H4 to F1 conversion, pls advice( already in the college on H4)

ArvindK

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

Thank you ALL for your last feed back which was of course very helpful to proceed further, now I have one more question related to the same topic.

Now is that my wife already joined college and doing her Masters since early 2004 on H4, and due to mutual understanding with professor she managed to do her part time but unfortunately the department is unable to pay her even if they can since she is on H4. She will be into her final semester in coming August 2005.

Now my question is:

1. Can she apply for her visa conversion from H4 to F1? by doing so she will have an opportunity to take the advantage of assistantship and also apply for OPT. (fyi – College is ready to provide her with I-20 and all other reference letters and supporting documents that are required during the conversion)

2. If the answer is "Yes" for above question then does she have to go back to India for F1 stamping or she can visit Mexico or Canada?

3. For Some reason if her F1 is rejected then will the actual H4 still be active?

4. Before I got married I had to change my employer from company “A” to company “B” and got my H1 Visa stamped based on company “B”, got married and she came back on “H4” in reference with my new company “B”. She joined her college when I was on company “B” (h4). Now I had to join another project and once again I had to change my employer to company “C” and I have new H1 and H4 papers from new company “C”, so does she have to take company “B” h4 also during her visit to consulate?

Any advice on the request is greatly appreciated!!

Arvind

ArvindK said:
Hello,

Thank you ALL for your last feed back which was of course very helpful to proceed further, now I have one more question related to the same topic.

Now is that my wife already joined college and doing her Masters since early 2004 on H4, and due to mutual understanding with professor she managed to do her part time but unfortunately the department is unable to pay her even if they can since she is on H4. She will be into her final semester in coming August 2005.

Now my question is:

1. Can she apply for her visa conversion from H4 to F1? by doing so she will have an opportunity to take the advantage of assistantship and also apply for OPT. (fyi – College is ready to provide her with I-20 and all other reference letters and supporting documents that are required during the conversion)
Get I 20 and go for COS from H4 to F1.

2. If the answer is "Yes" for above question then does she have to go back to India for F1 stamping or she can visit Mexico or Canada?
Once your F1 got approved, no need to go and stamp it. You can continue to complete your study + OPT. Then apply for H1, once you get H1 if you want you can go out of US for stamping otherwise you can continue to stay and work on H1 with valid I 94 at the bottome of your F1/H1 approval notice.
3. For Some reason if her F1 is rejected then will the actual H4 still be active?
Yes

4. Before I got married I had to change my employer from company “A” to company “B” and got my H1 Visa stamped based on company “B”, got married and she came back on “H4” in reference with my new company “B”. She joined her college when I was on company “B” (h4). Now I had to join another project and once again I had to change my employer to company “C” and I have new H1 and H4 papers from new company “C”, so does she have to take company “B” h4 also during her visit to consulate?

Any advice on the request is greatly appreciated!!

Arvind

What are the chances of going from H4 to F1 being approved ? Is it normally approved ? any issues with dual intent ?

I would like my spouse to go from H4 to F1. Reason being that I would like to move to Canada before my Canadian PR expires. That would mean taking a transfer with my company to Canada but being on Canadian Payroll (so non US). However spouse has 1 yr left to graduate and is on H4. If I move will she get out of status on H4 ?

I have I140 approved with PD of Aug 2001 EB3 India, cant file I 485. Has anyone been able to transfer from H4 to F1 with spouses I 140 approved ?

Thanks

You have valid reason to do so. No problem. Change it to F1.

texancanadian said:
What are the chances of going from H4 to F1 being approved ? Is it normally approved ? any issues with dual intent ?

I would like my spouse to go from H4 to F1. Reason being that I would like to move to Canada before my Canadian PR expires. That would mean taking a transfer with my company to Canada but being on Canadian Payroll (so non US). However spouse has 1 yr left to graduate and is on H4. If I move will she get out of status on H4 ?

I have I140 approved with PD of Aug 2001 EB3 India, cant file I 485. Has anyone been able to transfer from H4 to F1 with spouses I 140 approved ?

Thanks

convert from h4 to f1

Hii,

My name is Swapna. I am doing my masters in H4. Now, my prof has accepted to give me a assistanceship for the next semester.
So my question is :

1. Can i convert from h4 to f1 now? if yes what are the documents i need to submit.

2. Do i need to go back to india for f1 stamping.

Can anyone of you please help me in this.....