H1B (DS160 - Need help)

somethingreal

Registered Users (C)
Hi! My H1B Petition has just been approved and I am in the process of preparing for the visa stamping. I would like to seek you opinion/advice given this scenario:

- Went to the US last year for a vacation, I resigned then from my job. Stayed in the US for 5 months. Went home November 2010. Opportunity for a US Company came in December 2010 while I am in my home country, and after the Employer interviewed me, they decided to file an H1B petition.

- During that same time in December, the previous company I worked for re-hired me. I started January 2011, which is a perfect timing while I wait for my petition. However, I resigned last June 2011, and right now I am just helping out with our business (pro bono) to keep me occupied while I wait for the H1B.

So my question is:
In the DS160, there is a field that asks what the current occupation is. Is it perfectly okay during the interview to say that I resigned if asked? There is an option there that says "Not Employed" then a field box to give an explanation.

What should I answer when asked what is my present occupation? Please note also that I have 4 years of experience in the field and that was what was submitted to USCIS (not counting my work experience from January - June of this year since the petition was filed in January).

Thank you so much in advance to those who will answer! :)

Hi somethingreal,
Are you intending to not show Jan to June experience?It would be safer if you would choice not employed but mention about the job you did while the application was being processed.good luck!

Hi! My H1B Petition has just been approved and I am in the process of preparing for the visa stamping. I would like to seek you opinion/advice given this scenario:

- Went to the US last year for a vacation, I resigned then from my job. Stayed in the US for 5 months. Went home November 2010. Opportunity for a US Company came in December 2010 while I am in my home country, and after the Employer interviewed me, they decided to file an H1B petition.

- During that same time in December, the previous company I worked for re-hired me. I started January 2011, which is a perfect timing while I wait for my petition. However, I resigned last June 2011, and right now I am just helping out with our business (pro bono) to keep me occupied while I wait for the H1B.

So my question is:
In the DS160, there is a field that asks what the current occupation is. Is it perfectly okay during the interview to say that I resigned if asked? There is an option there that says "Not Employed" then a field box to give an explanation.

What should I answer when asked what is my present occupation? Please note also that I have 4 years of experience in the field and that was what was submitted to USCIS (not counting my work experience from January - June of this year since the petition was filed in January).

Thank you so much in advance to those who will answer! :)
"right now I am just helping out with our business (pro bono) to keep me occupied while I wait for the H1B".
What do you mean by "our business"? if you are doing business in your home country then write what you are doing. It is simple: Employed or Not employed. write what is your situation at Present.

@ Nancy Mervin - I do intend to show my experience from January until June. Thank you for you input! Appreciate it!
@ ginnu - We have a family business, and since I resigned last June, I am helping in its operations since it is just new. Thank you, I'll just put there "Not Employed" and explain that I am currently helping out in our family business. Telling the truth is the only way to go.

Please pray that I will be approved during the visa stamping! Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. :)