Has anybody been US Consulate in Canada lately?

bornfree1

Registered Users (C)
Hi all:

I am in I485 (RD: 5/15/03). I also have my EAD and AP. I just received my 1 year H1B extention (7th year). It took 6 months. I want to go to Canada and get the H1B visa (easier to travel). I am not planning to use my EAD and AP (keep them only as backup).

Has anybody been or have you heard of anybody going to US consulate in Toronto or anywhere lately for H1B visa? Any experiences to share? Any problems, I should anticipate. Though Mexico has stopped third country visa renewal, my lawyer said Canada is still doing it. I checked UN Consulate website and they are truely doing it. Unlike Mexico (i am sure many of you have been to Juarez), they don't give the visa back in same day. They give it back the next day, which means, I have to stay in Toronto for 2 days.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Toronto's a great town, and SARS has put a nice damper in hotel and restaurant prices.

One caution - if the consulate denies your visa, your existing I-94 will automatically be void for returning to the US, so make sure you have a solid case.

Originally posted by bornfree1
Hi all:

I am in I485 (RD: 5/15/03). I also have my EAD and AP.

bornfree1,

How did you manage to get both EAD and AP in one and half month?

Re: Re: Has anybody been US Consulate in Canada lately?

Originally posted by king1999
bornfree1,

How did you manage to get both EAD and AP in one and half month?

King, I apologize, my I-485 RD is 02 and not 03. It was a typo. My first EAD and AP expires August 7th. I applied for the second term EAD AND AP with a RD of 4/15/03. I received my EAD card in 2 months (Texas) but now I came to know AP is taking 6 months.

So, I am planning to get the H1-B visa from Canada.

Thanks..

We went last year to Ottawa for Stamping of my wife H4. It was smooth. In Toronto they take two days for stamping but in Ottawa it is one day. That is why I went to Ottawa.

It was smooth at that time. No Que. You have to go at your appointment time.

If you have any questions Please let me know.