H4 and University (Please help!!!)

akrkap

Registered Users (C)
Dear Members,

My wife is on H4 and currently enrolled in MS program at the Univeristy doing MS.

One of the Prof. in the Computer Science Dept that is teaching a courses to her asked her to work on a research project(which will later count as a Masters Project for her, with a 3 credit course) which will also be useful for the ongoing university research. In return, the Computer Science department is willing to pay her tuition directly to the unviersity registrar for her research contribution. She is not going to get paid by them directly in anyway.

They told her that they cannot pay her stipend or hourly $ as she is on H4. However, they will pay her tuition (directly from the Computer Science Dept to the University Registrar).

I want to know if she can accept this on H4, 1) as the project she is doing will be a part of her MS program. 2) She is not going to get any paycheck, cash or salary. I am hoping this is accetable on H4.

I will appreciate if somone can please advise.

Regards,
Raj

Oops...I didn't read the whole thing.

I think it should be ok to accept the tuition. The International Office in Universities know these details. So, you might want to check with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks KMax for posting message.

Any other members, with their thoughts?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Raj

First of all studying with H4 is very bad practise, you are consuming her H period unnecessarily. Better change to F1 , which is very easy, so that she can come back to H1 as soon as she completes her study and also get stipend legally from university.

Though university credit the money to tution fees the money will be counted as your earning liable for tax too.

akrkap said:
Dear Members,

My wife is on H4 and currently enrolled in MS program at the Univeristy doing MS.

One of the Prof. in the Computer Science Dept that is teaching a courses to her asked her to work on a research project(which will later count as a Masters Project for her, with a 3 credit course) which will also be useful for the ongoing university research. In return, the Computer Science department is willing to pay her tuition directly to the unviersity registrar for her research contribution. She is not going to get paid by them directly in anyway.

They told her that they cannot pay her stipend or hourly $ as she is on H4. However, they will pay her tuition (directly from the Computer Science Dept to the University Registrar).

I want to know if she can accept this on H4, 1) as the project she is doing will be a part of her MS program. 2) She is not going to get any paycheck, cash or salary. I am hoping this is accetable on H4.

I will appreciate if somone can please advise.

Regards,
Raj

Thank you for your responce. Yes, I do understand F 1 is the way to go! I may be having her change this to soon.