H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

indgc123 said:
Hi FBHATTI,

Could you please shed more light on it as to why the US consulate questions on her position?

Actually, my wife is currently working as a pharmacy intern for a big chain pharmacy store. According to the offer letter given by the employer, my wife need to complete internship and take license exam to become a full time employee as a Pharmacist. Currently, she get paid by hour.

Otherwise, can she go to the US Consulate in Chennai for stamping? We just want to make that we don't run into a risk of visa rejection at any consulate.

thanks
ind
Yes I have to agree with tusharvk, wait if you can until your wife becomes perm employee. If you cant wait and really have to go then make sure she gets the employment letter stating that she'll be offered a perm position after she finishes her pharmacy exams. Again I am not sure how would counselor reacts after finding out that she is not a full time employee. Its your call but I would suggest you to wait until she becomes perm.

Does officer view I-20 original copy when get H1B visa

I lost my original I-20 form. I only have copy. I came as F-1, get two degree, have two I-20 forms. Now I am on H1B. i lost my first original first I-20 form, only have copy. I never go back my country since 1999. Now I have reserve to get H1B visa on May 25 2005. I am just wondering, when the officer view your documents. Will they ask for original I-20? did anybody here only present copy and works fine?? is there risk to be rejected just because of this issue?

Also can anyone tell me where I can pay 100 dollor before interview in Toronto. I know we need pay to the bank. Since I arrive there in the night, is it possible for me to find the nearby bank to pay that fee. Did anyone tell me some information about the bank. my interview is 10:00am in the morning. I wish i have enough time to pay before go to Ambassy.

thanks
Angelene

Thanks for your suggestions, FBHATTI & tusharvk.

I will check with the corporate attorney about this.

Thanks again

ind

I think the copy of I-20 should be fine. for your peace of mind take a copy/original transcript. The transcript will show the semesters that you were enrolled in the university (thereby you can show that you were registered for every semester and you did not fall out of status). Transcript will show more info to the consulate than the I-20. So, don't worry. Take a transcript with you that will cover the period you were on I-20/student. When I was in a similar situation, I contacted the school I attended (international student office) for a letter which would state that I was continuously enrolled. The office suggested that I take a copy of the transcript instead as it gives all the required info. Hope it helps.

angelene said:
I lost my original I-20 form. I only have copy. I came as F-1, get two degree, have two I-20 forms. Now I am on H1B. i lost my first original first I-20 form, only have copy. I never go back my country since 1999. Now I have reserve to get H1B visa on May 25 2005. I am just wondering, when the officer view your documents. Will they ask for original I-20? did anybody here only present copy and works fine?? is there risk to be rejected just because of this issue?

Also can anyone tell me where I can pay 100 dollor before interview in Toronto. I know we need pay to the bank. Since I arrive there in the night, is it possible for me to find the nearby bank to pay that fee. Did anyone tell me some information about the bank. my interview is 10:00am in the morning. I wish i have enough time to pay before go to Ambassy.

thanks
Angelene

Toronto hotel and bank infor needed

Thanks ela6..very useful information. i can release a little.

I will apprecaite anyone can give some information about the hotel and bank nearby the Toronto embassy. which hotel is good and is the bank nearby? etc...

Angelene

ela6 said:
I think the copy of I-20 should be fine. for your peace of mind take a copy/original transcript. The transcript will show the semesters that you were enrolled in the university (thereby you can show that you were registered for every semester and you did not fall out of status). Transcript will show more info to the consulate than the I-20. So, don't worry. Take a transcript with you that will cover the period you were on I-20/student. When I was in a similar situation, I contacted the school I attended (international student office) for a letter which would state that I was continuously enrolled. The office suggested that I take a copy of the transcript instead as it gives all the required info. Hope it helps.

Urgent Help Please :Am I eligible ?

Gurus,
I joined company A in Aug 2002, have their H1 stamped on my passport till Aug 2005. In Sept 2004 I joined company B. Haven't yet got their H1 stamped on my passport. I've to make a trip to India in June, but Mumbai consulate already has past June and now has appointments only for Aug 2005 onwards. I was thinking of getting H1 stamped in Ottawa / Toronto itself. I have all the necessary documents for stamping, except my orignal Masters degree certificate (which is in India). All my education is only from India. I'm NOT a permanent resident of Canada.
Under this scenario am I still eligible to get stamping from Canada ? will it make any difference if I don't carry my orignal Masters certificate and carry a copy instead?
Please advice asap as I've to make decision fast...

Thank you in advance.

D S

You are eligible to apply there. Sometimes when the consulate has doubts about the genuiness of the degree, it helps to show the originals. In some cases, they doubt the existence of the company (people just create company on paper and send papers to relatives to get them in). So, if you can take documents (annual reports, tax filings of the company, etc) it will help you prove beyond doubt that the company exists.

There are 3 different issues that I know of:
1. Degree Genuineness
2. Does the company really exist?
3. Do you come from countries that are blacklisted based on terrorism OR if you belong to a field that is listed in TAL (Technology alert list - search in Google for details). If you fall in this category, they do a name check which will take 3 weeks to 2 months.

If you work for a big company the first 2 issues can vanish.. If there is a way that you can get the originals from India it will be helpful and most importantly give you peace of mind. Otherwise, you might still be o.k. Worst possible case, they will make their own enquiries regarding the authenticity of your degrees which might take some time.

Ela

DSLstart said:
Gurus,
I joined company A in Aug 2002, have their H1 stamped on my passport till Aug 2005. In Sept 2004 I joined company B. Haven't yet got their H1 stamped on my passport. I've to make a trip to India in June, but Mumbai consulate already has past June and now has appointments only for Aug 2005 onwards. I was thinking of getting H1 stamped in Ottawa / Toronto itself. I have all the necessary documents for stamping, except my orignal Masters degree certificate (which is in India). All my education is only from India. I'm NOT a permanent resident of Canada.
Under this scenario am I still eligible to get stamping from Canada ? will it make any difference if I don't carry my orignal Masters certificate and carry a copy instead?
Please advice asap as I've to make decision fast...

Thank you in advance.

D S

Ela6,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I would try my best to somehow get my certificate from India.
Just in worst of worst case if they refuse visa to me can I still re-enter the US on my current visa stamping and I-94 which is still valid till Aug 2005?

thanks in advance.

D S

ela6 said:
You are eligible to apply there. Sometimes when the consulate has doubts about the genuiness of the degree, it helps to show the originals. In some cases, they doubt the existence of the company (people just create company on paper and send papers to relatives to get them in). So, if you can take documents (annual reports, tax filings of the company, etc) it will help you prove beyond doubt that the company exists.

1. Degree Genuineness
3. Do you come from countries that are blacklisted based on terrorism OR if you belong to a field that is listed in TAL (Technology alert list - search in Google for details). If you fall in this category, they do a name check which will take 3 weeks to 2 months.

If you work for a big company the first 2 issues can vanish.. If there is a way that you can get the originals from India it will be helpful and most importantly give you peace of mind. Otherwise, you might still be o.k. Worst possible case, they will make their own enquiries regarding the authenticity of your degrees which might take some time.

Ela

DSLstart said:
Ela6,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I would try my best to somehow get my certificate from India.
Just in worst of worst case if they refuse visa to me can I still re-enter the US on my current visa stamping and I-94 which is still valid till Aug 2005?

thanks in advance.

D S

Nope , If you are refused visa stamping, you cannot enter USA on your present visa as that will be cancelled

ela6 said:

1. Degree Genuineness

Ela
In addition, it might not be a bad idea to carry the certificate that states that the degree is equivalent to master's degree from a US school. (you probably submitted its copy with your H1b petition).

angelene said:
Thanks ela6..very useful information. i can release a little.

I will apprecaite anyone can give some information about the hotel and bank nearby the Toronto embassy. which hotel is good and is the bank nearby? etc...

Angelene

usually it is a good idea to arrive a day before to pay fees (toronto consulate).
However, you can pay fees at any scotia bank branch. (if you are driving)
when you cross the border, find a scotia bank branch in that town and pay the fees if you can. else pay the fees next day at 8 am.

toronto stamping

hi i am planning to go for toronto consulate in june
i have worked in present company A for 5 yrs and have masters.

in dec 2004 i had applied for h1 thru COMPANY B
and h1 got approved but i never left company after that .
i do not have h1 papers for the company b which i applied in dec 2004
do u think consulate will ask H1 papers for company B , and also ask reason for applying company b.

Thanks
Rags

Revalidation in Montreal

I had the visa revalidation interview in Montreal today at 8 AM. They said, I could pick up my Passport at 3 PM today.

My security check

For information -
Pakistani, h1b, 1st time, US undergrad
Interviewed in toronto on 16th march - security check for popular name
called embassy on 30th - said not done yet
called DOS on 4th apr - said response sent on 30th
called embassy on 4th - said its cleared
went today (5th) - no questions asked, just gave me pickup receipt for tomorrow 3pm and said everything is ok.

not sure why embassy's system was not upto-date on 30th when i called or maybe DOS sent response at the end of the day. In any case embassy should have called next day but didnt. anyways not a big deal - its always a relief to be done.

A pakistani today got it w/o security check. infact i didnt see anyone today during the 30 min i was there who was put on sec check. avg interview time was 30 seconds.
its the computer which tells whether to do a check or not. if u have a common name you are bound to suffer.

H1B Stamping in Vancouver

Hello,

I am trying to apply for a h1 stamp in vancouver this May. I was wondering if it is safe to go to Canada and get the stamping done...my h1 history is as follows

*Currently on the 6th Year of H1.
*Got 2 H1 stamps in my passports for previous companies.
*First h1 visa was stamped in Vancouver.
*Second h1 visa was stamped in Mumbai.
*Last H1 stamp in passport (for Company A) expired a year back.
*Current h1 approval in hand from Company B.
*All relevant experience from US in addition to a MS from US.

Since Mumbai consulate is backed up till August, I need to make a decision whether it is safe to go to Vancover to get h1 stamped. In the event I do not get a stamping, I have to return to India where I will not be able to get an appointment for 3/4 months... :( Your inputs are appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you a canadian resident? Did you get stuck in Canada? thanks
hashraf said:
For information -
Pakistani, h1b, 1st time, US undergrad
Interviewed in toronto on 16th march - security check for popular name
called embassy on 30th - said not done yet
called DOS on 4th apr - said response sent on 30th
called embassy on 4th - said its cleared
went today (5th) - no questions asked, just gave me pickup receipt for tomorrow 3pm and said everything is ok.

not sure why embassy's system was not upto-date on 30th when i called or maybe DOS sent response at the end of the day. In any case embassy should have called next day but didnt. anyways not a big deal - its always a relief to be done.

A pakistani today got it w/o security check. infact i didnt see anyone today during the 30 min i was there who was put on sec check. avg interview time was 30 seconds.
its the computer which tells whether to do a check or not. if u have a common name you are bound to suffer.

Got my passport from Montreal consulate

Got my passport from the consulate. I am so relieved. But they did not cancel the old visa, which is expired anyway. Also, the expiry date is one year from today, although I have approval for 2 yrs.

Still waiting in toronto

Guys its been almost 9 weeks and I still haven't heard anything from the consulate in Toronto. According to consulate and DOS, case is "still pending".

I had lost my passport in 1996 with a valid F1 visa. I had to report this to Police in order for me to get a new passport. I got a new passport but meanwhile I found out that I had left my lost passport at a relatives place and I got it back. Since I could not carry 2 passports, I surrendered new passport to the passport office. Now on Ds157 I had said Yes to the question asking whether a person has a passport lost or stolen in past. Since there was no place for explanation, i wrote under the question that "it was found". I was thinking that VO would ask me about this and I'll explain it to her. But she never asked. Do you guys think this could be the cause of delay eventhough I did write that it was found.

Regards.

Question about H1 Stamping in Vancouver

Hello,

I am trying to apply for a h1 stamp in vancouver this May. I was wondering if it is safe to go to Canada and get the stamping done...my h1 history is as follows

*Currently on the 6th Year of H1.
*Got 2 H1 stamps in my passports for previous companies.
*First h1 visa was stamped in Vancouver.
*Second h1 visa was stamped in Mumbai.
*Last H1 stamp in passport (for Company A) expired a year back.
*Current h1 approval in hand from Company B.
*All relevant experience from US in addition to a MS from US.

Since Mumbai consulate is backed up till August, I need to make a decision whether it is safe to go to Vancover to get h1 stamped. In the event I do not get a stamping, I have to return to India where I will not be able to get an appointment for 3/4 months... Your inputs are appreciated.

Thanks!

Manishg

Do they mail / courier passport to address in the US or u've to be in Canada to receive it?
manishg_in said:
Got my passport from the consulate. I am so relieved. But they did not cancel the old visa, which is expired anyway. Also, the expiry date is one year from today, although I have approval for 2 yrs.