forthcoming though.