H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

why no filed as COS?

regardless, you would need to go to the consulate that was specified in your I129 petition.

lots of cases of successful first H1B stamping in canada and you can find mine and many other experiences in this thread.

avisam said:
Hi,

I am planning on going to get my first H-1B stamp in Vancouver. I have just completed a BS and MS in the U.S. I am not a Canadian citizen or PR. My H-1B was filed as consular notification, not as change-of-status from F-1.

Question:

1) Anyone had a similar experience? Stamping first H-1 in Canada, not being a Canadian PR or citizen?

2) Anyone think there will be any problem with me going to Vancouver instead of to my home country? (I'm going to Vancouver because its closer and because there is a long wait time before getting an appointment at my home country)

3) Are there any reasons why my visa stamp could be denied (from the information that I gave above)?

Any Middle Eastern with stamping experience?

I am a medical resident in pennsylvania ,came from my country Egypt to the states almost 6 years ago on tourism visa then i switched it here to F1 visa then i finally switched it to work visa when i started my residency.wanna go to Canada for visa stamping.not sure how they deal with middle easterns in US embassies in Canada. and are they going to give me hard time because i entered the country originally on tourism visa? :confused:

Stamping at Ottawa!? Please give your thoughts

tusharvk said:
why no filed as COS?

regardless, you would need to go to the consulate that was specified in your I129 petition.

lots of cases of successful first H1B stamping in canada and you can find mine and many other experiences in this thread.

Gurus,
I need some information about stamping at Ottawa. I am on H1b for the past 7 yers and now have 3 years extension based on approved I-140. Not able to apply for I-485 due to retrogression. I had only one visa stamping in 1999 and came to USA. that is expired. I have not gone out of the country for the past 6 years. Now I need to travell to India and london to visit my parents. Could you tell me any issues? I also own my own house in the US. Is there any risks.How is ottawa. I work for a US based company full time for the past 6 years.Please give your thoughts since I have no experience with Canada stamping.

Thanks

H1 VISA Stamping TRANSFER/8th year extension

Hi All,
My H1 VISA expired in July 2005.I have valid H1 upto Feb 2007,which
was transfer/8th year.
My education was completely in India,but have 7+ years experience in US.
I was thinking of going to Canada/Mexico for Stamping on current H1.

Which consulate is best to go -Canada/Mexico??
Because,I have a Visa which would have expired since 1+years and since I dont have any US degree,and also, that this is 8th year+transfer,would it be unsafe to go for Visa Stamping in Canada/Mexico.Was planning to go to Vancouver.

Thanks for your replies,
everonh1

H1-B Successful revalidation in Calgary

Just thought of posting my experience in Calgary for anyone who is planning to get their visas stamped in Canada. Though, I never got an replies back for the questions I had, hopefully this answers a few questions to people who intend to get their visa stamped F1 to H1B.

I got my H1-B revalidation successfully done and got my visa back the same day. There were no hiccups through the process, but I wouldn't call it very straight forward either.

I reached the US consulate at 8 am for my 9 am appointment. The security check took a long time to get through, He didnt let us in until 8.30 am for a 9.00am appointment. We were not allowed to take any bags, electronic equipment or beverges or food there. So I had to carry all my paper work in folders. After the security check, we were taken to a room, the place wasnt very crowded (about 20 people but the strength went up with time) but there was only one officer conducting the interview so it took a little while. I was called at the counter twice, once to submit my paperwork, pay the fees ($100 cash) and the second time for an actual interview.

I was asked to show my expired I-20s, EAD (opt) card that was issued after graduation and I-797 to verify that I wasn't out of status anytime. The questions asked were, what was my purpose of visit to Calgary, when and where I got my Masters degree from and when do I intend to fly back to Houston ("if I did"). The only problem I ran into was my last name since, my passport does not have anything written on my last name (am a south indian so didnt have a last name in india but my middle name became my last name when my F1 visa was issued and has stayed tht way ever since), the officer said she couldn't understand about it and thats not the way it happens in US. She said it is always recommended to go back to one's own home country to get their visas stamped. That probably was the only moment my heart skipped a beat, but fortunately it went through. I was asked to collect my passport (still does not guarantee the visa issuance) at 3 pm after paying the reciprocity fee ($50 cash) and I got out at around 10.00 am. I was still a little nervous when I picked up the visa at 3 pm. Well, I got a multiple entry visa valid for 3 yrs. There were a couple of other guys with similar cases, one of them was asked to come after a week due some security clearance issue, rest were approved.

Any questions, I will be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Regards,
Ganesh S

Ganesh,
Can I talk to you regarding my h1b revalidation? Can you email me the contact details to msureshkr at hotmail . com?

thanks
Suresh M

Strange Montreal Message

Hi Can you share your experience as by now you must be back

Also I have one question :

I took appointment through nvars.com in July but when i go to nvars to reschedule - I get a message displayed under the drop down for select location (montreal) which says :

"The Montreal Consulate does not book visa appointments for applicants residing in the United States. Please review the appointment availability at an alternate consulate"

Do you know anything about it or did you ever see the same message there?

allinone said:
Hi,

I have appointment for H1 B on Jun 20th in Montreal.

Can anyone please share your experience in Montreal...

Please let me know if there is any good way to go to Montreal from New York, I mean with less price....

Thanks in advance...

What dou you mean by TCN?

------------------------------------------------------------
I took appointment through nvars.com in July but when i go to nvars to reschedule - I get a message displayed under the drop down for select location (montreal) which says :

"The Montreal Consulate does not book visa appointments for applicants residing in the United States. Please review the appointment availability at an alternate consulate"

Do you know anything about it or can u see the same message there?
----------------------------------------------------------

srsin said:
the site does not allow to reschedule for canada untill first cancel the current one. no other suggestion. montreal does not allow TCN, you can not book there from US.

Waiting for my clearance

I am stuck in Canada in security clearance since 21 February 2006......its more than 120 days which i thought would be maximum period...... This is just an info for those guys who think that security clearance take around 2 weeks to 4 months..........as i thought so......
Any way good luck for those who are stuck....God help all........

Waiting for my clearance

I am from pakistan, have common name ( main reason ) .........and applied in toronto consulate........they didnt ask any document or any question , just said that i can issue u a visa but ur name is common name and we need clearance for that .... so u have to call us back in 2 Weeks.....and now its more than four months......
I am here on Visit Visa and staying with friends.....Now thinking about to go back to home country... its frustrating...........I dont know how much time they need for clearance..........God help all............

buntyhaz said:
Hi
Me and my wife are planning to go to Montreal or Otawwa for our visa revalidation begining of june. when I called up the consulate person, I was told that it takes 3 business days + the interview day earliest to get the visa.

Is that true? Can anyone please tell me the approx timings in each of the consulates so I can get the visa appointment. 3 days leave would be an impossible for me vacation wise...

thanks in advance

Sid

Can you share your experience and your profile?

Thanks in advance

all the best to you and hope you get your visa stamp soon.

Thank you for posting your experience as it reinforces the general suggestion that people should not leave the country for visa stamping unless they absolutely have to.
arif_t2 said:
I am from pakistan, have common name ( main reason ) .........and applied in toronto consulate........they didnt ask any document or any question , just said that i can issue u a visa but ur name is common name and we need clearance for that .... so u have to call us back in 2 Weeks.....and now its more than four months......
I am here on Visit Visa and staying with friends.....Now thinking about to go back to home country... its frustrating...........I dont know how much time they need for clearance..........God help all............

tusharvk said:
all the best to you and hope you get your visa stamp soon.

Thank you for posting your experience as it reinforces the general suggestion that people should not leave the country for visa stamping unless they absolutely have to.

This is genrally true but situation is worse for Muslims and specially if your name is remotely similar to any name in govt's list of bad guys.

Please Help

Chicago Desi said:
This is genrally true but situation is worse for Muslims and specially if your name is remotely similar to any name in govt's list of bad guys.
I am Indian M'lim and I was told that consulates have started calling ahead of the time if there is a chance that they will get stuck due to clearance.
I have appointment in August.

Very sad to read. I am from Pakistan too and will be going for stamping around OCT. I dont know if my name will also be a "common name"! I do have 2 expired visa stamps (this is my 8th year in US) and I am a Canadian PR too. I dont know if that will help or not.

Did they keep all of your documents? specially I-94 and Passport , I-797? If not then why cant you return to US and work unless they call you back?

arif_t2 said:

They not keep any document from me..Even not ask any question.....just said that your name is in our security list for that we need to do background Check and call us after Two weeks..
Else they Cancelled my previous stamp on passport too which was expired any way.....So i cant go back to USA...

stamping at Ottawa

Hi I have an appointment at ottwa us consulate on 25th Aug. I am currently working on expired H1B visa with approved I-797. I had my previous H1 visa stamped in India but this time I have to go to canada because I am travelling Europe in sept.

My wife is also going to come with me at the interview for her H4 stamping, she got her previous stamp at Mumbai. my 6 month old son (US citizen) will be travelling with us to canada.

I have a questions.
Do they allow to carry kids with us for an interview ? as I have no other place where I can leave my baby ? :confused:

desireuben said:
Hi I have an appointment at ottwa us consulate on 25th Aug. I am currently working on expired H1B visa with approved I-797. I had my previous H1 visa stamped in India but this time I have to go to canada because I am travelling Europe in sept.

My wife is also going to come with me at the interview for her H4 stamping, she got her previous stamp at Mumbai. my 6 month old son (US citizen) will be travelling with us to canada.

I have a questions.
Do they allow to carry kids with us for an interview ? as I have no other place where I can leave my baby ? :confused:

Yes, you can take your kid with you for the interview. I went to ottowa sometime last year for my H1B stamping. But just make sure that your wife doesnt carry her purse. They will not allow. They will not even allow to take your car keys. You can drop your car keys at the security and later pick it up. Also make sure that you carry all your documents in a clear plastic bag or file folders.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I-94 question

I am going to canada on july 15 , for landing

My question is

1- At the time of leaving u s a what I-94 i have to surrender the White I-94 which was given to me when I entered last time in u s a or I should surrender the I-94 attached to approval notice I-797

2-The visa automatic rule is still valid if I am travelling by air . If any body here has recently used automatic visa revalidation please share your experience