H4 visa

AnanthS

Is it madatory, to change the maidan name of the H4 applicant, or get the husbands name endorsed in the spouses passport,before going for H4 approval. i have a friend who came in Sept , and didnt do it, but when one of my other freind inquired at mumbai consulate, they said, its mandatory. confused !!:confused:

You can keep your maiden name, but you should stick to that practice everywhere. But if you are going to change the last name like in Driver's License etc., you better change the name in the passport.

H4 info

I just heard that, its become mandatory, irrespective of the change, in maiden name, that the H4 applicant, should have the name of the principal applicant, in the spouses passport . is this true? This was told to my friend by US consulate,in Mumbai..

Principle Vs Convenience or Male Factor

yes. I have not heard from anybody who said that we insisted on retaining the maiden name when questioned by the mumbai consulate. I think the reasons are
1. Convenience. Most want the convenience of using the maiden name to avoid spending time and money changing the name in the passport.
2. Have huge male egos which equates last name change to superiority of the male .:)

H4 re jacsen

Yes means? that i have to change my wifes passport to hold the name of the principal applicant ? what can be done to avoid that ?

How about Chennai US consulate ?

Is this a law that is mandated by only Mumbai US consulate ? I am actually planing to apply for an H4 visa for my wife in Chennai US consulate ? Anybody got any idea whether my wife will be caught in the same Sur name problem ?

Thanks.

rs_2002

rs_2002 when are you planning to file for your H4? I am planning to file around Nov 17. I also emailed about this question to Chennai Consulate. I have not heard anything back. Please keep us posted.

How long does it take to add spouse name

Any idea how much time it normally takes (either with or without greasing the wheels) to add the spouses name to the passport ?
Thanks.

The below is the reply I got from the Consulate General Calcutta. Looks like the surname change requirement is locational.

Hope this information helps.

Dear sir,

This is not mandatory here in the US Consulate General, Calcutta but always good to have it. Hope the above information is helpful to you.

Thanks.
Consular Section
US Consulate General
Calcutta.

> Subject: H4 Visa inquiry
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a very imperative situation at hand to resolve.
> I am getting married in near future. My wife is supposed
> to return with me and she has her passport and the
> ticket and all the relative credentials to get here to
> the USA. But as per the news on Times of India that
> "The wife would have to have the same Surname as
> that of the spouse in her passport", I won't be able
> to bring my wife here as she is having a different
> surname than mine in her passport. Can you please
> verify and Validate the news on Times Of India.
>
> Expecting a reply ASAP.

times of india!!

Does anyone has the url of times of india article? I will really appreciate it.

Chennai Consulate

This is the reply from Chennai Consulate:

>
>It is not mandatory for H4/L2 visa applicants to have the surname/name
of
>the spouse entered in their passport when they apply for a visa at
American
>Consulate, Chennai
>
>
>
>Customer Service Unit
>American Consulate General
>220, Anna Salai
>Chennai 600006
>Ph-91-44-8112060/2000
>website:www.madras.sphynx.com
>
>

More info at Hyd passport office to get the surname changed.

Steps
------
- Take Form "miscellaneous services form'- ( also called: EAP Form 2), cost 5 Rs at office or free on web
- photocopy of u'r passport
- Original and Photocopy of u'r marriage cert
- Photo from u'r weeding album showing u'r spouse and u'r self
- Spouse's passport

- Fee: 300 Rs

- Proof of add's - Ration card

Anybody successfully got their H4 visa. Pls post their experiences.

Hello pellucide,
I have a similar situation. Can you get me the date when you recd the reply from CG, Calcutta? I wanted to get my wife re-stamped sometime in early 2003 & wanted to know the length of validity of this rule.

Another question. My wife got her H1 approved & stamped after coming for the first time to US. Now she is going back to H4. Anybody knows if we can use a dropbox (the current one is H1)

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Originally posted by pellucide
The below is the reply I got from the Consulate General Calcutta. Looks like the surname change requirement is locational.

Hope this information helps.

Dear sir,

This is not mandatory here in the US Consulate General, Calcutta but always good to have it. Hope the above information is helpful to you.

Thanks.
Consular Section
US Consulate General
Calcutta.

> Subject: H4 Visa inquiry
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a very imperative situation at hand to resolve.
> I am getting married in near future. My wife is supposed
> to return with me and she has her passport and the
> ticket and all the relative credentials to get here to
> the USA. But as per the news on Times of India that
> "The wife would have to have the same Surname as
> that of the spouse in her passport", I won't be able
> to bring my wife here as she is having a different
> surname than mine in her passport. Can you please
> verify and Validate the news on Times Of India.
>
> Expecting a reply ASAP.

Clarification - name change on spouse's passport

After marriage; husband atleast needs to endorse his name on his wife's passport. This information I have **VERIFIED** with Mumbai consulate.
The Spouse does **NOT** mandatorily have to process a new passport or change (her last) name on passport to reflect her new lastname (i.e of her husband's).

Now it your discretion if you want to change her passport to reflect your (last) name (that won't hurt - it might be ideal); but just endorsing your name on her passport will also serve your purpose to get H4 visa.

Further, had called the regional passport office and they had told me that it takes probably (at max) 8 days for endorsement of husband's name on his wife's visa. With "tatkal seva" (pay extra Rs.1500/-) :( at passport offices it is supposed to expedite such processing. Now there could be regional differences on processing time for endorsement - somewhere it could be couple of days, or others it could be a week or so.

Also, in yesterday's chat at murthy.com - attorney Murthy specifically denied that the news from Timesofindia.com (about wife has to change her passport to reflect husband's lastname before going for visa) is being misinterpreted. Further; lawyer has not yet received any affirmative reply from consulate's in her pursuit for getting clarifications for this issue.

**** So BOTTOM LINE is - its better to be safe to atleast endorse your name on your wife's passport BEFORE you go to the appointment at consulate office. ****

Last edited by a moderator:
Updates ?

hello friends,

Anybody has exp. with Mumbai consulate regarding this ?

I'm planning to get H4 re-stamping for my wife next week
in Mumbai.

Is endorsement absolutely necessary for Mumbai consulate ?
How long does getting endorsement in PP take in Mumbai ?

thanks
deepbob

Update

Hi

I'm trying to get H4 re-stamping in Mumbai for my wife.

Seems for endorsement in the passport office they
are insisting on issuing a NEW passport for my wife.
(which will be big hassle)

Is this true ? Has anybody got endorsed spouse name
in the old passport itself ? (in Mumbai)

thanks for the replies
deepbob

From Mumbai Consulate

I had emailed Mumbai Consulate and they confirmed that H4 applicant needs to have H1B holder's name endorsed in the passport. No comments about change of name.

Spouse name endorsement for h4

I am in a similar situation. I want to get h4 stamped in my passport during my visit to india next month.

Is it mandatory to endorse husband's name in the passport. I would appreciate if people can share their experience in this regard. Any one has idea how Consulate at Delhi is treating this issue.

thanks