H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

30 Day Revalidation Rule

I called up US Immigration at Vancouver International Airport, person I talked to told me that I could go back to US as long as I have original or copy of H1-B1 approval notice. Then I called Blaine Border Crossing (Vancouver to WA), they told me that I can't go back to US if I don't have a valid visa on my passport. Can someone clarify which one is true?

Thanks

canada_1111 said:
I called up US Immigration at Vancouver International Airport, person I talked to told me that I could go back to US as long as I have original or copy of H1-B1 approval notice. Then I called Blaine Border Crossing (Vancouver to WA), they told me that I can't go back to US if I don't have a valid visa on my passport. Can someone clarify which one is true?

Thanks
Canada_1111,
Somewhere in my old messages i stated that people at the border do not like cancelled with predujice stamp, and also beware that these people are not equally aware or educated about all immigration laws. You can take your chances. I know forsure that 30 day revalidation rule does apply if you do not have cancelled stamp on your passport. There are people who managed to enter US with cancelled stamp even after 30 days.

fbhatti:

I don't have any cancelled stamp on my passport. This was my first H1-B visa. I have an expired F1 visa in my old passport, which Vancouver consulate did not even bother to cancel it because they returned my old passport when I submitted my application and other documents before interview with the immigration officer. I mean they returned my old passport when they gave me visa appointment number.

1. Does they stamp anything at border if they don't let you in that will go negative on your record in future?
2. Do I have to tell them that I applied for visa at US consulate? I don't have original H1-B1 approval notice. I have a copy of it.

Thanks

fbhatti:

Did you hear anything from toronto consulate. Its been like 6 or 7 weeks for you. right?? What country are you from if you don't mind. How many weeks they told you at the time of interview.

Thanks

canada_1111 said:
fbhatti:

Did you hear anything from toronto consulate. Its been like 6 or 7 weeks for you. right?? What country are you from if you don't mind. How many weeks they told you at the time of interview.

Thanks
I went to US Embassy in Ottawa and waiting in Toronto. On 10th March it would be 2 months. I am from Pakistan. They are still doing my background check and thats all i know so far.

canada_1111 said:
fbhatti:

I don't have any cancelled stamp on my passport. This was my first H1-B visa. I have an expired F1 visa in my old passport, which Vancouver consulate did not even bother to cancel it because they returned my old passport when I submitted my application and other documents before interview with the immigration officer. I mean they returned my old passport when they gave me visa appointment number.

1. Does they stamp anything at border if they don't let you in that will go negative on your record in future?
2. Do I have to tell them that I applied for visa at US consulate? I don't have original H1-B1 approval notice. I have a copy of it.

Thanks
The good thing about your situation is that you dont have cancelled stamp on your passport but the only concerned thing is that u dont have your original h1 approval notice. My advice take your chances before u reach 30 day time period. Tell them at the border that consulate people have your h1 approval notice. They can check from their system and find out when did u actually left states.
No they did not stamp anything on my passport when sent me back to canada BUT try just once , in case they dont let u in , dont try your luck from other border posts that can go against you.

DS-156 related question!

Dear guys,

what address you guys listed on item 15 (on the DS-156) since item 24 should be where someone will stay in the US?

and on item 29! should I mention the last time I enetered the US OR the most recent one?

Thanks

Early revalidation?

Friends,

I have a valid stamp till Jun 2005 and a new I-797 till Oct 2006, from my new employer. Can I go to Canada and get it revalidated in Apr/May 2005? If yes, then if the US embassy in Canada had a query/question/Security check/name check etc about issuing me a new Visa, Would I be allowed to come back and wait in the US?

RamaKrishna74:

I was in US for last 5 years so I wrote my US address at all the places.

I am not sure about 29, In mu case I never went out of US so I had only one date of entry

Ramakrishan,

I wrote the last date of entry but I remember at the first window I went to submit my passport and application, the lady asked me if the date I wrote was my first or last entry into US. I told her it's last and she crossed it out and asked the date of my first entry into US. Hope this helps.

Regards.

30 Day Revalidation

Guys:

Is there any official site where I can get a printout of the "30 Day Revalidation" rule? I would appreciate if you post the link you know of.

Thanks

Confused Pakistani

Hello folks,

I am a student from pakistan in US since Fall 1999. My F1 (5 years multiple entry) is now expired. I am very close to finishing my MS now after completing my BS from US as well. I am looking for jobs now, and hope to find one with H1b sponsorship.

My question is, if I get H1b, and want to visit Pakistan, do I need to get it stamped ONLY from pakistan, or I can get it stamped from Canada as well ?

I don't have Canadian Parmanent Immigration yet, but if I do, would it help my chances for getting H1b stamped from Canada, being a canadian resident ?

Can I apply for H1b stamp from Canada without Canadian PR ?

Do I need to get the H1b stamped everytime I visit Pakistan ?

I have been following the discussions in the forum, and am VERY thankful to you all helping eachother out. I hope to get the same treatment from you good people :)

Thanks..

syedhaid said:
Hello folks,

I am a student from pakistan in US since Fall 1999. My F1 (5 years multiple entry) is now expired. I am very close to finishing my MS now after completing my BS from US as well. I am looking for jobs now, and hope to find one with H1b sponsorship.

My question is, if I get H1b, and want to visit Pakistan, do I need to get it stamped ONLY from pakistan, or I can get it stamped from Canada as well ?

I don't have Canadian Parmanent Immigration yet, but if I do, would it help my chances for getting H1b stamped from Canada, being a canadian resident ?

Can I apply for H1b stamp from Canada without Canadian PR ?

Do I need to get the H1b stamped everytime I visit Pakistan ?

I have been following the discussions in the forum, and am VERY thankful to you all helping eachother out. I hope to get the same treatment from you good people :)

Thanks..
1) You can take an appointment from any US Consulate in Canada but in case(God forbid) they put u on security clearance check ,then u have to go to Pakistan, because i assume you'll be coming to canada on visit visa.

2) Canadian residents donot get any edge over security clearance process, being a canadian resident i am myself waiting for over 2 months now.

3) I didnt understand what u meant by "Do I need to get the H1b stamped everytime I visit Pakistan ?" usually the validiity of h1b visa is till your h1 expires and its for multiple entries so no you dont need to get h1b stamped everytime u visit pakistan.

My advice if this is your first time going from f1 to h1 , then try getting it stamped from pakistan, so in case if u r stuck because of security clearacnce atleast you'll be with your family.

Regards

I also read or heard from someone that consulates in canada wont give you visa appointments unless you are canadian resident, I think its not true. You can take appointments in canada BUT what would u do if u have to wait until they are done with security clearance, ?? either you have to extend your canadian visit visa or leave canada..in other words you'll end up going to your home country...so its better to apply from your native country if u r not a perm resident of canada...

Thank you fbhatti

yarr, thanx alot for your quick responce. hmm, so I guess I don't need to apply for canadian immigration, since I do not plan to live in Canada. I only wanted to get it so I can get my H1b stamped from canada, rather than Pakistan.

The reason why I dont want to go to Pakistan is because I am scared, If they make me wait for too long, like 3 months.. I might lose my job that got me the H1b, which would mean, no coming back! This happened to someone I know recently.

Also, if I get delayed for security clearence in Canada, I should be ok, since visit visas are for upto 6 months, I think!

Any thoughts, or Ideas about that ?

Thanx again man for your help :)

syedhaid said:
yarr, thanx alot for your quick responce. hmm, so I guess I don't need to apply for canadian immigration, since I do not plan to live in Canada. I only wanted to get it so I can get my H1b stamped from canada, rather than Pakistan.

The reason why I dont want to go to Pakistan is because I am scared, If they make me wait for too long, like 3 months.. I might lose my job that got me the H1b, which would mean, no coming back! This happened to someone I know recently.

Also, if I get delayed for security clearence in Canada, I should be ok, since visit visas are for upto 6 months, I think!

Any thoughts, or Ideas about that ?

Thanx again man for your help :)
Your welcome!
Most of the people who apply and get the canadian immigration is not for applying h1 visa from canada, the main reason for getting the residency is to have a backup alternative. And its not like you can get canadian residency in couple of weeks it takes somewhere between 15-18 months. SO do not rule out the idea for appying the canadian immigration.
The only reason i asked you to go to Pakistan is mainly because of expenses. If you can afford to live in canada for for 3-4 months then its fine or even better if you have some relatives.
Tell me something!!! why are you soo eager to get your passport stamped for h1 visa. Why dont you finish your school, find a sponsor, get h1 , work for a year or so then take all these chances, ofcourse i am not fully aware of your situation but it was just a thought....
If you wanna share something that u cant post here, shoot me an email on fbhati@aol.com
Regards

H1 Stamp in 40 days from Ottawa

I would like to share my H1 and my wife’s H4 visa stamp experience in Canada.

My background: Canadian Permanent resident, Pakistan Citizen, MS degree from USA, second H1 Stamp, first I got from Islamabad around 1.5 years ago.

I had an appointment in Ottawa on Jan 31, 2005 at 9:30 AM. The visa officer was very nice and told me that my case has no problems but due to some name matching with their database, they have to send my case to Washington for clearance. Initially, I was told around 2 weeks, but after two weeks they told me that it can take up to 5 weeks.

After 40 days of long wait, I received a call from US consulate that my visa is ready and I can come any time. I drove to Ottawa right away and got the stamp. For those who are planning to get the visa from Canada, please plan accordingly. Good luck to those who still waiting there. If someone needs more details, email me at msriaz@yahoo.com.

All this time I stayed in a hotel and had a rental car. I spend a lot of money on this trip. But I am home now... Good Luck to all

RE: fbhatti

Again, thanx alot for your quick responce. Well, I guess my doubts are pretty clear now. I dont really want to apply for h1 stamp ASAP (I dont even have h1!). I guess, I was only freakin out, and wanted to plan ahead. I am graduating this may, and have a few offers that I am deciding between. I guess I'm going to apply for Canadian PR, and wait for it come before going there for stamping. One more question.. do companies usually let their employee go for up to three monts while they get their visa stamped ? does the employee has to stay on pay roll during that time ? if you lose your job while in canada waiting for the stamp, can you enter back in US once you get the stamp ?

Thanx fbhatti for your email address. I just wanted to keep the discussion public, so it can provide help to others in the same situation.

syedhaid said:
Again, thanx alot for your quick responce. Well, I guess my doubts are pretty clear now. I dont really want to apply for h1 stamp ASAP (I dont even have h1!). I guess, I was only freakin out, and wanted to plan ahead. I am graduating this may, and have a few offers that I am deciding between. I guess I'm going to apply for Canadian PR, and wait for it come before going there for stamping. One more question.. do companies usually let their employee go for up to three monts while they get their visa stamped ? does the employee has to stay on pay roll during that time ? if you lose your job while in canada waiting for the stamp, can you enter back in US once you get the stamp ?

Thanx fbhatti for your email address. I just wanted to keep the discussion public, so it can provide help to others in the same situation.

It depends on the company you are working for, I know some guys who came to Canada and had to wait for sometime to get security clearance, during all that time company paid all their expenses but again it all depends on your company. About payroll, technically speaking yes, employee has to be on payroll during all that waiting period. About losing job and rentry in US , I am not quite sure about that...
It's always good to consult a professional immigration attorney.

fbhatti said:
1) You can take an appointment from any US Consulate in Canada but in case(God forbid) they put u on security clearance check ,then u have to go to Pakistan, because i assume you'll be coming to canada on visit visa.

2) Canadian residents donot get any edge over security clearance process, being a canadian resident i am myself waiting for over 2 months now.

3) I didnt understand what u meant by "Do I need to get the H1b stamped everytime I visit Pakistan ?" usually the validiity of h1b visa is till your h1 expires and its for multiple entries so no you dont need to get h1b stamped everytime u visit pakistan.

My advice if this is your first time going from f1 to h1 , then try getting it stamped from pakistan, so in case if u r stuck because of security clearacnce atleast you'll be with your family.

Regards

I knowthat some of friends from Pakistan got h1b stamped right away from Canada, So I am not sure what is their criteria to put you on security clearance?

Fbhati, if you don't mind, can you share your experience with us, did you show them FBI fingerprinting?

Do you think that FBI fingerprinting helps if you show this to Immigration officer?

I also got Canadian Resident Visa and now I am planning to land in Cananda as well as get h1b stamped.