H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

user28 said:
I don't think that is correct but i am not 100% sure as these rules change everyday.

Hi,
You are right, I called 1-888-840-0032 (paid service $1.59 per minute) which is for US Embassy in Canada and confirmed with them. They do recommend , but there is no direct written rule.
Thank you.

-GCCovet

Visa appointment on March1st

Hi aboppana,

I have my visa satamping from F1-H1B for the first time in ottawa on March 1st at 9.30AM. My question is Did you go the scotia bank for the application fee to be deposited?
How can I pay the application fee(CASH or any other)?

I'll be driving from Buffalo to ottawa.
Any help would be really appreciated.

Congrats for the successful stamping for you and ur wife!

Thanks in advance!
Duncan.

aboppana said:
Our appointment was at 8:00 AM on 17th at the Consulate and we drove from Albany, NY to Ottawa via Lansdowne port of entry on 16th evening. We had to complete the formalities at the Canadian Immigration post as we were landing in Canada as Immigrants. We reached Ottawa about 11:00 PM and checked in to the Clarion hotel in GATINEAU, which is about 10 min drive from the consulate. I found Ottawa downtown is a very confusing and easy to get lost.

We took a cab on 17th morning from the hotel and we reached there about 7:30, the fare was $16. It was freezing cold and the temperature was almost -10 and we were allowed into Consulate anout 7:40. They do not allow any thing except for the documents (no lip balm, glue stick, ladies hand bags, cell phones, office bags, laptop bags, chewing gums , etc... are allowed). My wife had to throw her hand bag, nothing in it. They don't let you throw anything in the consulate surroundings. We were security checked, and allowed in to consulate. There were about 4 people ahead of me in the consulate.

at about 7:50, counter 7 was opened and the person is collecting the passport, I-797, Application, DS-157, $100 fee. My wife and I are next to each other in the line to pay the fee. The fee receipt will be given at the time of interview. At about 8:05 counter 2 was opened and a tall guy with serious look started taking interviews. He sounded very serious, but ok. No queries and no rejects, but taking his own time to make sure everything before he issues the visa. He was asking many questions, but the regular expected questions.

People were called in for interview randomly, he called some who came in after us. At about 9:00 window 3 was opened and at 9:20 window 1. They both are ladies. The officer at window 3 was very jovial and she was joking and providing some directions to places as well. We were waiting, waiting and waiting finally my wife's name was called at about 9:35 from the counter 1. My wife's case is H4 to H1.

VO: so you landed in to Canada as Immigrant yesterday?
me: yes maam.

VO: When did you come to US.
my wife: xx-xx-xxxx

VO: How long have you been working
my wife: 4 months

VO: which company do you work for?
my wife: xyz

VO: where?
my wife: abc city

VO: so, you were temperorily there? (as home address is different in the application)
my wife: yes

VO: Where does your husband work?
my wife: xxx

VO: What does your husband do?
my wife: abc

VO: what do you do and your responsibilities?
my wife: blah blah blah...

VO: Can I see the letter that was submitted by your employer, to INS along with your H1B petition.
my wife: yes, and she gave it to her.

Then she looked at it and went way from the counter with the documents and was talking to another person, she came back after 5 min and gave the letter and I-797 back with a token (red color), and asked to collect the passport the next day.

My wife saw my application on VO desk, so she told me that I am next at counter-1. I was called in couple minutes.

me: Good Morning
VO: very good morning

VO: so you landed in to Canada as Immigrant yesterday?
me: yes maam.

VO: How long have you been in US.
me: 6.5 years

VO: Did you have your GC process pending more than year.
me: yes maam. I have my labor pending more than one year. I have the doc if you like to look at it.

VO: What is the priority date?
me: I was trying to recall my priority date.

VO: Can I see the doc.
me: I gave her the document.

VO: What do you do?
me: I am a computer systems analyst. I do blah, blah, blah.. 20 sec.

VO: How long have you been working for this employer?
me: almost 2.5 years

VO: Do you work at your office's corporate office or clinet location.
me: I work at Client's place.

VO: Who is the client?
me: abc

VO: You can pick up your passport tomorrow at 3:00 PM.
me: Thank you maam.

VO: good day
me: thanks, you too have a good day

My interview was about a minute. We collected our passports the next day about 2:50. It was very cool.

Be confident and keep every possible document with you and the VOs and interviews are very cool.

The worst part and I didn't like was the Interview hall was very small in a very huge palace like building.

I hope this helps and good luck to you all. Let me know if you have any questions.

To canjazz

No, I am still waiting for the clearance. Whats was u'r experience? Is it TAL? Are u still in Vanc?

canjazz said:
Hi,

Samia, so did you recieve your H1B? I applied for visa at Vancouver and I am stuck waiting for visa issuance under administrative processing, as my job falls under TAL. They told me that they have to go through a clearance procedure called Mantis. Does anyone know how long this might take?

Thanks.

Duncan,

Last September I went to Ottawa for H1 7th year stamping, and the fee was collected at the consulate in the form of cash.

Unless anything changed between then and now it should still be cash.

Goodluck!

duncan5 said:
Hi aboppana,

I have my visa satamping from F1-H1B for the first time in ottawa on March 1st at 9.30AM. My question is Did you go the scotia bank for the application fee to be deposited?
How can I pay the application fee(CASH or any other)?

I'll be driving from Buffalo to ottawa.
Any help would be really appreciated.

Congrats for the successful stamping for you and ur wife!

Thanks in advance!
Duncan.

To Samia

Hi,

I am into bioinformatics. Although my work area is not clearly into TAL, but as I write programs for biochemistry, virology analysis...a MANTIS clearance was requested. VO suggested to send a detailed description of my current job duties. I am not in Van, but I live nearby VanCity. Are you into TAL or Name Check?

Can I get two H1 extensions stamped at once?

Here is my situation:
Currently on 7th year H1 extension which expires 4/30/2007 (7th year extension not stamped in passport).
Have another 3 year extension approval ie., 5/1/2007-4/30/2010.

Will be travelling to canada on Feb 22nd for visa stamping.

Few qns:
1) Will the consulate issue me a visa all they way to 4/30/2010?
If yes, will they issue two stamps in the passport one to 4/30/2007 and one to 4/30/2010, or just one stamp?

2) If they issue one all the way to 4/30/2010, I am assuming I can re-enter the country straightaway ie., the visa does not have an effective "begin" date of 5/1/2007.

Anyone have any experience with a similar situation?
Your help will be appreciated.

Passport issue

My H4 is going to expire by the end of Feb. I am going to Canada for revalidation of my H4 visa which is approved for 3 years. The problem i am facing is that my passport expires in 2008 August. I cannot renew my Indian passport before 1year of the passport expiry date. Now the situation is that according to the US visa rules my passport should be valid for three years after my intended stay in US. I cannot renew my passport now, and my visa is for 3 years...which basically means i need to have a passport valid for about 6 years. I dont know what to do. Please reply immediately if you went through a similar situation.

tri_nj said:
My H4 is going to expire by the end of Feb. I am going to Canada for revalidation of my H4 visa which is approved for 3 years. The problem i am facing is that my passport expires in 2008 August. I cannot renew my Indian passport before 1year of the passport expiry date. Now the situation is that according to the US visa rules my passport should be valid for three years after my intended stay in US. I cannot renew my passport now, and my visa is for 3 years...which basically means i need to have a passport valid for about 6 years. I dont know what to do. Please reply immediately if you went through a similar situation.

TRI_NJ
I had the same case.

Nothing to worry about.
Consulate will stamp your current passport with valid visa (most probably for full 3 year tenure). In worst case they will stamp it for one year. Mine was stamped for full tenure though.
-GCCovet

Gurus,

My situation is that I've H1-B extension paperwork till Feb 2010 but have to get it stamped. Actually, For some reason my company filed my H1 extn in premium but kept my wife's case in normal processing. My wife's H-4 petetion is still pending, for her I even don't have receipt number yet.

Now my company wants me to travel international in March 07 and to be on safe side, I booked visa appointment in Ottawa for Mar 05. I already got my visa stamped in Toronto once before.

Now question is what affect can this have to my wife's H-4 renewal application in case I am travelling outside country. I am not sure if I should travel outside the country until my wife gets her H-4 approval.

Thanks

Has anyone with US degree and alerady done stamping once before in Canada been put on administrative processing or denied visa ?
Is anyone aware of such a case ?

Thanks

I know a number of them for name check and background checks. If you mean checks for qualification, no... thats no risk. If its the same job, you can be certain that you'll qualify. However, name checks can happen anytime for anyone.

there r number of trackers here that capture different people's experiences. Official numbers say that more than 90% clearances are done within 30 days and 1 or 2% applicants have to wait for like 90 days or so... but really, no good number is available that tells the real story for indivdual countries. This number includes applicants in European countries etc.

H1 Visa Stamping in Canada

Can anyone please answer my one doubt .
Here is my background Info:

I am in USA H1B visa since 2000. Home COuntry INDIA.As backup I became Canadian landed Immigrant. BUt I didn't stay there for More than 2 days. Immediately I came back to USA. I landed canada in year 2004.
Now I have 3 Yrs H1B approval.

Question:

Now IN H1-B Revalidation from it ask , are you canadian resident? What should I answer?

As officially I am landed immigrant , but not living in Canada. So, Should I give USA address or Canada adddress(which was given initially)?

- WIll that be any problem with Stamping process?
- is there any risk involved?

Thanks

successfully visa renewal at Ottawa

Successful Visa stamping (H1 and H4) at Ottawa Consulate on 26th Feb.
9 to 11 yrs extension based on 140 approval.
Drove from NJ to Ottawa without any problem.
Canada border: Asked for purpose of the visit  Visiting and US Embassy
Told us to go inside and showed our Appointment letter, I-797s and Passports

We stayed near by hotel Quality Inn (15 min walk to consulate)
We have a infant, we took baby formula in zip lock (you can take Stroller also)
After security checkup, paid the fee at counter. They took 156, 157 and 797s and Fee
Called for an interview and asked the VO
Show me your daughter’s passport (US citizen)
What do you do?
How long you are with this company?
How long you are in USA?
What project you are working
Where do you work at client and office?
Who is your client?
How long you are on this project?
Show me Attorney paper work filed to INS for H1 extension
Did your company file Permanent Residence?
show me your employment letter?

Next day we picked our passports and found out that they took out old I-94.

At US border they issued new I-94s after routine questions.

This is just my experience. Thanks for all information we get from this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing it

I will be going to Ottawa, from NJ on Mar 11 too. I had my I-140 just filed.

Did Quality Inn had parking too?

Thanks again,

Congrats for successful visa stamping. How long did it take to get Canadian visit visa? Did you apply by mail or in person?

Canada border: Asked for purpose of the visit  Visiting and US Embassy
Told us to go inside and showed our Appointment letter, I-797s and Passports

We have a infant, we took baby formula in zip lock (you can take Stroller also)
After security checkup, paid the fee at counter. They took 156, 157 and 797s and Fee
Called for an interview and asked the VO
Show me your daughter’s passport (US citizen)
What do you do?
How long you are with this company?
How long you are in USA?
What project you are working
Where do you work at client and office?
Who is your client?
How long you are on this project?
Show me Attorney paper work filed to INS for H1 extension
Did your company file Permanent Residence?

Next day we picked our passports and found out that they took out old I-94.

At US border they issued new I-94s after routine questions.

This is just my experience. Thanks for all information we get from this forum.

Going to Canada for H1-B stamping

Folks
I need to get my H1-b stamped on my passport.
I would like to know the following

1. Is it necessary to get appointment in the US consulate district where I was issued my Canadian Permanent Residency? I am a canadian resident and was issued in Toronto. I want to get it stamped in Ottawa since the appointment is available there not in Toronto?

Can you please help me
Thanks