H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Stuck in Vancouver

No they did not contact me over the phone, infact before leaving US i called the $1.25 LINE to recomfirm my appointment and if their is anything I should know of.

The only thing they've handed me a document which says your visa application needs further Administrative proceesing. I dont know what that means. And that they will contact me once ther are ready to give a decision.

Purab2000,

You should probably apply for extension of stay in Canada. Go to the website of the Canadian embassy. You could download the application form for extension of status/visit. Explain the reason why you're requesting an extension of stay in Canada.

Personally, I would not go back to India. You might have problems getting another Canadian Visa. Also, you could request the US Embassy in Canada to just send you the passport with the visa to India if you decide to go back to India. Just provide them with a prepaid envelope. This way you don't need to go back to Canada. You could stay in India while waiting for the Us embassy to send you visa post mail your visa.

tusahrvk,

1. No need for DS-158. This is only needed for F1 and J1 visa stamps.
2. I would try to get all the employment letters. But, what is required by the embassy is your current employer's letter. I would not worry if you're not able to get your past employer's letter since this is not really required.

Pardon me, I don't mean to be rude. I am curious to know why you are stuck in Canada. Do you have a valid I-94? I thougt people were still able to get back when their application is pending (based on my own experience). Please clarify
thanks

jeel said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess most of the Pakistani's get stuck in Canada when they come for their H1 stamping. I had and interview on Feb7th 2005. The officer said my case needs special handling....didnt say how much time it would take......any one who knows what this means and ....if someone could share their updates that would be great....Thanks

Sorry to hear that..

I'm sorry to hear that you're stucked in Vancouver. Hm.. this worries me a bit since I'm going to Vancouver in early March for the same purpose (and I'm from one of the SR countries as well).

Did the consulate at least return your passport (or are they keeping it)?

Mistake in H1 Approval Notice (I-797)

Hi,

I have a visa appointment at the Ottawa consulate this Friday. But I just discovered a mistake in my H1 approval notice (I-797) My Country of birth is printed as India, but it is actually Bangladesh (No idea how the lawyer messed this up and the BCIS approved it!) So, I'm wondering what I should do now. Should I still go for my visa appointment ? Does anyone have any similar experience ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I am just telling you my opinion (no validity). If your passport is from Bangladesh and your H1 says India, I doubt they will stamp it as it has a factual error. If you postpone your appointment, potentially you would lose couple of hundred dollars. But that is far better than facing the unknown consequences of this error. I would contact the lawyer and see how it can be fixed and then proceed for the visa (unless there is some dire situation in which case you can take a chance). I am just going by logic. thanks
ela
gt1507a said:
Hi,

I have a visa appointment at the Ottawa consulate this Friday. But I just discovered a mistake in my H1 approval notice (I-797) My Country of birth is printed as India, but it is actually Bangladesh (No idea how the lawyer messed this up and the BCIS approved it!) So, I'm wondering what I should do now. Should I still go for my visa appointment ? Does anyone have any similar experience ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

People from SR countries

Hey guys .....those from SR countries and are going to some country other than their home country for their H1-1 visa kindly read this article. There's a 90 percent chance you will flagged for security clearance which could take from two weeks to 4 months....I know of many cases...........

http://www.gtlaw.com/practices/immigration/newsletter/archives/017/item07.htm

You can enter back into the US with a valid I-94 irrespective of the fact you have a visa or not. But if you have hd applied for a visa you cannot enter the US until you have a valid visa...So means you can travel to Canada and Mexico. ....and return within 30 days on a Valid 1-94....But for those who have applied a visa ......ONLY VISA CAN BRING YOU BACK DUDES......there's is no system of prepid envelopes in US consulates....I wish their was.......

If you apply for the visa and they flag you for a security check, you can still enter U.S. as long as you have a valid I-94 and old expired visa (not cancelled). I am not sure what happens if you have a valid I-94 and a "cancelled without prejudice" visa. So, for the folks who have a stamped visa (even if it had expired) and valid I-94, entering back to U.S. will not be a problem (I am stating this based on mine and several other people's experience at the Tijuana/San Diego border post). thanks
ela

jeel said:
Hey guys .....those from SR countries and are going to some country other than their home country for their H1-1 visa kindly read this article. There's a 90 percent chance you will flagged for security clearance which could take from two weeks to 4 months....I know of many cases...........

http://www.gtlaw.com/practices/immigration/newsletter/archives/017/item07.htm

You can enter back into the US with a valid I-94 irrespective of the fact you have a visa or not. But if you have hd applied for a visa you cannot enter the US until you have a valid visa...So means you can travel to Canada and Mexico. ....and return within 30 days on a Valid 1-94....But for those who have applied a visa ......ONLY VISA CAN BRING YOU BACK DUDES......there's is no system of prepid envelopes in US consulates....I wish their was.......

Hi All,

After landing, I want to do revalidation also for me and for my wife who is a dependent.

(1) Should I get two separate appointments, one for me and one for my wife ?

(2) The visa application package includes the visa application forms, an information sheet, and a pre-coded deposit slip for the non-refundable USD$100 processing fee. The fee must be paid at any branch of the Bank of Nova Scotia (ScotiaBank) located in the province of Ontario before coming to the Consulate.

I saw this (2) point in toronto US consulate website. Is this applicable to other US consulates also in Canada to deposit $100 in scotia bank ?

I really appreciate your help in this.

Thanks
Arun

ela6 said:
Pardon me, I don't mean to be rude. I am curious to know why you are stuck in Canada. Do you have a valid I-94? I thougt people were still able to get back when their application is pending (based on my own experience). Please clarify
thanks

I think lot of people from SR countries have posted their experiences on this website. It seems that they could go to mexico and come back after submitting application if they have valid i-94. Please check this forum for those emails.

Passport can not be mailed across international borders (only mailing within country is possible).

1. You need to get 2 appts (one for you and one for your wife).
2. Bank name will differ depending up whether you are going to Canada, Mexico, etc. You will need to pay $100 to the bank. Only difference is in the name of the local bank. Once you make an appointment, you will receive a package and it will have the details (pay careful attention to the details in the package).

arun_gc_waiting said:
Hi All,

After landing, I want to do revalidation also for me and for my wife who is a dependent.

(1) Should I get two separate appointments, one for me and one for my wife ?

(2) The visa application package includes the visa application forms, an information sheet, and a pre-coded deposit slip for the non-refundable USD$100 processing fee. The fee must be paid at any branch of the Bank of Nova Scotia (ScotiaBank) located in the province of Ontario before coming to the Consulate.

I saw this (2) point in toronto US consulate website. Is this applicable to other US consulates also in Canada to deposit $100 in scotia bank ?

I really appreciate your help in this.

Thanks
Arun

Please do reply with help / answers

I have read this thread pretty much completely and I am sort of confused now. I would like my brother to come back home with me to Pakistan for my wedding.

My brother is from Pakistan, he came here on an F1 Visa, completed his 4 year undergrauate degree here is the US and got a job in the IT field. He has got his H1 approval letter with a valid I-94 until 2007.

1) Should we risk going to Canada for his first H1 Visa stamping?

2) If we do go and God forbid he is put on a security hold, or rejected, am I correct in assuming he will not be allowed back into the US?

3) Is there any other way, other than trying in Pakistan, to get his Visa stamped?

I would love for him to attend my wedding at home but not at the risk of ruining his future.

Please help with any suggestion or answers.

Thanks in advance to all

Visa Fee

I have appointment at Vancouver consulate. Do I have to deposit money in scotia bank? As far as I know I have to take US $100.00 cash for the fee.

please clarify.

Thanks

name check

what is name check? what are the instances in which one will be subjected to name check during visa stamping at consulate in a country other than their home country?

Thanks.

Yankees, you will mess up your brother

You are right in your research. why not try to get the visa in Pakistan? Canada is still too risky. You are right.

Thanks

You're right. I'm not going to ask him to risk it. A couple of other friends of mine gave me the same advice.

Thanks again

Ds156

Once you fill an online DS156 form, how many pages does it generate?
how many pages of those have barcode on them?

Thanks for response.

ela6 said:
1. You need to get 2 appts (one for you and one for your wife).
2. Bank name will differ depending up whether you are going to Canada, Mexico, etc. You will need to pay $100 to the bank. Only difference is in the name of the local bank. Once you make an appointment, you will receive a package and it will have the details (pay careful attention to the details in the package).

Thank you so much ela6.

Arun

h1b or h1b1

the notice of action from INS says h1b1 as the classification. But when looking at the online version of the ds156 form, under types of visa it indicates that h1b is for distinguished workers and h1b1 is for free trade agreement nonimmigrant workers.

Is this an error in the form ds156 online? When I checked the website state.gov and went to the visa categories, it has no mention of h1b visa; but has classifications such as h1b1 and so on.