H1B to New Job with TN to Green Card...Possible?

Canada2USA

Registered Users (C)
I'm currently on a 1 year extension of an H1B visa after having been on one for 6 years. I had been on two TN's before H1 on a computer systems analyst designation before that.

I want to change jobs. I'm in Seattle and close to Vancouver, BC. I would like to either find a new job while still in my current job or leave and go to Canada/abroad for a few months before getting a US job again.

I want to find a job in the US that requires 5 years of experience (which I have) and along with my related Bachelor's degree, I should get the EB2 category. I'm currently in the EB3 category and given how long it takes, it's just not really an option anymore.

Will I have any problems changing from TN to H1B? I haven't filed an I-140 at this point and if my company is going to do so (checking on when they're planning to do this now as I have PERM completed) then I'd just quit. I don't want to be ineligible for TN due to this.

Can I find another job, get a letter, quit and pop across the border to change status? Will this cause any problems? Should I just quit, selling everything, move to Vancouver for a while and come back?

Anyone have any ideas?

Is there any advantage to completely leaving the country before finding another job? Should I just find one and make the change?

It is a disadvantage to leave the country, as then you need to enter US as a tourist and convince the border guard that you aren't going down to look for work -- which is exactly what you would be doing.

People can't come to the US to interview for a job? I didn't remember that. I thought that was ok as per the rules.