H1b holder works for companies outside USA??

tiwari_raddi

Registered Users (C)
I am a H1b holder and my 485 is pending. My question is if it is ok for me to work for other companies outside USA while I am working for the US company in USA with H1b? Any effect of this on my GC application?

Huge thanks.

Raddi

Util you become a LPR while you are physically inside the US, you may work for only your H1B visa holder. Illegal work is viewed harshly. It can most certainly derail your GC. Failing to properly file taxes accounting for that income is also a very serious problem.

In addition, your employment contract with your employer may prohibit you for working for someone else without permission. Do you really want to risk your job?

thanks

Util you become a LPR while you are physically inside the US, you may work for only your H1B visa holder. Illegal work is viewed harshly. It can most certainly derail your GC. Failing to properly file taxes accounting for that income is also a very serious problem.

In addition, your employment contract with your employer may prohibit you for working for someone else without permission. Do you really want to risk your job?

My understanding is that it is illegal to work for different US companies with one H1b. Does it prohibit me from working for a company outside USA in my spare time? Of course, if I get any payments from the work, I will fill it in my tax return.

Many thanks again.

While you are in the US, you may only work for H1B sponsor. Working for a foreign company who has not filed for concurrent H1B sponsorship is illegal work.

You may work for a second employer but he too must file for sponsorship; if they are willing to pay the money and get approval, you are able to work.

Many thanks for your help!

While you are in the US, you may only work for H1B sponsor. Working for a foreign company who has not filed for concurrent H1B sponsorship is illegal work.

You may work for a second employer but he too must file for sponsorship; if they are willing to pay the money and get approval, you are able to work.

The key point I do not understand is that these other companies are not US companies and also not in USA, i.e. indian companies in Indian. Obviously these companies are beyand the controls of H1b. However does H1b rules have any restriction on this - H1b holder works for them?

It does not matter where the companies are. It matters that you are in the US, and it is illegal for you to work for anyone other than your H1B sponsor.

If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else where it will not be illegal work to do what you propose.

I am done with this thread.