H4 Stamping in Mumbai,India

1. DD ( Rs 4900 , Rs 3675 ) ( write name and PP no in back )
2. Photograph - 2 no (many consulate need only 1 photo to be glued on DS-156
3. Employer comprehensive letter for H1 holder
4. DS-156 (one photo attached) - new one 2 inch by 2 inch photograph
5. I-797 (H1 approval Notice), I-129, LCA (Must) better if certified by lawyer as many consulate ask for certified copies of I-129 and LCA
6. Principal aliens passport copy (36 pages) all the pages including blank pages
7. Bank statement (3 months)
8. Pay stubs (6 months)
9. W2 - statement (last 2 years)
10 Marriage certificate (submit copy) if ask for original show it
11 Marriage Invitation & Photos (10 nos ) optional, only required for first time H4 after marriage
12 Employer office photos ( 5 nos ) They may ask, they may not ask
13 Employer office direction ( yahoo map direction ) - optional
14 Applicant original passport
15 Rental bills ( 5 months )- optional
16 If male between ages 16-45 also submit form DS-157 ( write you name in native language column 3 )
Show only the documents what are asked and may have to attend interview

Thanks

Hi Ginnu,

Thanks for the reply. These all documents are compulsory??
Did you or your spouse got H4 stamped recently?

Can you guide me what is the procedure?

Regards,

Reliable

at this time they can ask for any documents.
the list of document was posted by some one else who got H4 recently, better send all the documents

H4

Ginnu is right..nowadays they can ask for any documents..
my wife got H4 last week from Mumbai consulate..she was asked..

original I-797
original Marriage Certificate
I-129, LCA (it was lawyer cerified)
latest paystubs (I had sent three months paystub)

though she was asked only above documents, i had sent all the documents mentioned by Ginnu..

Best Luck

Raj

Hi Parimal,Ginnu,

Hi Parimal,Ginnu,

Thanks for your reply, but it's kinda emergency........can i fax paystub and W-2 to india.......do you think copy would do in case they ask?

Appreciate your quick response.

Relialbe

hi

i think they need original paystubs..by fedex it shud reach bbay in two days..why u want to take risk!

Raj

I also heard that they require husband's name endrosed in the passport; do they create a big deal out of it? Any one recently tried without endrosement?
Thanks for your help

jeremy:

I also heard that they require husband's name endorsed in the passport; do they create a big deal out of it?
---- YES, Bombay consulate needs it and it has been posted in past by many. You should go to Worli passport office, get Miscellaneous Service form or down load it from Indian embassy or consulate site in US, you need the marriage certificate, affidavit of name change( if you want copy of new passport with married name) and copy of your spouse all the passport pages, then talk to any agent out side Passport office, give” Chai Pani” it can be done same day or you can get passport with new married name or husband's name endorsed in 2 days. If you know good travel agent who handle passport services and stays near to your residence in Bombay talk to him. If you are from Andheri (w) lokhanwala side I can provide you link of agents who deal with Passport issues. It is not difficult. Visit Mumbai passport site you can search through goggle and read the info, now they have also one more branch/extension that is near Bengal Chemical before Worli Naka

Any one recently tried without endorsement?
--- I don’t know, latest post was 2 months back search the thread
Thanks for your help

It is always better that your name is endorsed in your's spouse's passport. The consulate first looks whether the H1 holder has ever been out of status. Next it looks at the legitimacy of the marriage. Having the passport endorsed is one more thing in your favor in the eyes of the consulate. I'd recommend that you get it done. It takes only 3 days to get an endorsed passport at the Mumbai RPO.

reliable:

If your wife has already visited Mumbai consulate for H4 stamping I would appreciate if you could give me some details...My wife too would be going there for her H4 sometime next week.

I am interested to know the following points...

1) How long is it taking to schedule a interview at mubai consulate once the documents are accpeted by the VFS center.

2) Did they ask your name be endored on your wifes passport.

3) What kind of questions, if any were asked at the consulate.

4) Are there any additional documents being asked other than the list circulated at this website.

5)Any other info you may wish to share.

I would appreciate your response.

Thanks

1) How long is it taking to schedule a interview at mubai consulate once the documents are accpeted by the VFS center.

a: my wife had already scheduled an appointment before going to VFS..with that printout and all other documents she went to VFS center and her appointment was then confirmed at that instant..in short she went on 30 th June to VFS and her NET appontmnet of 10th July was confirmed at that time.

2) Did they ask your name be endored on your wifes passport.

a: As far as I know, this is must in Mumbai consulate. I will suggest to do it.

3) What kind of questions, if any were asked at the consulate.

a: she was asked whether the marriage is arranged or not
from how many years she knows me
whether she has any other close relative in USA
why and in what category her visa was rejected at Chennai

4) Are there any additional documents being asked other than the list circulated at this website.

a: she was asked original I-797, original marriage cerificate and thats all..off course her passport copy. In my case, I-129 and LCA were alongwith I-797. So I m not sure whether it is must.

ALL THE BEST.

raj

I understand that I 797 is the aproval notice we receive from INS.
What is I-129?Is it top portion of the aproval?

I know that we have to fill up I-129 form to get H1b extended.What i dont understand is under the documents for H4 visa,they say I-797,I-129 and LCA.Here what is I-129,is it the application form we send to INS to get the case approved?

I know that we have to fill up I-129 form to get H1b extended. What I don’t understand is under the documents for H4 visa, they say I-797,I-129 and LCA. Here what is I-129,is it the application form we send to INS to get the case approved?

---------- I-129 is petition (Form) that is submitted to BCIS for H1B approval or H1B extension/transfer along with LCA (Labor condition Application) Employer gets LCA approved from DOL for H1b and that LCA is attached to I-129 and both are filed with BCIS for H1B.
The complete H1B petition is: FormI-129+LCA. If you need the copy of I-129 and LCA it may be with your company HR or with the lawyer who submitted the petition to BCIS ask the lawyer for copy of complete I-129+LCA certified by him.