H1b Stamping Experience

guy_2000

Registered Users (C)
Friends - On 11-april I managed to have my h1b visa issued successfully at the new delhi consulate. It was a cake walk. She asked straight forward questions and I gave simple and short answers to all the qns. I have gained tremendously from this forum and I feel it is my duty to share whatever I can..I might just make somebody's day..here is what she asked.

1. Purpose of Trip - Work.
2. Where would you be working in US - SFO, CA
3. Is this the headquater of this company ? - Yes.
4. Would you be working at the headquaters or at some other location - Headquaters.
5. What salary are they offering - USD abc p.a.
6. Where are u employed currently - XYZ Ltd, India.
7. Whay are you leaving a great company to join this small company - Need some international/client site exposure.
8. You had been to US on B1 last year ? - Yes
9. Did you search for this job while u were there - No.
10. Did you interview for this job while you were there - No.
11. How did you come to know of this job opening - Times of India.

OK, please pay the courier fee at the TTS counter. We will send your visa by courier..thanks. and that was it ! I was ecstatic.

I know a few of the above questions may make seem uneasy. But, I think the key here is to be very well prepared. Browse all websites, forums, articles that come your way. What helps most however is an understanding of how the consulate thinks and issues or denies a visa. I have found the website travel.state.gov to be very useful.

I got the stamped passport back today, but the duration of the visa is from 14-04-05 to 31-12-2006. (only a year and half.). I was told that H1b visas are issued for three years. Although I don't know the reason, I think the fact that my passport is valid only till oct-2007 is the problem. Could you guys tell me if this is going to be a major hassle ? Will I have to come back to India to extend the visa of can I get it done in US ? How long does it take to extend it ?
As usual, any comments would be highly appreciated.

cheers,
guy_2000.

Last edited by a moderator:
guy_2000 said:
Friends - On 11-april I managed to have my h1b visa issued successfully at the new delhi consulate. It was a cake walk. She asked straight forward questions and I gave simple and short answers to all the qns. I have gained tremendously from this forum and I feel it is my duty to share whatever I can..I might just make somebody's day..here is what she asked.

1. Purpose of Trip - Work.
2. Where would you be working in US - SFO, CA
3. Is this the headquater of this company ? - Yes.
4. Would you be working at the headquaters or at some other location - Headquaters.
5. What salary are they offering - USD abc p.a.
6. Where are u employed currently - XYZ Ltd, India.
7. Whay are you leaving a great company to join this small company - Need some international/client site exposure.
8. You had been to US on B1 last year ? - Yes
9. Did you search for this job while u were there - No.
10. Did you interview for this job while you were there - No.
11. How did you come to know of this job opening - Times of India.

OK, please pay the courier fee at the TTS counter. We will send your visa by courier..thanks. and that was it ! I was ecstatic.

I know a few of the above questions may make seem uneasy. But, I think the key here is to be very well prepared. Browse all websites, forums, articles that come your way. What helps most however is an understanding of how the consulate thinks and issues or denies a visa. I have found the website travel.state.gov to be very useful.

I got the stamped passport back today, but the duration of the visa is from 14-04-05 to 31-12-2006. (only a year and half.).
May be your LCA validity date considered while approving your h1b in US
I was told that H1b visas are issued for three years. Although I don't know the reason, I think the fact that my passport is valid only till oct-2007 is the problem. Could you guys tell me if this is going to be a major hassle ? Will I have to come back to India to extend the visa of can I get it done in US ? How long does it take to extend it ?
As usual, any comments would be highly appreciated.

cheers,
guy_2000.

Hi Guy_2000,

Congratson your stamping and thanks for sharing ur experience.
Have couple of questions..
1. Were you from North India or South India? Coz I'm from South and will be attending interview at Delhi.
2. Ho wmany people work for the US company which you are going to?

Thanks and Regards

I took a closer look at my I-797 yesterday and found that it is valid till 31-dec-2006 only and that is reason for the lesser duration...
Will I need to get a new stamping done after this period is over ? Would I have to come back to India to do that ?

And yes Kamath - I am from North India. But I kow a few of my friends from Chennai/B'lore who attended the interview in delhi and got the stamp. So that in itself should not be a problem..My company in US employs 90+ employees.

cheers !

guy_2000 said:
I took a closer look at my I-797 yesterday and found that it is valid till 31-dec-2006 only and that is reason for the lesser duration...

Will I need to get a new stamping done after this period is over ? Would I have to come back to India to do that ?
------ when you land at US airport you will get white I-94 form stamped by POE officer valid till your Visa expiry date AND before the date on I-94 expires you employer need to file H1 extension petition with USCIS and you will get new I-94 attached with H1 extension approval and you can stay and work till the validity of I-94 and will need to get new Visa stamp if you go out of US

And yes Kamath - I am from North India. But I kow a few of my friends from Chennai/B'lore who attended the interview in delhi and got the stamp. So that in itself should not be a problem..My company in US employs 90+ employees.

cheers !