H1B Transfer Stamping

alertpersons

Registered Users (C)
State=NJ

I have recently transferred my H1B. My previous H1B (ex-employer's) is valid till Feb 2007 and my I-94 is valid till Feb 2007. When do I need to do stamping for the new H1B? And Where should the stamping be done? In India or Canada as some people have suggested me that I can get apppointment easily in Canada. Please advice.

Thanks in Advance

alertpersons said:
State=NJ

I have recently transferred my H1B. My previous H1B (ex-employer's) is valid till Feb 2007 and my I-94 is valid till Feb 2007. When do I need to do stamping for the new H1B? And Where should the stamping be done? In India or Canada as some people have suggested me that I can get apppointment easily in Canada. Please advice.

Thanks in Advance
You have to get stamp if you travel after 2/07.

Thanks GotPR for your reply. I have some query:
I plan to visit india in may 2006 for a month. So should I get it stamped in India at that time or no? If no then when I return which visa will I show to the immigration? the ex-employer's or the newly approved? Kindly explain.
Kindly reply.
Thanks in Advance

If you have a valid (unexpired) visa stamp in passport(does not matter if that is with old or new employer), you can use it to enter the US and no need to get new stamp.
If your stamp is with old employer's name,. you may need to show H1 approval notice with new employer as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
GotPR? Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for some more information regarding my case.

Came to US in the month of April'05. Worked for my ex-empolyer till June'05 , resigned and started working for a new company from June'05 itself. I strated working from the date when my new H1B petition filed by my current employer. My H1B with ex-empoyer is valid till Sep 2007 and I-94 till Sep 2007.
I got my new H1B approved in the month 18th Nov '05 after a query.

Are there any issues with case? I haven't got my H1 stamped, I might also go to India in the month of May or June'06. If I have to get my H1 stamped in India, the waiting period is 3 to 6 months. In Canada it is 2 months. So probably I have to get it here only. Are there going to be any issues. Any advice on how I should be prepared for the interview?

Thanks,
-imcg

Your case is very typical one. Everyone who change company on H1 goes through the same path as yours. No issue.
You do not need to get new stamp until current visa stamp is expired. You had better carry new H1 approval notice(I-797A) when you enter the US with stamp from old employer.

Thanks GotPR? for your replies.
I have a query.
When my visa expires, how soon do I need to get it stamped?. And if I am not going out of USA at that time, will I need to specially travel to Canada or other location for stamping?

Thanks in advance

alertpersons said:
Thanks GotPR? for your replies.
I have a query.
When my visa expires, how soon do I need to get it stamped?. And if I am not going out of USA at that time, will I need to specially travel to Canada or other location for stamping?

Thanks in advance
You need to get stamp when you travel for the first time after stamp expired.
As long as you stay in the US after stamp expired, you do not need to get stamp. Stamp is only for the purpose to enter the US. No travel, no stamp is required.

Hi,

Continuing on this, how soon can we get a re-stamping done before the old VISA expires?

I mean if a VISA stamping is set to expire of the 1st Jan 2006, can we get it restamped based on the new transfered H1 in Nov- Dec 2005?

Cheers