H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

sunven said:
We are leaving to canada next month for Visa Revalidation, H1 & H4 for my wife.

We both got Approvals. But my wife's name came wrong on approval. First name came as last name and last name as first name. My lawyer is sent couple of faxes to USINS. No response yet.

Will that be a problem, if I go for stamping with current approval.

Please help.

Thanks,

check out murthy.com
I think I have read an article with this problem on that website.
in any case, it is a good idea to wait if you can and go with the corrected approval notices as far as possible.

tusharvk,

My lawyer is working on getting the corrected approval notice.

I have to land in canada before end of may. That is the problem.

Anyway I got copy of the application sent for H4 and copy of the letter sent for name correction from my lawyer.

I have 20 more days. Hope I will get the corrected approval before that.

Thanks

Ottawa Info Need

I have an appointment on May 19th.
Any body has any experience with this center or any special guide lines.
Any hotel or any other details will appreciate.

Thank you - Jith.

Jith

Hi Jith,
I've appt in June. Would really appreciate if you could post your experience after returning. btw r u going for F1 to H1 or for just H1 revalidation? From what I've found from website, this hotel is walking distance from consulate:
Quality Hotel Ottawa Downtown
290 Rideau Street
Ottawa ON Ca K1N 5Y3

thanks,
D S

jillendula said:
I have an appointment on May 19th.
Any body has any experience with this center or any special guide lines.
Any hotel or any other details will appreciate.

Thank you - Jith.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure D S .am on H1B.
Thanks for the info and you took the canada visitor visa or what?
If, do we need to mention that we are attending the counsulate in colum 3 of 5257 application?

Thanks - Jith.

DSLstart said:
Hi Jith,
I've appt in June. Would really appreciate if you could post your experience after returning. btw r u going for F1 to H1 or for just H1 revalidation? From what I've found from website, this hotel is walking distance from consulate:
Quality Hotel Ottawa Downtown
290 Rideau Street
Ottawa ON Ca K1N 5Y3

thanks,
D S

Last edited by a moderator:
jith

Jith,
I haven't yet applied for Canadian visitor visa yet. Will be applying next week. But from what I understand from this website is that you can mention on application form that the purpose of your trip is stamping of US Visa on passport.
jillendula said:
Sure D S .am on H1B.
Thanks for the info and you took the canada visitor visa or what?
If, do we need to mention that we are attending the counsulate in colum 3 of 5257 application?

Thanks - Jith.

Got passport back on same day at Vancouver?

Could you please tell me:
1. What time was your interview?
2. When did you pick up the passport?

We have an appointment on April 22nd (Friday) in Vancouver at 10am and are planning to return to Seattle before the 24th (Sunday). I'm wondering if we'll get our passports back at 3pm the same day. From the postings I've seen so far, that seems to be the case at Vancouver. But I've seen some postings about experiences at Toronto/Ottawa where people got their passports back only on the next day.

Has anyone had an experience at Vancouver where they got back the passport one or two days after the interview?

Thanks
Sam

proas999 said:
We drove to Vancouver from Seattle in a rental car. We also finished our Canadian PR landing formalities at the border.

For H1, H4 re-stamping at the US consulate in Vacouver, our experience was consistent with what others (who were not subject to administrative processing) had to say in this forum.

The visa officer asked for recent paystubs along with the usual documents - 156, 157, employment letter, and 797, that were already submitted at the cashier's counter where you pay the fees. The visa officer asked for my job duties. I felt that he sort of already knew about my job duties. The whole interview was around 2-3 minutes and we were done. Before the interview, at another counter in the same room, we were finger-printed.

I did have to pay the reciprocity fee even though I landed as a PR in Canada a day before, as the guy said that I have not lived in Canada. So, the morale of the story, carry extra cash when you go for stamping or landing or at the poe.

Coming back to the US: The wait time to enter the border was around 40 minutes. We did have to come out of our car and stand in line in the building. We did not have to fill out any form. The POE guy was decent and to the point. He printed out our new I94s with right dates on them and charged $12 for it. Again, carry extra cash. I was not prepared for it either.

On my background, I'm from India with a US degree and this was our second H1, H4 stamping.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------This experience is not a legal advice.

si123ca:

At Vancouver Consulate, most of the people get thier passport same day at 3:00 PM if they are not flagged for security check or clearance.

My interview was at 8:30 AM.
We picked up our passports at 3:00 PM, the same day.

I was the 10th applicant that day and all 9 applicants before me got their visas (8 H1s and 1 F1). All of them picked up their stamped passports the same day. I don't know about the guys who had appointment at 10 AM.

I hope it helps. Good luck!

si123ca said:
Could you please tell me:
1. What time was your interview?
2. When did you pick up the passport?

We have an appointment on April 22nd (Friday) in Vancouver at 10am and are planning to return to Seattle before the 24th (Sunday). I'm wondering if we'll get our passports back at 3pm the same day. From the postings I've seen so far, that seems to be the case at Vancouver. But I've seen some postings about experiences at Toronto/Ottawa where people got their passports back only on the next day.

Has anyone had an experience at Vancouver where they got back the passport one or two days after the interview?

Thanks
Sam

H1 Stamping at Calgary, Canada

Just want to share my experience in stamping my H1B visa at the us consulate in Calgary.

I actually had a previous H1 stamp from my home country and I extended my H1 for another 3 years.

First, I scheduled an appointment for interview via the internet then after receiving the appointment letter by mail I went to the Canadian Embassy to get a temporary resident visa which took half a day (New York).

I chose the 9:00 AM appointment last April 12, 2005. The interview was quick, I submitted all the requirements as mentioned in the appointment letter. I think it lasted for 5 minutes, he was concerned about my extension of B1 and asked for the extension papers. And as soon as a handed the paper he said that the visa is approved and asked me to come back at 3:00 in afternoon to get my passport. I was out of the us consulate by 9:38 AM and came back at 3:00 PM for my passport.

It was a smooth process and will definitely recommend Calgary for H1 Stamping.

mroncesvalles

Hi mroncesvalles,
Did u had any US degrees or all education from home country? also when did u got Calgary stamping done? (month / year).

thanks,
D S

mroncesvalles said:
Just want to share my experience in stamping my H1B visa at the us consulate in Calgary.

I actually had a previous H1 stamp from my home country and I extended my H1 for another 3 years.

First, I scheduled an appointment for interview via the internet then after receiving the appointment letter by mail I went to the Canadian Embassy to get a temporary resident visa which took half a day (New York).

I chose the 9:00 AM appointment last April 12, 2005. The interview was quick, I submitted all the requirements as mentioned in the appointment letter. I think it lasted for 5 minutes, he was concerned about my extension of B1 and asked for the extension papers. And as soon as a handed the paper he said that the visa is approved and asked me to come back at 3:00 in afternoon to get my passport. I was out of the us consulate by 9:38 AM and came back at 3:00 PM for my passport.

It was a smooth process and will definitely recommend Calgary for H1 Stamping.

KP_Pito said:
Hello All,

The postings here helped me a lot. If you take time and go through all the postings before you go to Toronto for stamping, you will do well. My wife and I went through 2 years of postings.

My experiences from Toronto trip for Canadian PR, H1 / H4 revalidation on Feb 23rd, 2005.

I have landed as an immigrant in Canada, applied for SIN, PR card and other formalities for Canadian Immigration, and got my H1-Revalidation and H4 –Revalidation for my wife and kids.

I have no friends or relatives in Toronto and I came to know about a service provide by http://www.sunnynewcomer.com/ website through my friends in US. They are extremely good at providing services like getting PR card, SIN card and other services. One could use their service with confidence. I gave their address as my local address. My friends are happy with them as well.

On Feb 23rd, I visited US consulate, my appointment is at 8:00 AM, and I went there at 7:35 AM and waited in the line. We carried an umbrella stroller, a sippy and some snacks for my kids. At 7:40 AM, security came and asked us to enter the premises. After security check (remember not to take any electronic devices) we entered into a waiting area. My son was making lot of noise and we tried to control but in vein, my advice is not to feel the pressure, as you have to answer lot of questions. If you are taking kids, don’t worry about kids not behaving well, everyone will try to understand.

My turn came:
Me: Good morning Officer
Assistant (I don’t know what she is): Good Morning, I am not an officer, give me your papers
Me: Silent, and I gave Scotia Bank Checks, 156,157, H1, H4, passports, and other stuff (Security Guard will advice you what to submit at the first window)
Assistant: When you last visited India
Me: I came in 19XX and never got a chance to visit India again
Assistant: How about your wife and kids?
Me: Same Officer
Assistant: Don’t call me an OFFICER.
Me; Sorry Mam.
Assistant: not even mam, just don’t address me with any thing:)

She asked me lot of questions, be prepared with major events (dates) regarding your old visa stampings and other major events, what is your status in Canada, when you came to US, when your wife and kids came to US, when you completed graduation, how many years left. She asked lot of questions and same to another gentle man a head of me. She asked me to wait in the waiting area.

I waited for my second call and this time a real officer paged my name, she is very nice and I was very comfortable talking to her. I addressed her as an officer and she asked couple of questions like what is your position with your company? Do you have the letter from your company? Finally, the officer asked me to give fingerprints. I am done in less than 3 minutes. Officer asked me to come next day to pickup the passports. We were out by 8:35 AM.

During waiting, I met a person from India who came for H1 Revalidation and his visa rejected because of his out-of-status for a month or so during his stay in US. They will track from one H1 to the other H1 and so please go there only if you have clean records. I would recommend going to Canada only if you have clean records otherwise your home country is the best option. Please do not go if you are 1) out-of-status for a certain period 2) going for the first time and you do not have a US degree 3) if you have any criminal records. I met another person from Pakistan and he was revalidated along with me without any problems as he has clean records and this is his second time to get revalidation from Toronto.

I think I have posted everything with my experience, I might not check this forum often, if you have questions please search this forum and I am sure you will find answers.

I’ve carried the below documents but they asked only 1 thru 10 documents:
1. DS-156
2. DS-157
3. Passport photo
4. I-797
5. I-129
6. copy of LCA
7. Passports
8. Scotia bank deposit slips - $100 – Both
9. Letter from current employer stating salary, position and duration
10. Canada Immigration temporary landing Form (Record of Landing – originals only), for PR they will give a temporary landing form otherwise IMM1000
11. Marriage certificate
12. Recent letters of employment
13. tax documents
14. Monthly bank statements
15. Degree certificates
16. 1 year Pay slips
17. W2 forms
18. Tax forms
19. All old H1 and H4
20. birth certificates

Need Advise

Friends,

Its been almost 12 weeks that I'm stuck in Toronto for background check. I am thinking of going to Pakistan and be with my family. My concern is if my approval comes while I'm in Pakistan , and I travel to Canada for stamping, they may ask for another background check because I travelled to Pakistan. Am I just over thinking or this could actully cause any problems?

Regards.

If I've a valid H1B without stamping and expired L1B am I out of status

I've been working in L1B since April 2002 with company A. I've decided to join Company B in May 2004 and Company B applied for my H1B. I'd to go to India in Aug 2004 and came back in Sep 2004 restamping L1B since I was still with Company A.

In Oct 2004 I got all approved H1B papers which were starting from July 2004. In Oct 2004 I quit Company A and joined Company B with their H1B altough I donot have stamped H1B.

My L1B got expired on April 1st 2005. My H1B is valid till Oct 2006. Am I out of status right now? If I'm out of status how to resolve this? Also if I'm not out of status how to stamp H1B - can I go to Canada to do the stamping?

Your status is determined by dates on I-94 card (issued by immigration at the border or that came with notice of action). Check the dates on your latest I-94 card to make sure you are in status.
this forum has a lot of posts that would help you with any queries regarding going to canada to get the stamping.
caterpiller said:
I've been working in L1B since April 2002 with company A. I've decided to join Company B in May 2004 and Company B applied for my H1B. I'd to go to India in Aug 2004 and came back in Sep 2004 restamping L1B since I was still with Company A.

In Oct 2004 I got all approved H1B papers which were starting from July 2004. In Oct 2004 I quit Company A and joined Company B with their H1B altough I donot have stamped H1B.

My L1B got expired on April 1st 2005. My H1B is valid till Oct 2006. Am I out of status right now? If I'm out of status how to resolve this? Also if I'm not out of status how to stamp H1B - can I go to Canada to do the stamping?

Urgent Advice please

Friends,
I have my appointment scheduled at Ottawa on June 1st. My old employer's visa (stamped on passport) is valid till Aug 16, 2005. I changed my employer last year sept and got new 797 valid from Sept 2004. Can I go to Canada for stamping on June 1st, even though my current pasport stamped H1 is valid till Aug 16, 2005?
Greatly appreciate your reply.

thanks,
D S

Passport

Hi

I just wanted to know when you received your passport back after stamping, did you get it on the same day or the next day?

I would really appreciate if you could reply. :)

Thanks

Mahesh
============================================
denredus said:
Interview Date : 04/14/05

Started from Upstate NY(I dont want to tell my exact location).

Took own car for the journey.

Note: if you are going thru Buffalo, YOU MUST go through Niagara falls(Dont blindly fallow the stupid Yahoo directions, as I did).

You NEED to have a Canadian visa, in order to go to Canada, unless you are a Canadian PR. Canadian PR is for 60$(single entry)

===========================================

Your suggestions needed

I have few questions, I would appreciate if you all could share your experience in H1B revalidation.

I am going to Canada as PR for the first time and in a week, I got an appoitment for H1B revalidation in Toronto Consulate.

1. Since I am going to land in Canada as a PR, a few days before the H1B revalidation, will there be any problem?

2. When will I get my passport back, I am planning to travel to India on Friday evening, whereas my appointment for H1B would be on that Monday. Will I be able to make it?

Thanks

xpress_man said:
I have few questions, I would appreciate if you all could share your experience in H1B revalidation.

I am going to Canada as PR for the first time and in a week, I got an appoitment for H1B revalidation in Toronto Consulate.

1. Since I am going to land in Canada as a PR, a few days before the H1B revalidation, will there be any problem?

No prob.

2. When will I get my passport back, I am planning to travel to India on Friday evening, whereas my appointment for H1B would be on that Monday. Will I be able to make it?

Next day at 3:30pm unless they need to bo background check.

Thanks