H1 Visa Experience Chennai Consulate

H4 Visa Stamping

Hi,
I am working in the USA for almost nine years now. I have my I-485 application pending and my I-140 is already approved. I have H1B approval for three more years (Till 2010). My wife could not file her I-485 on time before retrogression and is on H4 status now. She also has her approval till 2010.

We are planning to go to India around August or September. I know, my wife must go to Consulate to get her Visa stamped before entering into the USA. My questions are

1. Visa stamping in my passport was expired in 2003. Do I have to get Visa Stamped in India or Can I use my Advanced Parole?

2. If I use the Advanced Parole to enter into the USA, then will my H1B status become Invalid? it is very important to keep my H1B status valid for my wife's H4 status.

3. Will it be a problem to my wife's visa stamping, if I don't have visa stamping in my passport?

4. Just three weeks back my company merged with another company and the Company name got changed. Will it create any problem in the H4 visa stamping? (my H1B approval has old company name). Is it OK to have some documents related to that for stamping?

5. My wife's I-94 number in her H4 approval is not correct. Instead of '7', it has '4'. How to correct this?

Thanks,
gcman09

Hi ALL

Need Help...
I am planing to go for H-1B stampng in chennai in july
For Visa Stamping,from the threads i understand that W2s and 1040.. is a must.

But i do not have all W2 and 1040..

I can request 1040 Tax transscript for missing 1040s....Is this a valid document? will the Consulate accept this?

Regarding W2...I have downloaded my W2 from ADP (pdf) is this a valid document? will the Consulate accept this?

Thanks in advance

VFS Appt

I am on my 8th year h1b extension and have a 3 year extension based on approved 140. I am planning to visit Chennai for stamping.

When I go into VFS website, tye emergency appt condition states that H and L visa applicants returning to their jobs can get emergency appt.

Is that what people use for stamping? If yes, what kind of documentation do we need to prove to say we are returning H visa applicants?

Appreciate your answers

Hi All, I transfered my H1 from comp A to B. I have a bsc and NIIT degree and over 10 years of experience. I have been in US for almost 2 years now. I will be going to India during december. I will need to get stamped for my new H1. Please let me know if there will be any issues due to the qualification. ALso, will it be advisable for me to go to Canada for H1 & H stamping. Please advice.

Filling up DS 156

I have my H1 from a company "A" in USA. I am still working for my current company "B" in India. I have not resigned yet. I am going for my stamping. In the DS 156 form, What should I fill in the following item as ?

Current Employer ? Should this be the company "A" ie USA company or Company "B" in India.

I appreciate your replies.

Hi All, I transfered my H1 from comp A to B. I have a bsc and NIIT degree and over 10 years of experience. I have been in US for almost 2 years now. I will be going to India during december. I will need to get stamped for my new H1. Please let me know if there will be any issues due to the qualification. ALso, will it be advisable for me to go to Canada for H1 & H stamping. Please advice.

Carry your educational evaluation along with other necessary documents.

Mention your current company 'B" in India. Because you are currently employed with B only and company A is your prospective employer only.

I have my H1 from a company "A" in USA. I am still working for my current company "B" in India. I have not resigned yet. I am going for my stamping. In the DS 156 form, What should I fill in the following item as ?

Current Employer ? Should this be the company "A" ie USA company or Company "B" in India.

I appreciate your replies.

Hi,

My brother went for a H1 visa stamping in Nov 2007. He got interviewed by the officer for 15 minutes. The officer finally gave a 221g and said that he sent it back to USCIS for review. Now it is January. My brother did not recieve any response on this yet. What can I do to help my brother. I did try the lawyer of the company that applied. But the lawyer suggest that I spend another 5000 USD to apply to know the freedom of information for his return. I am not happy about that. What other things that I can do to help my brother. I am really very upset by the Chennai consulate for providing no reason and just return when everything is OK with my brother. The same company has brought many employers and many from chennai consulate as well. No clue...about these funny process.

I have a question regarding H1 interview at chennai. I want to fix an appointment for the interview first and I want to get visa for both me and my wife. anyone could give some information like what are the documents I need. How to submit a combined VISA appointment etc. I was on F1, then on OPT and now on H1 working in a university as postdoc.

LCA and other questions

What is an LCA, I work in a university as post doc and I alrfeady have h1 approval.another thing to add to my previous question I am not married now , but will get maried in India on my next visit. so any one could tell me how to schedule a combined interview

I have a question regarding H interview at chennai. I want to fix an appointment for the interview first and I want to get visa for both me and my wife. anyone could give some information like what are the documents I need. How to submit a combined VISA appointment etc. I was on F1, then on OPT and now on H1 working in a university as postdoc.

Please book a visa interview at www.vfs-usa.co.in using the passport numbers for yourself and your wife. You will get the documents required in the New Delhi embassy website. The best approach is to appear for an interview together (which you have already planned) - you need to book only one H-1B interview slot, indicating your would be wife as dependent.

What is an LCA, I work in a university as post doc and I alrfeady have h1 approval.another thing to add to my previous question I am not married now , but will get maried in India on my next visit. so any one could tell me how to schedule a combined interview

LCA is the process to verify the prevailing wages for the same job category in a specific work location. An H-1B employee must be payed equal to or more than the prevailing wage.

Yo can still schedule a combined interview if you have your would be wife's passport number. At the time of visa interview, take the relevant documents like Marriage Certificate, wedding photos etc.

This is very helpful guys, thank you. So Do I file the DS156 and 157 as married eventhough I am not yet married but will be married once I reach India.

Last edited by a moderator:
H1B experience of post docs

Hello, I was wondering anyonewho got H1B visa as a post-doc. could share their interview experience at Chennai. I was going through the consulate website for the required documents. they mention carrying photographs of the business firm inside and out side the building etc. are these required if you work in a well established university? I am already working on H1B status.Do I need work experience letter etc. from my previous employer;actually I was a student not an employee.

My Wife and I are planning to visit Chennai for Visa Renewal

My wife and I both carry H1B visas and planning to visit Chennai for stamping. It will be the 2nd renewal for me but first time for my wife. She got stamped last time in Chennai on H4 and then got transferred to H1B but haven;t been stamped on H1 yet.

Here's couple of questions about myself and my wife's visas:

1. My wife's H1B got approved in 2006 but have not started working till Jan'07 so she does not have a W-2 for 2006. Is this something she needs to worry about? If so, any suggestions on how to tackle this situation? She does have one for 2007. Is it sufficient?

2. I have been working for 4 yrs in IT but have a Non-Comp Science MS degree. I read somewhere in this website that this could be a red flag for VO. I have a PGDCA degree that I bought in India when I applied for H1B. But not sure if I should use them at the consulate or not. How could I convince them that I have real experience?

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

You bought a degree in India? Or is that a typo and it should read brought? If it is the latter, then my opinion is, if it was not an issue during your first H-1B visa issuance, it should not be an issue this time. Good luck!!!

I have a PGDCA degree that I bought in India when I applied for H1B.

successfull stamp at chennai. renewal.

Appointment date: 26th March. Chennai
H1b extension approved Oct 2007 at vermont.

Pretty cool. Only asked if I was working for the same employer. There was some crowd and I initially ended up standing in the wrong line. With that I was out in about 2 hrs time.

Prior, I had checked for PIMS by emailing the consulate at nogales mexico and they said that it was present. I have no idea if the consulate folks even looked at PIMS.