H4 to F1

duskydudette

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am planning on converting my H4 visa to an F1. Could someone please answer my queries?

1. Currently, how long does it take to receive an F1, especially since I am already in the US?

2. If, for some reason the F1 is rejected, does the H4 status remain or do I have to file again for an H4?

Really appreciate your service.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am not an expert on immigration, but I was in a similar position (I was on an F1 which was about to expire, and wanted to go back to school in 5 months, so thought of changing my status to H4 and back to F1, but ultimately I could just transfer before my F1 expired)
The student advisers at my school told me that it takes anytime between 5 and 8 months, but I would suggest you check out the current processing times at the various service centers - they are listed here- http://www.immigration.com/processing-times/uscisproctimes.html
About your status if ur F1 petition is rejected, I am not sure.
Hope this helps

Hey,

About ur second question, I think that even if your change of status (F1) is denied, you will still maintain ur curent status (H4) as long as you have not done anything to violate it (like work illegally etc)
I also read this :
Question . I am working on an H1B visa and want to change my visa status to F-1. If the F-1 is denied, can I still use the H1B?
Answer. If the USCIS denies the change of status then one would still be in H1B status, assuming s/he maintained that status by continuing to work for the employer.

So, I think that confirms it... (Assuming the same rule holds for an H4)
I would also suggest you go through all the archives of the questions at this webiste. There are many questions regarding H4-F1 Change of status and they will be useful to you.

Dogmatix,

Really appreciate your prompt responses. Thanks a mil. I wonder if I can impose upon you a little more....Would it be possible for you to let me know the documents I would need for filing for an F1? I ask this of you because I am transferring from an H4 and was wondering if the procedure or some of the documents are different from that needed to file directly for an F1?

Thanks in advance.

Hey,

Its not a bother at all.. Dont worry about it.. As I told you I was contemplating changing my status from an F1 to an H4 and back to an F1 so I had done some research on the subject, and am glad to help.

The documents which need to be submitted to USCIS to apply for a change to F-1 status are:

Form I-539, application for change of non-immigrant status.
SEVIS I-20.
Copy of both sides of Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure card in passport.)
Evidence of financial support. It is necessary to show that the applicant has sufficient funds to support his/her studies for at least the first year and to show the source of income for subsequent years.
Letter from employer of the H-1 principal alien indicating that the H-1 is currently employed, or, if applicable, the reason and date of departure from employment.
Check or money order for $195.00, made payable to USCIS.
Form I-797, approval of H-1 status.
Passport identity pages of both the H-1 and H-4.
Visas of both the H-1 and H-4.
Receipt confirming payment of $100 SEVIS fee.

I am sure all this would be pretty clear on the form I-539, I havent seen the form myself, but I am sure it would be self-evident.
Hope this helps..
BTW I got the info above by just googling 'H4 to F1' just now, so most of the info is available online, but because of that, please be sure to confirm it.
All the best with everything!!!
And do not hesitate to ask me more questions, I will be glad to help :)

Help...

We are required to send a letter along with the application to convince INS that we inted to return home after education. Do any one of you have a Sample letter with which the visa got converted?
Thanks

callbala said:
We are required to send a letter along with the application to convince INS that we inted to return home after education. Do any one of you have a Sample letter with which the visa got converted?
Thanks

No letter is required to convince INS (if you are already inside US), however a letter from dean will help you, indicating why you need to change from H4 to F1.

H4 to F1 - letter from dean?

Hi great guru,

I have been reading your postings. i also need to switch from H4 to F1 and have to send my application to California service center. pls pls help me with this. exactly what documents do i need to send besides Form I-539, SEVIS I-20 and a copy of both sides of Form I-94?

Regarding evidence of financial support - do i send a bank statement showing sufficient funds in my husband's account? does it have to be notarized? how old can the statement be?

Do i have to show a letter from employer of the H-1 principal alien indicating that the H-1 is currently employed? can i send a current paystub instead of this?

Do I also need to send Form I-797, approval of husband's H-1 status?

what about Passport identity pages of both the H-1 and H-4 and Visas of both the H-1 and H-4. ? do i need to send just mine or my husband's as well?

My H4 visa is expiring on sep 30 .. will that be a problem while my COS application is being processed in california?

you mentioned RFE somewhere...what does that stand for?

PLS PLS HELP ME. I AM WORRIED SICK.

THANKS

Hope this helps...

We are in the process of applying f1 for my wife who is on h4. Let me tell what we did.. AS you said, we should send i-539 form, I-94 both sides photo copy,wife's visa stamping photocopy(PC), husband's H1 approval PC, Husbands visa stamping(PC), latest bank statement atleast with $20,000 (depending on your college fees), husbands employment verification letter. and Sevis fees(you can pay it online and print the receipt), Check for $195 (NO PERSONAL CHECK), FULL TIME COURSE DESCRIPTION, and a letter stating that you will be going back to India after finishing the education.
Hope this helps..

Re: Letter stating return

thanks callbala...

my husband has also applied for a green card..but he's yet to receive labor certification, so my name is not on the GC application yet. its in the dallas processing center, which we believe will take a long time to reach 1-140/I-485 stage. So what should i write in my application letter for F1??

To phoenixdesi...
We are also in the similar stage as you.. My GC is in process and yet to get LC.
We are just taking a chance.. if they dont check my info, then my wife has high probability of getting her f1 stamped..
THe letter should state about your funding (ex. you could mention about bank balance). also my wife has internship as part of her course and she cannot do it without f1. we mentioned that in the letter.
Most important, make sure you give valid reason about going back. We mentioned about how badly she misses her family in India and also we will get back to take care of my parents since they are aging. Sometimes, the school may have a format to follow. Ask your International Coordinator.
Hopethis helps..

marriage certificate?

why marriage certificate? not that i have a problem in sending it .. just curious. also, what's the best way to send it .. some say dont fedex or ups coz that only takes longer .. how did you send yours? and how much finances did you show you have? for the duration of the entire course or just the first year;s expenses? coz i can only show for first year with my husband as sponsor. otherwise will have to show my sis as another sponsor. but she's also in the US...(has a green card)...would that jeopardise my chances? shud i show my parents in india as co-sponsors?

thanks for all your help!

I was asked to send the marriage certificate because I am the sponsor. I think its required to show atleast 1 year tution expenses. You may want to ask your International Coordinator for the total expenses. I dont think you need to show proof of many sponsors. I sent my application by US certified mail. It takes 2 days to go to Vermont.

original I-94?

hi callbala..

thanks for all ur previous info. one more thing..did you send your wife's original I-94 or did you send a photocopy? also.. who did you address the $195 check to? USCIS or Department of Homeland Security? and in what form did you send it ? what did you mean by no personal check? coz someone at USCIS local office told me they prefer to get personal check than money order and that way once it's encashed you also know that they've received your application documents...

what say??

phoenixdesi said:
hi callbala..

thanks for all ur previous info. one more thing..did you send your wife's original I-94 or did you send a photocopy? also.. who did you address the $195 check to? USCIS or Department of Homeland Security? and in what form did you send it ? what did you mean by no personal check? coz someone at USCIS local office told me they prefer to get personal check than money order and that way once it's encashed you also know that they've received your application documents...

what say??
Take a photocopy(both sides) of i-94 and send it. Dont send your originals. $195 should be addressed to USCIS. My wife's international coordinator told us not to send personal checks. Thats why we got a money order from Walmart. its ur choice...
Once the application reaches them, they will send us a number that can used to track the application status. Moreover when sending the application, make sure to send it my Confirmed mail so that you can track the mail.

F1 to H4

Hi all:
This is in regards to change of status for my wife. She was doing her MS for two semesters and then we had to move out of state as I got a new job. Because of our moving she applied for her semester break, and then after sometime we found that the international office in the school had made some mistake and her I 20 was terminated almost 9 months back when she was a full time student. Then after the help from international office now she got her reinstatement done a few days back.

Now the issue is that she needs to get her status changed from F1 to H4 and get over all this issue of F1.

Could anyone suggest what is the good step forward next. I have been very much confused and any help would mean a lot.

How long does the transfer take as she has her school in 4 - 5 weeks and I want the transfer and her legal status sorted by then, and may be not have to go to school. And finally what are the documents required for the tranfer.

Any suggestions or help would be appreicated.

Thanks
NAV