H1 Visa Revalidation Experiences - Mumbai Consulate

H1B Extension (10th Year) stamping, with LC case being re-opened

I got my H1B extension approval (10th year) while waiting for my GC Labor case to re-open (I got a letter that is was closed a few weeks ago). However, I would like to know if anyone has gone to India for stamping while their case was still closed. Any issues I can expect? Do the consular officers ask for GC documentation for the H1B extension cases? Any info about this or related matters is appreciated.

H-1B Stamp, GC Applied

Quick question. It should be common question but I couldn't find the answer....

on the application forms for H-1B stamp, what should I fill out for question such as "Have you ever applied green card?"

What if visa officer asks the similar question such as: "have you applied labor certificate?" or "have you applied 140"?

My 485 is not filed yet.

Thank you for your reply.

It doesn't say applied for greencard ? but it says if anyone has filed an immigrant visa (petition) (IV) on your behalf. Applying LC is not applying IV, but applying for 140 is and IV for skilled foreign worker. So the answer is yes for I-140.

jnpr said:
Quick question. It should be common question but I couldn't find the answer....

on the application forms for H-1B stamp, what should I fill out for question such as "Have you ever applied green card?"

What if visa officer asks the similar question such as: "have you applied labor certificate?" or "have you applied 140"?

My 485 is not filed yet.

Thank you for your reply.

Emergency quota for H4 Spouse only?

Is the emergency quota at the Mubai consulate valid for H4 visas too, even IF the spouse goes alone? (Revalidation of course. I think this q has been asked in this forum before, but suprisingly I couldn't find a straight answer to this very straightforward question). I would think it is, as it would be quite stupid to keep it just for the person working, as the circumstances for an India visit for a H1 and H4 persons are the same. However, I would appreciate inputs from any person who has first-hand knowledge/experience of this issue. Thanks.

VFS docs submittal

All who have gone through the stamping process with the VFS, please let me know if you were given some kind of acknowledgement or receipt for submitting the all the necessary documents to VFS 5 business days prior to the interview date.

Thank you.

Thank you for your reply!
Do you think it will be an issue for me to get the stamp without background check? I am suppose to answer yes for this I-140 question. TIA.

DSLstart said:
It doesn't say applied for greencard ? but it says if anyone has filed an immigrant visa (petition) (IV) on your behalf. Applying LC is not applying IV, but applying for 140 is and IV for skilled foreign worker. So the answer is yes for I-140.

It shouldn't be a problem. H1 is a dual intent visa. H1 is path to GC, and consular officers know that.

jnpr said:
Thank you for your reply!
Do you think it will be an issue for me to get the stamp without background check? I am suppose to answer yes for this I-140 question. TIA.

passport pick-up

is it the same day pick-up regardless of the time of the interview? I hear that even applicants having interview appointments in the morning will be in the consulate long into the afternoon waiting for their turn to be interviewed.

GC_Lover said:
You can pick-up on same day at around 5 PM

tusharvk said:
is it the same day pick-up regardless of the time of the interview? I hear that even applicants having interview appointments in the morning will be in the consulate long into the afternoon waiting for their turn to be interviewed.

That was not the case when I went for interview in January. I went in at 8:35 and was out just before 9:15 and I got my passport couriered to my home address next day.
However, you know how fast things change out there, but as far as I can tell everyone was getting out in decent time.
I think it is the same day pick-up regardless the time of appointment. Not sure if that has changes recently.

tusharvk said:
Does anyone know if VFS even opens the envelope (containing the various forms and supporting documents) that was couriered to them ?

Thanks for any help from those who have undergone this entire procedure in mumbai.

Sure, VFS opens the documents and checks them. My wife went for visa on 18th may and she got it !! But when she sent those documents, they checked them and they wasted my whole night for problem with I - 797. For some reason, VFS did not find I 797 in package and they kept calling my wife in india, and she kept calling me all night. Well finally I scanned and sent I 797 to VFS directly and that ended the problem.

Moreover they don't hand out passport same day. Now they sent through courier and you will get back next day at your home.

Thank you folks for your answers and responses.

My wife's interview on 5/10/06 was successful; I will post all the experience in detail.
Arntxee said:
Sure, VFS opens the documents and checks them. My wife went for visa on 18th may and she got it !! But when she sent those documents, they checked them and they wasted my whole night for problem with I - 797. For some reason, VFS did not find I 797 in package and they kept calling my wife in india, and she kept calling me all night. Well finally I scanned and sent I 797 to VFS directly and that ended the problem.

Moreover they don't hand out passport same day. Now they sent through courier and you will get back next day at your home.

emergency appt

hi all

can H1 visa renewal applicants ( who are returning to US) get emergency appt? it says on the website one of the reasons for emergency appt 'Returning H1 workers'. Has anyone done this?
my H1 just got renewed. I got 3 year extension as I can't file I485 due to retrogression. so i am going to go to Mumbai for stamping and wanted to know if I can take emergency appt along with my dependents( who are on H4)

also do I have to take my 7 year old son for the visa stamping?

any input welcome

dhm2002

Q regarding doc to carry for interview

Hi all

the VFS website says that we carry form I 129 along with I 797. I don't have I 129 It must be with the lawyer. do we need to carry it( also I 539 for spouse and kid)? i used to revalidate my visa here in the US thru lawyer and the first stamping I don't remember if I carried I 129 at the time. It was long time ago

any inputs?

dhm2002

Last edited by a moderator:
carry all the documents as anything may be asked for.
dhm2002 said:
Hi all

the VFS website says that we carry form I 129 along with I 797. I don't have I 129 It must be with the lawyer. do we need to carry it( also I 539 for spouse and kid)? i used to revalidate my visa here in the US thru lawyer and the first stamping I don't remember if I carried I 129 at the time. It was long time ago

any inputs?

dhm2002

dhm2002 said:
Hi all

any inputs?

dhm2002

Yes you need copy of your 129, they won't let you go to interview window without that paper.

www.H4Help.org

Lekhika said:
www.H4Help.org – A new website launched.
It is a place where dependent visa holders in the US can get guidance on what they can do about their helpless situation. They can network with fellow dependent visa holders, help each other find jobs, help advocates in improving policies by participating in the survey, volunteer… etc. The possibilities are endless. Please let everyone with dependent visa know about this site… This site is started by a dependent visa holder and right now it is run by hand full of people. If you are interested in being part this non-profit organization, please email us at feedback@H4Help.org.

This is in response to posts about www.H4Help.org

1) The personal questions are asked to build a valid case to advocate against the limitations of these dependent visas. If you just have arbitrary data, it is hard to prove a case. Also, no information on the survey is mandatory expect a valid email id so that one can be contacted if a specific case is needed to be represented etc...

2) About helping each other finding job, it is not illegal. We are not suggesting anyone hold an illegal jobs. Spouses of H4B work for companies who sponsor H1Bs. So, if they have any opening and are willing to sponsor for H1B they can let others know about the openings through the forums... and even help submit the resumes personally etc. This way finding a job for H4Bs, which is in most cases is really difficult, would be that much more easier.

3) This is a non profit site, run by a handful of people, which hopes that concerned people (H4Bs, F2 etc and their spouses H1Bs, F1 etc) take a lead in using the tools on the site and help themselves and others like them to improve their situation...

4) We hope to build a community for current and future dependent visa holders, one place where they can go and get all the information and support they need. We need people to get involved. Please spare some of your time and help us take this site further. Take part in discussions... Write to us at feedback@H4Help.org for any suggestions to make the site more useful. We are also working hard, for free, to put more substance in the site...

Thanks for those who came and visited us and also to those who reffered us to their spouse and friends. Please be patient with us, we are a new site. It will take time to make it an active community... For that we also need people like you!

queries about filling form DS 156, 157

Hi all
I had some questions regarding DS 156. I am currently in US trying to get appt. in mumbai Here are the questions...

DS 156:
1. Q# 16 asks your business phone # in India since we don't have a office in India what to write there? It does not let me keep the field blank

2. Q 22 When do you intend to arrive in US? I left this one blank is that ok? or do I need to fill that if yes then what is to be the answer? I intend to get back as soon as get my stamp

3. Q# 25 Name and telephone Numbers of Persons in US who you will be staying with. What to fill here? is NOt Applicable ok? as I will be getting back to my apartment

4. Q# 15 and Q# 24 Home address: This has to be my add in India right? and Current Address: This has to be my address in US right?

5. Q# 26 How long do you intend to stay in US? is 'Duration of visa and employment' correct answer? and also 'Who will pay pay for your trip?' since I will be paying for it should I just answer that?

DS157:

1. Q# 8 Full Name and Address of Contact Person or Organization in the US. Here I put my company name, address, tel # is that ok?
I got a bit confused because when I opened DS 157 this field was already NA the same that I filled in DS 156 Q#25 which asks for name of the person you are staying with.

For my dependents can they write my name and tel. as name of the person they will be staying with in DS156?

sorry for asking so many questions but if those who have recently gone thru it can help it will be of great help. I did check out the website somebody posted for help with filling the forms but some Qs I am still confused and don't want to make mistakes
so thank you in advance

dhm2002

1. write the business phone# for office in the US or just use your mobile#
2. ok to leave it blank. if your ticket is resvd, use that date.
3. write the contact info of the person who signed your employment verification letter (in case of H1b visa
4. just write whatever VFS considers acceptable.
5. well, you have to actually specify the duration in years and months. and self for the other question.
dhm2002 said:
Hi all
I had some questions regarding DS 156. I am currently in US trying to get appt. in mumbai Here are the questions...

DS 156:
1. Q# 16 asks your business phone # in India since we don't have a office in India what to write there? It does not let me keep the field blank

2. Q 22 When do you intend to arrive in US? I left this one blank is that ok? or do I need to fill that if yes then what is to be the answer? I intend to get back as soon as get my stamp

3. Q# 25 Name and telephone Numbers of Persons in US who you will be staying with. What to fill here? is NOt Applicable ok? as I will be getting back to my apartment

4. Q# 15 and Q# 24 Home address: This has to be my add in India right? and Current Address: This has to be my address in US right?

5. Q# 26 How long do you intend to stay in US? is 'Duration of visa and employment' correct answer? and also 'Who will pay pay for your trip?' since I will be paying for it should I just answer that?

DS157:

1. Q# 8 Full Name and Address of Contact Person or Organization in the US. Here I put my company name, address, tel # is that ok?
I got a bit confused because when I opened DS 157 this field was already NA the same that I filled in DS 156 Q#25 which asks for name of the person you are staying with.

For my dependents can they write my name and tel. as name of the person they will be staying with in DS156?

sorry for asking so many questions but if those who have recently gone thru it can help it will be of great help. I did check out the website somebody posted for help with filling the forms but some Qs I am still confused and don't want to make mistakes
so thank you in advance

dhm2002

hi

I work in US and belong to Andhra. I am planning to take an appointment in Mumbai for my stamping (since chennai has dates only in November).

Is it possible to select an appointment date in August if i book an appointment today in Mumbai consulate?
Since I am working in US, is it OK to take an "Emergency Appointment" in chennai?

Thanks for your help.

Bharat