H1B Transfer

rafiqulahsan

Registered Users (C)
Several questions:

1. How to transfer a H1 from company A (position -Civil Engineer), to company B (CAD operator).
2. My wife works on H1B approved for Civil Engineering, but she is not really doing engineering related work, she is doing more on CAD operator. But they are still paying her the minimum wages - what is required by the Department of Employment Security for foreign national. Her company initially hired her for civil engineering work, but seems like they are not getting that kind of work.
So, she is now looking for job. She got interviewed for CAD operator position with a very good company - they are in a business with all the Civil engineering fields. Although her initial position would be CAD operator - but she would be exposed to real engineering works.

3. Now the question is - how can she transfer her H1 from Civil engineering to CAD operator ? Is there any way to find out the minimum wages required for a CAD operator ?

Last edited by a moderator:
CAD operator job does not require a BS Engg degree which qualifies for an H1B.
Previously draughtsman used to do drafting job in drawing boards, they have only high school graduation and some vocational technical training certificate.

In foreign country student take Induatrial Training Institue certificate to perform the draftsman job. Introduction of computer/AutoCad and similar software programs taken away traditional draftsman job, but more and more trained CAD operators are availble with no formal degree to perform this job.

Since you are looking for H1 transfer you must get it with job title as Civil Engineer and do CAD job. If you only go for CAD operator you may not qulaify to get H1.

rafiqulahsan said:
Several questions:

1. How to transfer a H1 from company A (position -Civil Engineer), to company B (CAD operator).
2. My wife works on H1B approved for Civil Engineering, but she is not really doing engineering related work, she is doing more on CAD operator. But they are still paying her the minimum wages - what is required by the Department of Employment Security for foreign national. Her company initially hired her for civil engineering work, but seems like they are not getting that kind of work.
So, she is now looking for job. She got interviewed for CAD operator position with a very good company - they are in a business with all the Civil engineering fields. Although her initial position would be CAD operator - but she would be exposed to real engineering works.

3. Now the question is - how can she transfer her H1 from Civil engineering to CAD operator ? Is there any way to find out the minimum wages required for a CAD operator ?

Thanks for the info. That was my guess at first - however, I wanted to have a second opinion. We will try this company apply for her H1B as Civil Engineer.