Has anyone attended interview without state ID (driver license)

cpzinga

Registered Users (C)
Has any one attended the interview without the driver's license (or state issued ID)? My wife has lost her state issued ID and I am thinking whether to get a new one or not. What are the other options..

The green card is only required. The state ID is there to confirm that a person lives with in the local office jurisdiction. Bring in some bills etc.

Has any one attended the interview without the driver's license (or state issued ID)? My wife has lost her state issued ID and I am thinking whether to get a new one or not. What are the other options..

Why not get a new one?

But I think everyone is required to carry one.

Nope, this is America. There could be no requirement to do that. It is a good idea to carry photo ID though. You do have to carry a DL when driving but other than that, photo ID is optional. The OP's wife has lost her ID card.

The instruction page that came with my IL said, GC, DL and Passport.

My take on that is if they expect you to bring those 3, they can ask for any or all 3. If you do not have one you risk delays in a request for more information. Your call as I see it, but I would be hot footing it down to DMV and getting a replacement today.

The only requirement is for a LPR to carry GC at all times.

Yes Bob, but the yellow letter lists the state issues ID as one of the documents to be brought.

The thing is she had a state ID (not driver license). She had to surrender her state ID (to mva) when she wrote the test for driver license. Now she is ready to give driving test. Now if we apply for new state ID - it may delay it further.
She has a card from MVA which she got when we moved some time ago. It has the name, address everything but no picture. Do you think taking passpot, GC and this card and other commnunication from MVA + utility bills will help?

the name, address everything but no picture. Do you think taking passpot, GC and this card and other commnunication from MVA + utility bills will help?

Nope. The instructions say, "State issued photo ID."

You need to sort out what is important and go with which one you decide USCIS or MVA. For me it is just plain nuts to show up without the 3 things they specifically ask for.

Nope. The instructions say, "State issued photo ID."

You need to sort out what is important and go with which one you decide USCIS or MVA. For me it is just plain nuts to show up without the 3 things they specifically ask for.

Yes, I will get it to avoid any issues during/later interview.
Thanks WhichWay2Go. All the best for tomorrow's interview.
Thanks to all for your opinion.

Yes Bob, but the yellow letter lists the state issues ID as one of the documents to be brought.

The thing is she had a state ID (not driver license). She had to surrender her state ID (to mva) when she wrote the test for driver license. Now she is ready to give driving test. Now if we apply for new state ID - it may delay it further.
She has a card from MVA which she got when we moved some time ago. It has the name, address everything but no picture. Do you think taking passpot, GC and this card and other commnunication from MVA + utility bills will help?

CP,

Just go to your DMV and request a non-drivers state ID. If you were in Iowa, then DMV would accept a bag of potato as a form of payment...:D:D This nondrivers state ID is available in all states, except Texas, which only issues such ID's the day you are executed....:eek:You need to understand that delaying you N400 process because wife is awaiting a driving test is not worthy the frustration you are going to feel when the IO request a state issued ID to prove were you live.:p The paper from DMV will not be good, because who is to say it is legitimate? USCIS is very good at abusing you for fun and frustrating you, especially if you find an officer who ate dog poop for dinner and cow dung for breakfast, abuse will be brutal. :eek: This is a rule of thumb and you should inscribe in your heart: carry all immigration paperwork, required picture ids and all evidence when going to USCIS offices for any business, especially interviewing process, If you told USCIS that you bought your wife a horse for Xmas, then take the horse with to the interview, but park it outside....:) Under no circumstate should you think USCIS officers will understand you forgot it at home or someone at DMV screwed you.

IMO, your foreign passport and GC should be enough to prove identity. I know the yellow letter says state issue ID, but that is a suggestion, not a hard requirement for naturalziation. In the end it will depend on IO if you have satisfied identifying yourself and proving district residency requirement with GC and passport alone.

IMO, your foreign passport and GC should be enough to prove identity. I know the yellow letter says state issue ID, but that is a suggestion, not a hard requirement for naturalziation. In the end it will depend on IO if you have satisfied identifying yourself and proving district residency requirement with GC and passport alone.

I fully agree with this. State ID is optional. It is a suggested document but no one can make you get a driver's license or a non-driver ID card. State issued ID is a document that aids you in identifying your residency.

Nope, this is America. There could be no requirement to do that. It is a good idea to carry photo ID though. You do have to carry a DL when driving but other than that, photo ID is optional. The OP's wife has lost her ID card.

The instruction page that came with my IL said, GC, DL and Passport.

My take on that is if they expect you to bring those 3, they can ask for any or all 3. If you do not have one you risk delays in a request for more information. Your call as I see it, but I would be hot footing it down to DMV and getting a replacement today.

There may not be a requirement to carry one, but it could result in an unnecessary problem. If a police office stops a person who is not carrying an official ID, that individual may be detained and brought to a police station until their identity is verified.

There are NO other options. I have a definitive answer for this one. I passed my interview in Phoenix today and while I was waiting to be called, a woman came in and said, "My Mother is outside for her interview but she has no photo ID and they will not let her in."

I was then called in for my interview so I do not know the outcome. I am guessing it was not good.

There are NO other options. I have a definitive answer for this one. I passed my interview in Phoenix today and while I was waiting to be called, a woman came in and said, "My Mother is outside for her interview but she has no photo ID and they will not let her in."

I was then called in for my interview so I do not know the outcome. I am guessing it was not good.

Thanks for the update WhichWay2Go. Anyway we have applied for new ID yesterday and I think it should come within 2 weeks. I hope it will arrive before the interview.