• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

health insurance?

anaorti

Registered Users (C)
ok, so after you get the green card when you come to the US you need a health insurance (while you are trying to get a fixed job, so far I have a part time job that doesnt cover health insurance)..so anyone knows of a 'good' and relatively cheap health insurance?

thanks!!

ok, so after you get the green card when you come to the US you need a health insurance (while you are trying to get a fixed job, so far I have a part time job that doesnt cover health insurance)..so anyone knows of a 'good' and relatively cheap health insurance?

thanks!!

Insurance is very expensive in the states unless you have a good job that offers relatively cheap insurance were they pay most of the premiums. I pay $170 every month for my health, dental and eye insurance. It would have cost me about $600-$800 every month for the type of coverage that i have if not for my job.

thanks!!

U might be able to find a cheap insurance premium that u will be able to afford but it they would probably pay for nothin. I've had a few of those in college and i wish i didn't spend my hard earned money on them because they never paid for any of my doctors visit. They always came up with a reason why my claim was denied.

Consider a High Deductible insurance plan

I don't have a specific plan to recommend but consider a high deductible insurance plan. Something with say a $5000 annual decuctible. This will lower the cost of insurance considerably.

The point of a high deductible plan is that it won't save you from day to day doctor's visit expenses, but will save you if you ever need to go for an operation or extensive hospital checkup.

Good and Reasonable Health Insurance

Hi...I have health insurance, that I pay for, through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida.

It is for catastropic use only...such as a car wreck, or serious illness only but that is all I want because I do not waste time or money on unecessary doctor or emergency room visits and I pay $76.00 a month...for US insurance that is a bargain.

Like others, we have a good policy (through Etna in Florida) but with a high ($5000) deductable. This covers 50% of ad-hoc doctors vistis too. The premium us $275 per month which covers the two of us. Dental is $25 per month and allows regular check-ups and emergency dental coverage, plus 2 fillings per year and flossing.

Like others, we have a good policy (through Etna in Florida) but with a high ($5000) deductable. This covers 50% of ad-hoc doctors vistis too. The premium us $275 per month which covers the two of us. Dental is $25 per month and allows regular check-ups and emergency dental coverage, plus 2 fillings per year and flossing.

My annual deductible is $1000 and if i use any of the HCA hospitals in the U.S and oversea's, i don't have to pay any deductible.My bill will all be paid for.

That sounds very good. As you say, the policy would be very expensive though were it not part funded by your company.

My annual deductible is $1000 and if i use any of the HCA hospitals in the U.S and oversea's, i don't have to pay any deductible.My bill will all be paid for.

that doesn't sound like a very good policy. Too expensive and a high deductible...

The policy is very good, and I chose the high deductable. Fortunately we have money so our main concern is to cover for major emergencies, not day to day issues, so a $5000 deductable is fine for us. We could have chosen lower dedictables.

Also the dental care is a very good inclusion in this policy, again especially with kids. Many people here don't bother with dental care and their children don't get the regular check ups they need as they can not afford it without a dental policy.

Bear in mind the policy includes our 4 children too, so the price is not bad at all.

that doesn't sound like a very good policy. Too expensive and a high deductible...

ok, this question may sound stupid but i'm pretty new in all this, so...what is a 'high deductible insurance plan'? I didn't understand your posts...

thank you

ok, this question may sound stupid but i'm pretty new in all this, so...what is a 'high deductible insurance plan'? I didn't understand your posts...

thank you

It means that ur insurance company will not pay any of our bills until you have made payments up to your deductible amount.
Say you have a deductible of $2000, and u have a hospital bill of $1500, u will be required to pay the bill out of pocket on ur own. But say ur bill was $2100, u'll have to pay $2000 and ur insurance would pay $100.
The less ur deductible, the less you'll have to pay out of pocket but you will have to pay more on ur insurance premium.

The policy is very good
$5,000 deductible and $275/month premium? for 6 people - maybe, but deductible is too high anyway.

We at some point had to buy BCBS insurance $60/pp pm, $1,500 deductible, 90% coverage. Somewhat better, and they had family plans with a better rate.

Having a good employer with good and affordable insurance is a must. Right now we are paying $120 for 2 ppl a month, 90% covered, $150 deductible. It's nice. Before that we paid $40/month for 2 ppl, 100% covered, no deductible. Even better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm paying almost $500 a month in premiums for health insurance and dental and my employer pays about the same or even a little bit more for me. I have no deductible and so far I only had to pay one bigger medical bill ($400-ish) because the company who did an ultrasound during an ER visit was out of network. And of course I have to pay co-pays. But that's all. I have a wife and a 7 months old son. And as far as I know it covers prescription medicines too.

In my opinion health insurance is the best thing to buy and is very beneficial for us. There are many kind of health insurance some are of short term or for life time. Health insurance cover all the expense related to or health,which include medicine ,doctors fees , hospital charges and also cover our loss in business. i found its best and every one should buy it for safety of these life.

It is best to get quotes from many insurance companies. It is cheaper to buy insurance online since it is less work for insurance companies. Compare quotes and pick the best offer. You can also try a local insurance agency if they can match the offer

I pay about $170 a month too in premiums, with Kaiser, and my employer covers the bulk of my total premium costs. This covers general, dental, and eye. Each doctor's visit does come with a $25 co-pay, and various deductibles depending on treatment. Most of the time its just the co-pay. Recently, my kid needed a tooth extraction which would have cost us $800 and something, but insurance covered most of the cost, and we were left with a $145 deductible payment.

Two days after arriving in the US, that same child bumped her head while playing and needed stitches. We evidently didnt have any insurance through any employer, nor had Medi-Cal. We had to pay $100 at check-in at the clinic, and 8 stitches later for a 15 min procedure we were left with a bill of $250. Cant say enough how much of a relief medical insurance covers.