H1 Visa Revalidation Experiences - Mumbai Consulate

GAPDJuly062004 said:
If you already have a H-1 B stamp on your passport and you travel to India to renew your H-1 (Stamped H-1 expired and new I-797 issued), then you are eligible for the Emergency Appointment.

VFS has mentioned this on their website as well. Click on the "Estimated Time for Visa Appointment" link and then click on Emergency Appointment.

Thanks for the clarification GAPD. However, what I found is the emergency option is useless as the dates for emergency appointment and regular appointments almost run parallel. What a joke this whole thing is.

Visa Revalidation

Hi Guys,

Is it true that If I don't have visa stamped on my passport and my wife alone is going for visa re-validation. They can reject on the basis that primary's applicant passport is not stamped.

Thanks,

isingh786 said:
Hi Guys,

Is it true that If I don't have visa stamped on my passport and my wife alone is going for visa re-validation. They can reject on the basis that primary's applicant passport is not stamped.

Thanks,

no its not true. people have done this

dhm2002

clzeus10 said:
Thanks for the clarification GAPD. However, what I found is the emergency option is useless as the dates for emergency appointment and regular appointments almost run parallel. What a joke this whole thing is.

actually thats not true all the time. if you check the website very often, practically every hour you will get emergency appt. very close. many times it is too close like the same month or next month.

dhm2002

Thanks dhm2002, Please see this post

Thanks for the quick and positive reply!!!

I also know this that lot of people have done this, But maybe this has changed lately....

Please go through the following post:

Robby

I was in the same situation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in the same situation and my wife went to India so she had to get her visa stamped.she got the stamping with out any issues with my(H1) passport with out stamped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clzeus10
Do you know if your friend was on a 7th year H1 or was within the 6 year H1 limit.

I just looked it up and it does say under the required documentation that a Photocopy of the Principal Applicant’s valid visa (if applying separately). is required.

This is interesting because in essence they are now taking a position that a spouse on H4 cannot get his/her passport stamped if the the principal applicant's passport does not have a valid visa stamp. This is more bad news.

Thanks for the information though as I was actually planning a similar move as wife was suppose to travel to India a couple of months before me and thought she could get this over with before I get there, but it seems like it would not be possible anymore.

isingh786 said:
Thanks for the quick and positive reply!!!

I also know this that lot of people have done this, But maybe this has changed lately....

Please go through the following post:

Robby

I was in the same situation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in the same situation and my wife went to India so she had to get her visa stamped.she got the stamping with out any issues with my(H1) passport with out stamped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clzeus10
Do you know if your friend was on a 7th year H1 or was within the 6 year H1 limit.

I just looked it up and it does say under the required documentation that a Photocopy of the Principal Applicant’s valid visa (if applying separately). is required.

This is interesting because in essence they are now taking a position that a spouse on H4 cannot get his/her passport stamped if the the principal applicant's passport does not have a valid visa stamp. This is more bad news.

Thanks for the information though as I was actually planning a similar move as wife was suppose to travel to India a couple of months before me and thought she could get this over with before I get there, but it seems like it would not be possible anymore.

hmm.. I did not know about this. I wonder if they go on case by case basis even if this rule is in place. As long as principle applicant is in US with valid I 94 he is in status, on what basis they can reject? principle applicant may not leave US during the entire duration of his new H1 what then?
if this is true its one more hassle for people in long line of hassles what with security checks and administartive processing etc.

anyway me and my family are all going together.

dhm2002

Visa Revalidation

Yes DHM2002, It looks like that they have created another obstacle in our way.

I was going through the requirements for Visa Stamping...Does any body know what is blank petition?

For applicant applying with a blanket petition, a demand draft for Rs 24,000/- favouring “US Embassy, New Delhi” or “American Consulate General, Mumbai (or Chennai or Kolkata)” as applicable. DDs drawn on co-operative banks are not accepted.

Thanks,

isingh786 said:
Yes DHM2002, It looks like that they have created another obstacle in our way.

I was going through the requirements for Visa Stamping...Does any body know what is blank petition?

For applicant applying with a blanket petition, a demand draft for Rs 24,000/- favouring “US Embassy, New Delhi” or “American Consulate General, Mumbai (or Chennai or Kolkata)” as applicable. DDs drawn on co-operative banks are not accepted.

Thanks,

Is it mentioned any where in VFS website? I have the same situation and my wife is planning to go to india and not me, I checked with my attorney and got response that no issues even spouse visa in the passport expired but has valid I-797 approval.

Any one recently had H4 visa stamped with expired visa in spouse's passport?a

Ciril99..please confirm

Is it mentioned any where in VFS website? I have the same situation and my wife is planning to go to india and not me, I checked with my attorney and got response that no issues even spouse visa in the passport expired but has valid I-797 approval.

Any one recently had H4 visa stamped with expired visa in spouse's passport?a

Hi Ciril99,

When is your wife leaving for India and which consulate is she planning to go?

I also have my wife going alone next year (delhi consulate) so if you can please update us about the status, we can plan it out accordingly...

I wish you and your family best of luck and I hope the stamping process should go fairly smooth.

Thanks,

Did anyone try to check for appointment dates in Mumbai today? I am looking at it and there is not a single date available starting from December 06 to all the way up to July 2007, WTF??

Is this for real? I had checked just a few days ago and lots of dates were available for Feb and March, I don't think they are all used up so soon and that too until July?

Anyone have more details?

H4 Visa Stamping

I just wanted to share this info, as I am in a same boat as others for my wife's H4 stamping. I order to get clear answer i sent a following e-mail to Delhi Consulate

Dear Sir/Madam,

I need help in my case. My wife is going to India and will need her H4 visa stamping. The current visa stamped on my passport has expired and I have new visa approval notice.

Please tell me if I have to have valid visa stamp on my passport for her h4 visa stamping?

Thanks in advance for reading this and helping me.

-----

And I got following reply

Dear Mr. ABC,

As the visa is expired you need to get a fresh visa restamping then you could apply for wife as well.

For further clarifications please feel free to call us at 011-42220000 or write in to infodelhi@vfs-usa.co.in

Regards
US Visa Helpdesk

----- Now I am very confused.

Just wanted to share this with you all.

Thanks

bplboy said:
I just wanted to share this info, as I am in a same boat as others for my wife's H4 stamping. I order to get clear answer i sent a following e-mail to Delhi Consulate

Dear Sir/Madam,

I need help in my case. My wife is going to India and will need her H4 visa stamping. The current visa stamped on my passport has expired and I have new visa approval notice.

Please tell me if I have to have valid visa stamp on my passport for her h4 visa stamping?

Thanks in advance for reading this and helping me.

-----

And I got following reply

Dear Mr. ABC,

As the visa is expired you need to get a fresh visa restamping then you could apply for wife as well.

For further clarifications please feel free to call us at 011-42220000 or write in to infodelhi@vfs-usa.co.in

Regards
US Visa Helpdesk

----- Now I am very confused.

Just wanted to share this with you all.

Thanks

I also sent an email and got this reply,

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Kindly note that it is recommended that the spouse and dependent children go for their visa interview at the same time as the principal applicant

Thanking you

Regards,
VFS Team

I am confused, what if the primary application can't make the trip due to vacation issues.

Has any one recently got H-4 visa approved with out primary applicant presence and primary applicant's visa is expired in passport? Please anyone share their experience.

My wife is planning to go for stamping in india in Nov first week.

Last edited by a moderator:
clzeus10 said:
Did anyone try to check for appointment dates in Mumbai today? I am looking at it and there is not a single date available starting from December 06 to all the way up to July 2007, WTF??

Is this for real? I had checked just a few days ago and lots of dates were available for Feb and March, I don't think they are all used up so soon and that too until July?

Anyone have more details?

mate,
Try playing with it a little over the weekend I am certain you will get dates closer to Jan and Feb. I saw dates for this month itself in Mumbai just a few days ago. Be patient and keep looking.

ameryki said:
mate,
Try playing with it a little over the weekend I am certain you will get dates closer to Jan and Feb. I saw dates for this month itself in Mumbai just a few days ago. Be patient and keep looking.

Well yes, I can see this month and some dates in November, but NOTHING after that.

Problem is I am not travelling until Jan so if dates are available for Oct and Nov, that does not help.

I will check it over the weekend though and hopefully things will look better, but it scared the shit out of me as I was just about to book my wife's ticket and now there are no appointments until after her return date.

TIMES OF INDIA /MUMBAI : October 13, 2006

Get a US visa interview in six days flat

MUMBAI: Snaking queues of people waiting for an appointment with US visa authorities may soon be a thing of the past. Going all out to clear a huge backlog of applications for non-immigrant visas, the American Consulate in Mumbai has flown down both equipment and personnel from US to help them tackle the issue on a war footing.

"Earlier, it would take people two to six months to get an appointment for their visa application. Now they can simply log on to www.vfs-usa.co.in and schedule an appointment in six days flat," said Glen Keiser, the new Consular Section Chief during a press conference on Thursday. Those who have already been given appointments later this year can also log onto the website and re-schedule themselves for an earlier date.

As part of a makeover, the consulate is also planning to increase the number of windows and shifts to service applications. Consul General Michael Owen said though the visa halls had 230 seats, over 600 people were showing up daily for appointments. "We have already increased the number of windows from seven to 10 and we are also planning to work in two shifts. The first shift will be from 8 am to 1 pm and the second shift will be from 1 pm to 6 pm," said Owen.

"We also plan to work on alternate Saturdays," he added. The consulate also plans to shift base from its cramped quarters in Breach Candy to Bandra Kurla Complex by April 2008.

The new building will have twice the existing number of counters so that applications are processed rapidly. Seating arrangements too will be upgraded to eliminate the system of queues altogether.

Keiser said that the consulate wanted to increase the number of applications processed each day from 7,000 to 14,000, which would make Mumbai one of the busiest consulates of the United States in the world.

Guys,

If anyone wants early appointment in Mumbai/Chennai/Delhi, I can help out for a nominal fee of $25. I have a close relative working in the consulate, so If you need help, please mail me at pathangir@yahoo.com or call me at 678-8622175

gcsucks said:
Guys,

If anyone wants early appointment in Mumbai/Chennai/Delhi, I can help out for a nominal fee of $25. I have a close relative working in the consulate, so If you need help, please mail me at pathangir@yahoo.com or call me at 678-8622175
Visa appointments are wide open now..just go to the VFS website and get an appointment..
Its because of guys like you , this whole visa backlog was created..

Hey Rock945,

So, do you mean to say that clzeus10 and ameryki are lying when they said visa dates are not available in Jan till June and you are smart enough to see it is available?

Backlog is happening because of the demand and not because of any single individual helping out others

2007 visa dates???

clzeus10 said:
Well yes, I can see this month and some dates in November, but NOTHING after that.

Problem is I am not travelling until Jan so if dates are available for Oct and Nov, that does not help.

I will check it over the weekend though and hopefully things will look better, but it scared the shit out of me as I was just about to book my wife's ticket and now there are no appointments until after her return date.

All November thru mid-Dec there are visa dates available on every single day in Mumbai. But there are no visa dates available after mid Dec 2006 thru March 2007. How is this possible? Did any of you have better luck?

Mine is a H1b Revalidation case and I wonder what needs to be done to ensure that it is considered an Emergency case. Any thoughts?

Thx.

gcsucks said:
Guys,

You and your relative should feel shame on asking $25 for selling the appointment dates. Looks like your company is not paying well. And your corrupted relative, who is working in consulate, these guys makes our system bad.

As a disciplined citizen, I am forwarding this thread/your email address and your phone number to USCIS.