Had my Asylum interview, it went badly, and now I am waiting for the results

MrScience

Registered Users (C)
My application was strong but my interview was weak and I slipped on a question or two. Towards the end of the interview, the asylum officer was very quiet and cold and when I told him that I would send him the document he requested he seemed like he didn't care. Do you think that means he is going to deny my application? How many days did it take for you to get your decision by mail?

Am sorry to hear about that,but i think if he requested for those documents,then you need to send it to him but if you said to him that you will send and he said nothing,then that a bit difficult .But any way you are the only person who knows how he actually seem to respond.
Usually ,the officer will tell you to come and take it in 2 weeks or that it will be mail in 2 weeks,but some times it takes months and even years ,so its difficult to presume.Did he tell you anything at the end of the interview?If not,you would just have to wait and check your mail box

GOOD LUCK :cool:

My application was strong but my interview was weak and I slipped on a question or two. Towards the end of the interview, the asylum officer was very quiet and cold and when I told him that I would send him the document he requested he seemed like he didn't care. Do you think that means he is going to deny my application? How many days did it take for you to get your decision by mail?

Each genuine asylum claim is unique even when certain similarities exist in specific populations so, any generalizations are fairly useless. Have patience.

My interview went bad too

So I had my asylum interview in the Miami asylum office on July 12th 2012. To begin, the asylum officer was very agressive when asking questions to establish my identity (name , age, DOB, ect); this disturbed my focus and caused me to forget the dates when i had lived at various adresses.

Also, during the interview i did not get a chance to fully express myself and tell the saylum officer exactly what happened as she usually stopped me in the middle of my responses.

At the end of the interview however, she told my lawyer that the application was well filed and prepared.

Nopw am wating for a response in the mail as i am still in lawful status

So I had my asylum interview in the Miami asylum office on July 12th 2012. To begin, the asylum officer was very agressive when asking questions to establish my identity (name , age, DOB, ect); this disturbed my focus and caused me to forget the dates when i had lived at various adresses.

Also, during the interview i did not get a chance to fully express myself and tell the saylum officer exactly what happened as she usually stopped me in the middle of my responses.

At the end of the interview however, she told my lawyer that the application was well filed and prepared.

Nopw am wating for a response in the mail as i am still in lawful status

You are in a lawful status? What status?

Jamaica does not generate many successful asylum claims. http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2032.htm

Would you care to anonymously share that basis of your claim?

Response to BIGJOE

Dear Friend,

To make a general claim like: "Jamaica does not generate alot of successful asylum claim", can soetimes be very misleading. When presenting any kind of statistics, it must be done in a particular context for it to be meaningful.

I have taken time to review the literature on Jamaican asylum claims. What has come to my attention is that asylum application claims made in immigration court by Jamaicans are generally unseuuessful.

However i must point out that i am applying for asylum on the basis of my being persecuted for being a homosexual. Upon reviewing the literature from organizations such as Immigration Equality, it reveals that at the Asylum Office level; Jamaica has enjoyed the highest rate of approval as it regards to the prosecution of homosexuals.

I am not too worried about what the past rate of approval for Jamaican asylum applicants is ....... I am confident because i know that my application was a genuine one. I was attacked by a group of men. I was held up at gun point, had a 14 inch laceration to my head (the scar is relatively fresh), hospital documentation corroborating the attack and generally the country conditions are bad.

In regards to your question of lawful status. I am on a visitors visa and is permitted to be in the USA lawfully until August 27, 2012.

Thank you very much for responding to my post BIGJOE

Dear Friend,

To make a general claim like: "Jamaica does not generate alot of successful asylum claim", can soetimes be very misleading. When presenting any kind of statistics, it must be done in a particular context for it to be meaningful.

I have taken time to review the literature on Jamaican asylum claims. What has come to my attention is that asylum application claims made in immigration court by Jamaicans are generally unseuuessful.

However i must point out that i am applying for asylum on the basis of my being persecuted for being a homosexual. Upon reviewing the literature from organizations such as Immigration Equality, it reveals that at the Asylum Office level; Jamaica has enjoyed the highest rate of approval as it regards to the prosecution of homosexuals.

I am not too worried about what the past rate of approval for Jamaican asylum applicants is ....... I am confident because i know that my application was a genuine one. I was attacked by a group of men. I was held up at gun point, had a 14 inch laceration to my head (the scar is relatively fresh), hospital documentation corroborating the attack and generally the country conditions are bad.

In regards to your question of lawful status. I am on a visitors visa and is permitted to be in the USA lawfully until August 27, 2012.

Thank you very much for responding to my post BIGJOE

I also had my interview at the miami office on july 23. do let me know if you're asylum application is approved or not. good luck. You should have gotten a decision by now. btw, they also interrupted me during my responses.

Response to mr. Science

Hello Mr. Science,

When I did my interview the immigration officer told me that she would be mailing the decision to me. She told me that Is hould get the decision in about four to six weeks. Therefore am looking out to have a response sometime after next week.

She explained to me that if i was not in a lawful immigration status then my pick up would be two weeks from the interview at the office. So it seems that only individuals who are not in lawful immigration status get their decision back in two weeks - they are a priority group.

Today i spoke with another person who was interviewed the same day as i was, he told me he was approved and invited me out to dinner this Satruday.

Hopefully you will be successful, wishing you all the best. I am here waiting anxiously .... i just go to the beach and gym to work out to keep my mind off things. Am happy that the olympics has started so that i can have something to keep me occupied.

Stay intouch ... all the best again

Gay Asylum

Hello Mr. Science,

When I did my interview the immigration officer told me that she would be mailing the decision to me. She told me that Is hould get the decision in about four to six weeks. Therefore am looking out to have a response sometime after next week.

She explained to me that if i was not in a lawful immigration status then my pick up would be two weeks from the interview at the office. So it seems that only individuals who are not in lawful immigration status get their decision back in two weeks - they are a priority group.

Today i spoke with another person who was interviewed the same day as i was, he told me he was approved and invited me out to dinner this Satruday.

Hopefully you will be successful, wishing you all the best. I am here waiting anxiously .... i just go to the beach and gym to work out to keep my mind off things. Am happy that the olympics has started so that i can have something to keep me occupied.

Stay intouch ... all the best again

Jamaican brother,
Keep the faith. If you have a case, you should be fine. I was in the same boat a few years ago as well.

Still waiting on my decision to be mailed ..... expecting it this week

Jamaican 1,

Keep me updated, man.... I haven't received my decision yet either, but you're about 10 days ahead of me. I'm really relaxed about the whole thing. Gonna head up to Canada if I am denied and take things from there. The Miami office sounds like it is tough. I noticed their courtroom judges have a 93% rejection rate while NY has a 10% rejection rate for some of its judges. My interviewer wanted to deny me from the very beginning, telling me that I can get a green card through my mom (which has an 8 year processing time), telling me that I lied to the immigration officer at port of entry because I did not tell him I wanted to apply for asylum, etc.. He couldn't read some of the sentences in my application statement, and I had to clarify things for him. The only thing I don't like about this country is the ignorance... I'm sure you'll pull through and your application will be approved. As for me, I am already making other plans for the future.

Mr. Science,

I would caution you not to go to Canada if your asylum application is denied by USCIS, instead it would be better for you to stay here and exhaust all the options that you have.

There is a treaty between Canada and the USA known as the "SAFE THIRD COUNTRY AGREEMENT". Basically this treaty establishes that an asylum applicant cannot apply for asylum in Canada if they were denied asylu from the USA government. Pease do some research on the agreement.

This treaty was established to reduce the backlog ofasylum cases in Canada...... the Canadian government will finandd your application invalid on the basis of you being rejected by the USA government... they will not even accept the application.

It sounds to me that you did not have a lawyer or a representative accompany you to your interview........ whenever you go to the interview alone, the officers can be very tough which should not be the case. The hearing at the asylum office is supposed to be nonadverserial and you should be given the benifit of the doubt where the asylum officer is not able to 'make sense' of material facts presented.

If you do have a genuine asylum claim, i beleive that i can assist you with the rest of the process if you are denied. I have legal representation and has alot of material on the entire process and the burden of proof that is placed on the applicant in each step of the asylum process. You can even find the training and guidance manual that the asylum office uses to train the asylum officers online. These manuals explain to the asylum officers how they should arrive at a decision at each stage of the process...... so if you get a hold of these manual then you shold be able to prepare better for your hearing before the immigration judge if you are denied.

Please send me a private mesage so that i can point you in the right direction to start preparing in case you are denied. Remember tha once you are denied ou only have 16 days to rebutt the reasons for your denial ..... so if you feel so strongly that your case was very weakly presented ,,,,, it would not hurt to start preparing ... just in case

I do hope that you are approved tho..... all the best ..... looking forwarding to receiving a private message from you

Private Message Received

I just read your private message, i will have to research some cases that are similiar to yours and see if they were granted or not. If they were were granted we have to look at the material facts which caused the asylum office/immigration judge to reach a favourable decision and see if your case is similar.

I will respond to your message privately and in more details tomorrow

Status Updated on USCIS Website

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you guys know that i have been checking my case status on the USCIS WEBSITE ever since i went to my interview. Everytime i checked, it told me that my case cannot be found .....

.....however today i checked and i saw a message, it is below:

"""On August 15, 2012, we received this I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION and request that the filing fee be waived. The filing fee has been waived and we have mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow any instructions on this notice. This case is being processed at our Intake Processing Center. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or contact our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283."""

Does this mean that they have approved my case and will soon send ne the documents in the mail ????

>>>>>Very Sick too ... with the flu ..... not able to log on much

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you guys know that i have been checking my case status on the USCIS WEBSITE ever since i went to my interview. Everytime i checked, it told me that my case cannot be found .....

.....however today i checked and i saw a message, it is below:

"""On August 15, 2012, we received this I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION and request that the filing fee be waived. The filing fee has been waived and we have mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow any instructions on this notice. This case is being processed at our Intake Processing Center. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or contact our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283."""

Does this mean that they have approved my case and will soon send ne the documents in the mail ????

>>>>>Very Sick too ... with the flu ..... not able to log on much

It will depend on the time from which you did your interview and atleast 2 weeks passed,so let's say the you did your interview in mid-july ,then i guess if they say August 15,then surely you have been approved .But i will just advice you to continue praying because it is not a sure assurance that it is,so just wait and be patient.

best regards

Thank you for your response .... i did my interview on July 12th .... so i guess this update on the USCIS website means i have been approved ... i dont think they would submit a 1-765 form for me if my asylum application was denied.

.... well i guess i have to just wait to see if i get anything in the mail

was ffshour

Thank you for your response .... i did my interview on July 12th .... so i guess this update on the USCIS website means i have been approved ... i dont think they would submit a 1-765 form for me if my asylum application was denied.

.... well i guess i have to just wait to see if i get anything in the mail

I should congratulate you in advance. I have read so many forums while my case is pending nearly a year. The message you are getting means your asylum is approved and you should receive your I-94 in 2 to 3 days. You will receive your EAD A5 category valid for 2 years in a separate pack in 5-7 days.

You are fortunate to get such a quick approval. Be thankful and enjoy your life.

Ead

I should congratulate you in advance. I have read so many forums while my case is pending nearly a year. The message you are getting means your asylum is approved and you should receive your I-94 in 2 to 3 days. You will receive your EAD A5 category valid for 2 years in a separate pack in 5-7 days.

You are fortunate to get such a quick approval. Be thankful and enjoy your life.

Hey Jamaican Brother,
Just a question - Did you apply for an EAD? When I read the notice it seems the reply is to your application for an EAD and not necessarily about your asylum. Also you did your interview in July but when did you send in the initial asylum application?