Health Insurance for Asylees

HoustonAssi

Hello!

Wondering who're in process of Asylum; what are they doing to get health benefits or health insurance.

Are you able to get Health insurance using your EAD card etc?
Pls share your experiences in this regard

Stay strong!!

California's Medicaid (called Medi-Cal) is currently available to low-income children under 26 and elderly people who are 50 or over, regardless of immigration status. It will only be available to low-income people aged 26 to 49 regardless of immigration status starting in 2024. For now, low-income people aged 26 to 49 need to be in certain immigration statuses to get Medi-Cal, and I am not aware of pending asylum as a status that can get it in California.

Also, low-income people of any age are eligible for Emergency Medicaid (called Emergency Medi-Cal in California) regardless of immigration status, but this only covers emergency treatment.

California's Medicaid (called Medi-Cal) is currently available to low-income children under 26 and elderly people who are 50 or over, regardless of immigration status. It will only be available to low-income people aged 26 to 49 regardless of immigration status starting in 2024. For now, low-income people aged 26 to 49 need to be in certain immigration statuses to get Medi-Cal, and I am not aware of pending asylum as a status that can get it in California.

Also, low-income people of any age are eligible for Emergency Medicaid (called Emergency Medi-Cal in California) regardless of immigration status, but this only covers emergency treatment.
Thank You for the detailed info.

Hello!

Wondering who're in process of Asylum; what are they doing to get health benefits or open enrollment 2023 health insurance.

Are you able to get Health insurance using your EAD card etc?
Pls share your experiences in this regard

Stay strong!!
Hello,

Navigating healthcare while in the process of seeking asylum can be challenging, and individuals often rely on various means to access health benefits or insurance. While I'm not a legal expert, here are some common ways people may seek health coverage during this period:

1. Affordable Care Act (ACA): Some asylees may be eligible for health insurance through the ACA marketplace, depending on their status and income.
  2. State Medicaid: Depending on your state, asylees with limited income may qualify for Medicaid.
  3. EAD Card: Employment Authorization Document (EAD) cardholders may be able to purchase health insurance through their employer or through the ACA marketplace.
  4. Local Resources: Local nonprofits, clinics, or healthcare providers may offer assistance and guidance on accessing healthcare.
Sharing experiences and advice within the asylum community can be invaluable, so feel free to ask others for their insights and stay resilient in your journey.

From my experience, using your EAD card can sometimes open up options for getting coverage, but it really depends on your situation and where you're located.
Personally, I found it helpful to do some research and reach out to local organizations or community groups that specialize in assisting immigrants. They often have resources and guidance on accessing health benefits.
Oh, and if you're ever dealing with any healthcare billing issues, I came across some useful info about HCC audits that might come in handy. Check out this link for more details: https://fortismedicalbilling.com/hcc-audits/