Health coverage for a new immigrant

litmu

Registered Users (C)
My mom would join me as a new immigrant. I want to ensure she has access to a doctor, emergencies and prescriptions if need be. She is 65 yrs. I believe as new immigrant she does not qualify for Medicare nor can purchase Medicare (or Medicaid) coverage, Part A (emergencies) or Part B (doc visits) through BlueCross or other big Providers. Obviously she is excluded from buying a regular health plan due to her age. I believe my employer would as well not cover her (as a dependent), so:

a) what are my options?
b) Does Pres. Obama's health care law (although effective 2014) provide a viable option to purchase health coverage for such new immigrants?

My mom would join me as a new immigrant. I want to ensure she has access to a doctor, emergencies and prescriptions if need be. She is 65 yrs. I believe as new immigrant she does not qualify for Medicare nor can purchase Medicare (or Medicaid) coverage, Part A (emergencies) or Part B (doc visits) through BlueCross or other big Providers. Obviously she is excluded from buying a regular health plan due to her age. I believe my employer would as well not cover her (as a dependent), so:

a) what are my options?
b) Does Pres. Obama's health care law (although effective 2014) provide a viable option to purchase health coverage for such new immigrants?

a,
1. She is not eligible for Medicare, because she did not work for the last 10 years.
2. She is not eligible for Medicaid, because when you applied for her green card, you made an obligation that she won't be using any federal funded benefits.
3. I believe you cannot add a parent as a dependent to your company's health insurance. Dependent can be only spouse or children.
4. I think your only option is a private insurance company coverage with a hefty premium because of her age

b,
I don't think the new health care law changes anything which your mom could benefit from.

Individual health insurance for a 65 year old will be enormously expensive (or impossible to get, depending on which state she lives in and her health history).

Is she willing and able to work, and does she have the qualifications to get a job that offers health insurance? If not, she'll probably be uninsured. If she has any significant health problems, it's probably better for her health to stay in her country where she can get affordable treatment.

@ Jackolantern......Isn't it true that if a new immigrant is over 65 and has been a PR for 5 yrs ,then they can buy medicare from the govt. I understand the premium is higher but it is still doable....just have to wait for 5 yrs?

@ Jackolantern......Isn't it true that if a new immigrant is over 65 and has been a PR for 5 yrs ,then they can buy medicare from the govt. I understand the premium is higher but it is still doable....just have to wait for 5 yrs?

That's correct, but you get only Part A.

Does the PR mom qualifies to be a citizen in 5 years, or is it 3 yrs?

(I was so excited, but this health insurance has casted a pal. I have looked around but not a single private insurance company is willing to insure 65+, no matter what the cost)

rocky60ca

If what you say is 100% accurate then my question is what in the world does anyone need a green card for? From what I have heard from illegals they get medicare/caid and noone asks if they have a green card or not?
Can you please tell us where this information comes from regarding medicare eligibility as I would like to validate this as I have a Parent who needs urgent medical care and I can't get here on my work health plan as a dependent. Thanks

a,
1. She is not eligible for Medicare, because she did not work for the last 10 years.
2. She is not eligible for Medicaid, because when you applied for her green card, you made an obligation that she won't be using any federal funded benefits.
3. I believe you cannot add a parent as a dependent to your company's health insurance. Dependent can be only spouse or children.
4. I think your only option is a private insurance company coverage with a hefty premium because of her age

b,
I don't think the new health care law changes anything which your mom could benefit from.

If what you say is 100% accurate then my question is what in the world does anyone need a green card for? From what I have heard from illegals they get medicare/caid and noone asks if they have a green card or not?
That is blatantly false. A rumor perpetrated by anti-immigrant scaremongers.

Can you please tell us where this information comes from regarding medicare eligibility as I would like to validate this as I have a Parent who needs urgent medical care and I can't get here on my work health plan as a dependent. Thanks
http://www.medicare.gov/MedicareEligibility/home.asp?dest=NAV|Home|GeneralEnrollment

so what happens after 5 years once a 65 year old GC parent becomes citizen?

Hi, my parents also recently got their GCs. From what I understand.. as per the new law that Obama passed to be effective from 2014.. everyone is supposed to have health insurance...

So, what are our options for our parent health insurance coverage from here on uptil they become citizen. Once they become citizen then their GC sponsor is not longer liable.. so can they become eiligible for medicaid?

Please can someone provide some details regarding this issue (getting health insurance coverage for -GC and later citizen -parents).. what are different options. How much premium per month one might have to pay for a comprehensive coverage with pre-existing condition?

This is a very mystical topic.. as I guess it is mostly dependent on which state your parents are living in... Can experts please throw some light into this topic.

Thanks