H1B visa Question

Canada

Registered Users (C)
Friends:

I am working in US on a H1B visa. I came to US in Jan of this year from Canada. When I entered US on a H1B from Canada they stamped my passport for H1B and it says valid for 3 years.

Following are my questions:

If I go to Canada after March 17,03 do I have to go to the US Counsolute in Toronto to get a visa still?

Any thoughts.......

Thanks in advance for your response

If you are a citizen of BCC and do not have a valid visa stamp in your passport, yes you will have to obtain a visa stamp in your passport to enter the US on or after March 17, 2003.

Yes you are in same boat as i am. You do needa Stamp Visa from US Consualte in Toronto. If you know someone who has recently obtained a Visa from Toronto US Consulate then please let me know.

Guys
Pls clarify .......
If he already has a visa stamp, why should he need to visit the counsulate ?
You can only enter the US for the first time on an H1 if you have a stamp from a counsulate ? so why the question of going to a counsulate ?

You need Stamp Visa on your passport after March 17th, whatif you travel to Canada then you won't gain an entry without a Stamp visa on your passport.

Hi Canada,

Could you verify something for me please? You said you came to the US in JAN of this year, which is 2003. And you said they already gave you a visa for 3 years, then you should not be having any problems for next 3 years. Please correct me if I misunderstand soemthing.

Normally when they issue you H1B papers, and you go to a US embassy, they would issue you a visa until your current H1B papers are valid. For example, you are issued H1B papers applied by your employer, which are valid for 3 years, and you take them to a US consulate to get your passport stamped for visa. Normally they would stamp a visa on your passport for the next 3 years. While you are in the US, before your H1B papers expire, you employer would apply for an extention of your H1B papers. After you get your H1B extention, you can send your passport along with new H1B papers for revalidation of your visa on your passport to INS, without even going back to your native country.

I hope I answersed your question. If you feel that I did not understand your question properly, please feel free to correct me. I will be happy to assist you anyway I can.

Good luck and reagrds..

1 Original poster" Canada" has NOT cleared if he entered US ONLY with H1B approval notice from Canada and at border he got I-94 for 3 years, because at border they don’t stamp Visa stickers in passport.
2 If he got only I-94 at border for 3 years then he needs H1B Visa sticker stamp in his/her passport after March 17th
3. IF after getting his H1B approval notice then got the H1B visa from US consulate in his passport and is still valid it is means he just got I-94 at border post

Many just use the word VISA for H1B approval notice or I-94. H1B approval notice and having I-94 based on that is different than Visa sticker in your passport.
New rules need Visa sticker in passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
H1B visa and Canadian Citizenship

Thank You for all your replies:

I got the H1B notice and when I crossed the border from Canada to USA at the border they stamped my passport which says the company name and valid for 3 years and also issued the I-94 which says you can live and work in USA.

Now my question is:
I will be going to Canada this year for my Canadian Citizenship interview which will most likely be after March 17,03 so when I return to USA should I go the US consulate to get a stamp in my passport or travel on a CANADIAN PASSPORT and is the canandain passort issued immediately or not......

Any Thoughts

Greatly Appreciated

Canada,

If you physically hold a Canadian passport, then you are not required to obtain a visa stamp. Please see the link below. This should answer your question.

Normally at your swearing in ceromony you will be given a citizenship card, if you have filed for one. I am not sure if INS will honor the citizenship card in leiu of a Canadian passport. The best thing would be to call one of the US border posts.

http://www.immigration.com/common/rsk/CanadaVisaRevoke.pdf

Goodluck!

Help Please....

Currently I am on a H1 visa in US and I am applying for immigration to canada as a skilled worker.Because of job market I wanted to persue studies in CAnada.I wanted to initially enter canada as a Visitor and later on change to student visa.What are the possibilities for this............
Does my stay at canada add me any points for my current immigration application?

gc_03,

No it will not benefit you to-wards your canadian immigration. Your stay in Canada as a student will benefit you only at the time of your citizenship.

To be eligible for citizenship you need to show residency in Canada for 3 years. For example if you have stayed in Canada from 01/01/2000 to 12/31/2003 (3years), and you have been granted PR say on 03/01/2004, you should be eligible for citizenship in 1.5 years provided you land in Canada on 03/01/2004. Your stay in canada for 3 years as a student will be given half credit (1.5 years).

This is what I read, but I could be wrong. May be someone else like Ray. S, Mercury, Moloy could comment on this!!

Thank you

Thank you for the info.Could anyone tell me what are the possibilities of getting a student visa after entering canada as a visitor .Are there any problems with it.....

visitor visa info

I am planning to apply for visitor visa in couple of days.How is the process going on now?Are they asking any questions?I will be taking passport h1b copy,paystub and I94.Are these enough?How long can I stay in canada with a multiple entry visa?ie what is the maximum amount of time i can stay in one visit?Do they ask any questions at border crossing?

Thanks in advance...