H1B extensions - 1 year or 3 years?

gohil_anant

I have approved I-140 from company A. I now work for company B, and have kept getting one year extensions while working for company B. Now I am about to file my tenth year extension.

I recently heard from a friend of mine, that instead of just filing for another one years extension, now I can file for a 3 year extension. He was saying that there was some rule change that was made into effect sometimes Oct 2005. Is this true? If so, do you have any link to some documentation or memo from BCIS, that states this? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

The rule is already existing well before Oct 2005, if I 140 is approved you can get 3 years extn of H1 beyond 6 years. Your attorney has to put to gether all the papers with a special request to get this extn.

gohil_anant said:
I have approved I-140 from company A. I now work for company B, and have kept getting one year extensions while working for company B. Now I am about to file my tenth year extension.

I recently heard from a friend of mine, that instead of just filing for another one years extension, now I can file for a 3 year extension. He was saying that there was some rule change that was made into effect sometimes Oct 2005. Is this true? If so, do you have any link to some documentation or memo from BCIS, that states this? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thank you for your response. I know this would be too selfish for me to ask, but I was wondering, if I could ask you to send me a link to some documentation or BCIS memo that indicates this "If I-140 is approved, then I can get a 3 year extension beyond the 6 year limit". I looked around but was unsuccessful to find it.

My lawyer charges $2,500 as their fees. But is completely worthless as I have to do all the research and keep the plate ready for them.

Any help would be highly appreciated.