H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Struck in Vancouver

I am from India and I went to Vancouver consulate for mu H1-B1 stamping and they marked me for the security check because someone with a similar name has a police record. Could anyone please let me know how long it takes. As per US Consulate, it normally takes two weeks and they are going to call me after they are done with it.

Thank you very much!!!

vine95050 said:
Thanks for a detailed description of your experience. I had a question.
What is "fee receipts from scotia bank" for? Can you pay in cash - $100 USD plus the reciprocity fee at the consulate the same morning? Thanks

No you can not for Toronto consulate. $100 has to be paid to scotia bank and 50$ at the consulate after the officer instructs you.

Hi stamping

tusharvk said:
my passport is from India came on F1; status changed to H1b and went to toronto for my visa stamping. I have MS from US school. Here is my experience at the various points. I took the bus to enter canada and re-enter the US via Detroit-Windsor tunnel

Detroit canada visa stamping.
went to the consulate approx 8:15 am. They started accepting applications at around 8:25 am and asked me for the completed app form, my pay stub, approval notice, fee and two photographs and my passport. told me that the maximum visa validity will be through the exp date on my I797. so I paid fees for single entry visa. asked me to wait in the consulate. approx in 30 minutes got the visa.

Canada Port of entry
questions asked.
where did I live?what is the purpose of visit? Where I was headed? am I bringing more than CN$10K in cash or monetary instruments? how long I was staying in Canada?
stamped the passport with the entry date. did not ask for my i-94 card.

Consulate in Toronto
got there approx 7:30 am. there was a small queue; they started admitting people after security check. then we were asked to wait in another line before we were led to the counters. at this time they told us to get the following docs ready:
passport, ds156,157, I797, fee receipts from scotia bank, 1st page of appt letter
Then another line was formed in front of the counters. there were two clerks who started accepting applications. when called, I submitted the docs to the clerk who inspected them and asked me to enter my high school name on the ds157 form. was asked my status in canada. after that she told me to wait for my name to be called.
in another 30 minutes, I was called at another counter. the lady finger printed me. asked for letter from my employer. questions asked were:
Is this your first h1b application? what do you do for your company? what degree do you have from the US univ? handed me back my employer letter.
she told me that she was approving my h1b app and asked me to pay the reciprocity fee and bring the receipt to her. After I brought my rec fee receipt, she told me that my passport will be ready to be picked up between 3-4 pm next day. was out of the consulate approximately 8:45 am. there were a few people from India ahead of me for the h1b visa.
Next day, I went to the consulate at 2:30 pm and there was a small line. collected the passport. they stmaped my B1 visa "cancelled without prejudice" but had left my f1 visa unstamped.

Port of entry into US
there were 8 passengers in the bus when we left windsor to go to Detroit.
the post we went to was understaffed so staff members were multi-tasking.
at the first counter they asked what my nationality was; where I was headed; why I went to canada.
at the second counter asked me for my passport, 797, my i-94 card. asked why I went to canada. stamped my passport. stapled i-94 card and the employee's half to my passport and handed the petitioner's half back to me.
at the customs every piece of my baggage was inspected. was aksed for my purpose of visit to canada; how much cash I was bringing; how long I had stayed in canada.

So that was my experience; hope yours is better. The visa stamping process has been made streamlined. so as long as they allow TCNs to visit canada\mexico to do their visa stamping, people will make use of this.

My take aways from the exp:
-take all the documents
-do all the research regarding the visa process and learn from other people's experiences as much as you can
-be prepared to be questioned at the various points

Sorry but I did'nt grasp whether you got your h1b stamped? You were talking abot B1 or F1 or H1. Did you get your visa? If your visa was cancelled without prejudice how did you enter USA.? Please clarify?

GMC92 said:
Sorry but I did'nt grasp whether you got your h1b stamped? You were talking abot B1 or F1 or H1. Did you get your visa? If your visa was cancelled without prejudice how did you enter USA.? Please clarify?
yes I got my h1b stamped. when I collected my passport, I had three visas in my passport b1 (stamped "cancelled.....................prejudice"), f1 left unstamped and h1b.

H1 B Stamping in Canada Qestions

Hey Guys-

I need some advisce on H1 B stamping. I am planning to go to Canada in April for my first time stamping. Baically. I came on F1 and and now I have an H1B. My question is, has anyone done it recently and was it sucessful? Has any law changed that I can not go to canada for stamping and I should go to my home country? Please adviisce if I am missing something

Thanks
Raj

Documents needed for visa stamping

Hi,

I am working in US with H1B and my wife in H4. We both need to get the h1b stamping in canada.

Would you please help me by telling the list of documents (according to latest regulation) required for H1B-stamping in canada based on your experience.

Thank you so much.

Arun

Successful stamping in Calgary

Calgary is THE place to get your H1B stamp. The procedure was effortless, the wait time was minimal, it was a good experience.
The officer just aked me a few questions like -- How many employees in your company? What are your 3 main responsiblities and when did your company file your green card for you? The passport was ready that afternoon at 3 and I had a nice dinner at a cool hip restaurant called The Metropolitan Grill. I stayed at the Sandman Hotel Downtown and got to the consulate by taking the free C-train from outside the hotel to the consulate.
The only documents I submiited were my appointment letter, application form, approved Petition, letter of employment, I-129 apllication and passport.
Would recommend Calgary.

aonflux said:
Calgary is THE place to get your H1B stamp. The procedure was effortless, the wait time was minimal, it was a good experience.
The officer just aked me a few questions like -- How many employees in your company? What are your 3 main responsiblities and when did your company file your green card for you? The passport was ready that afternoon at 3 and I had a nice dinner at a cool hip restaurant called The Metropolitan Grill. I stayed at the Sandman Hotel Downtown and got to the consulate by taking the free C-train from outside the hotel to the consulate.
The only documents I submiited were my appointment letter, application form, approved Petition, letter of employment, I-129 apllication and passport.
Would recommend Calgary.

Thanks for sharing your experience aonflux. Seems to be calgary is the best place for H1B stamping.

Arun

LalaBihari said:
Hey Guys-

I need some advisce on H1 B stamping. I am planning to go to Canada in April for my first time stamping. Baically. I came on F1 and and now I have an H1B. My question is, has anyone done it recently and was it sucessful? Has any law changed that I can not go to canada for stamping and I should go to my home country? Please adviisce if I am missing something

Thanks
Raj

There is no rule change; I did it in toronto mid-feb. so did a lot of others; you may find their posts in this forum.

arun_gc_waiting said:
Hi,

I am working in US with H1B and my wife in H4. We both need to get the h1b stamping in canada.

Would you please help me by telling the list of documents (according to latest regulation) required for H1B-stamping in canada based on your experience.

Thank you so much.

Arun
google US consulates in canada and then search for NIV and you will find all the documents necessary. everyone's exp is different; so you should take everything that you think is relevent. good luck.

aonflux said:
Would recommend Calgary.

thanks for the post detailing the exp. your signature suggests you apped for GC using EB3 and EB1-EA? would you clarify?

Appointment...Etc.

I'm also on H1 with my wife on H4. H4 is valid till Nov 06. But the H1 stamped on my PP is valid till May 05. My 797 is valid till nov 2006. So I was planning to go to Canada to get the visa stamped in sometimes April 05.

I would appreciate if someone can answer these questions...

1) Is it okay to go to Canada for my H1 stamping (the last stamp on my PP was from Dept. of State) or to go to India to get the stamping? Going to India would be expensive though I have scheduled an appointment for April 05, just in case.

2) If I can go to Canada to get the stamping should I have to schedule any appointment with the Consulate there in Canada? If so...how can I do that?

3) My current stamp in my PP is valid till May 2005. Is it okay for me to get the stamp before the current stamp expires? If not then when can I go get a stamp after the current stamp expires?

4) Before going to Canada for stamping (if possible) should we have to get any visitor visa sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.

would appreciate if someone can answer these questions...

1) Is it okay to go to Canada for my H1 stamping (the last stamp on my PP was from Dept. of State) or to go to India to get the stamping? Going to India would be expensive though I have scheduled an appointment for April 05, just in case.

-- Canada is convenient but if you get stuck due to security clearance etc. it could be a headache.

2) If I can go to Canada to get the stamping should I have to schedule any appointment with the Consulate there in Canada? If so...how can I do that?

-- www.nvars.com to get appt in US consulate

3) My current stamp in my PP is valid till May 2005. Is it okay for me to get the stamp before the current stamp expires? If not then when can I go get a stamp after the current stamp expires?

-- anytime it is convenient to you

4) Before going to Canada for stamping (if possible) should we have to get any visitor visa sort of thing?

- cdn visitor visa

please note the dates on your i-797A. You can go anytime 10 days before the expiry date (old 797) or 10 days after the start date (new one).

Thanks!!!

bhand11683 said:
would appreciate if someone can answer these questions...

-- Canada is convenient but if you get stuck due to security clearance etc. it could be a headache.

-- www.nvars.com to get appt in US consulate

- cdn visitor visa

Thank you bhand11683 for answering my queries. I really appreciate your response. People like you make this portal more useful.

Thanks again.

Thanks tusharvk!!!

tusharvk said:

please note the dates on your i-797A. You can go anytime 10 days before the expiry date (old 797) or 10 days after the start date (new one).

Thanks tusharvk for the clarification. Much appreciated. Thanks again.

tusharvk said:
google US consulates in canada and then search for NIV and you will find all the documents necessary. everyone's exp is different; so you should take everything that you think is relevent. good luck.

Thanks a lot tusharvk.

Arun

Urgent ... Please Advise

Hi,

I am planning for H1 and H4 (myself and my wife) revalidation in Montreal/Ottawa. My visa expired on May 1st 2004.
Can we revalidate at a candian consulate, considering the time since my visa expired is nearly 10 months.
I plan to drive to the consulate. Do I have to surrender my I-94? if so, what I-94 do I have to give? The white one stapled to the passport or the I-94 that comes with I-797 notice?

I don't have a US degree. I read from this forum a successful H1 revalidation with no US degree. Please let me know if I can get my H1 revalidated with an Indian degree. Do I need to get my degree evaluated to a US equivalent degree
I plan to go from NJ. Please let me know which consulate is better , MOntreal or Ottawa?
My son is a US passport holder, does he need to get a canadian visitor visa to travel to canada?

Also how many paystubs should I carry?

Thank you in advance
kb_gc

U can take your chances

Mr Kb_gc,
I am not sure about Motreal but i went to US Embassy in Ottawa on Jan 10th 2005 and ever since i am waiting on security clearance. Your son doesnt need canadian if he is US citizen.

Regards

kb_gc said:
Hi,

I am planning for H1 and H4 (myself and my wife) revalidation in Montreal/Ottawa. My visa expired on May 1st 2004.
Can we revalidate at a candian consulate, considering the time since my visa expired is nearly 10 months.
I plan to drive to the consulate. Do I have to surrender my I-94? if so, what I-94 do I have to give? The white one stapled to the passport or the I-94 that comes with I-797 notice?

I don't have a US degree. I read from this forum a successful H1 revalidation with no US degree. Please let me know if I can get my H1 revalidated with an Indian degree. Do I need to get my degree evaluated to a US equivalent degree
I plan to go from NJ. Please let me know which consulate is better , MOntreal or Ottawa?
My son is a US passport holder, does he need to get a canadian visitor visa to travel to canada?

Also how many paystubs should I carry?

Thank you in advance
kb_gc
The fact that visa is expired should not cause problem (that is why you are going to get the new stamp). I have posted my exp on this forum; I did not need to surrender my I94 card.
You should get your degree evaluated to US equivalent (in fact was this not done when your employer petitioned for h1b?)
I read somewhere that for h1b you do not have to convince the consular that you are a potential immigrant. so your son's US citizenship should not be an issue (he does not need visa to go to canada).
You may take all the paystubs that you have.