H1B - Asylum in USA

rajiv75

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am out of status as my H1b has been denied. I have couple of question.

1) Can I apply for Asylum or should my spouse should apply for Asylum.

What complication could occur ? Do any of you have any idea.. Help is really appreciated.

Please advice.
rajiv75

Hi,

I am out of status as my H1b has been denied. I have couple of question.

1) Can I apply for Asylum or should my spouse should apply for Asylum.

What complication could occur ? Do any of you have any idea.. Help is really appreciated.

Please advice.
rajiv75

wow, your H1 has been denied and now you want to apply for asylum.
You have to understand that asylum is given only to those who suffered persecution or those who will suffer persecution if they go home. Asylum is not an option to stay unless you have a strong case

first of all what assylum mentioned is correct, and i agree! don't keep looking for someone who has had the same experience, look for someone who can provide you with accurate and helpful immigration advice. sometimes that might not be what you want to hear.

apply for asylum, only if you want to apply for asylum, don't use it merely as a way to earn immigration benefits, because i promise you, you will fail. applying for asylum is a complicated procedure. if you have a strong case and you can prove credibility, file for it.

as for which of you to apply, again, it depends which one of you has a stronger case. that person should always apply. it doesn't matter if ur in status or not, you can always apply for asylum. however, it is better to apply within 1 year of ur arrival in the US. if you both have the same identical case, it is better for the one who has been here the least to apply.

if you can afford it, find and consult a good immigration lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, you can. My friends were in the same situation and they got approved with their case. They are applying for GC now.

Of course, you can. My friends were in the same situation and they got approved with their case. They are applying for GC now.

Thanks SantaMonica, thanks for help. I will apply for Asylum. Further we belong to place where lots of terriorist activities are going on.