H1 Visa Experience Chennai Consulate

Visa Appt in India

Hello,

Can anyone advise me what is the process to get the visa appt for emergency? Can a person from south india who is working in US get visa appt at any consulate or it has to be only chennai? Please reply as soon as possible. I appreciate your help. THANKS.

H1B visa experience at Chennai Consulate

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I wanted to share some information regarding the visa process in the Chennai Consulate.

I am currently in India and I have a 10 year multiple entry B1/B2 visa. But, my company wanted me to work in the US for a long period of time and hence, applied for, and got a H1B done for me. After the H1B approval, when I applied for a H1B visa, at the Chennai Consulate, the VO asked me for additional docs under sec 221(g) and asked me to utilize the new drop-box facility. I did the same and dropped off the package using the new VFS drop-box facility. It has been over month since I dropped off the package. Whenever I call up the Consulate, I am told that my package has reached the VO and my case is still under processing. Moreover, when I ask them to give me a date by which it will be processed, they tell me that it is not possible to give any date. It seems the processing will happen on a case by case basis.

Here is my question: Since I already have a B1/B2 visa, and since my company wants me to come to the US urgently, can I ask the Consulate to cancel my H1B visa application and give back my passport, so that I can go to the US? Also, this way, I can go to the US for 3 months and come back and apply for a H1 visa again. By doing so, will it hamper my chances of obtaining a H1B visa the second time that I apply? FYI, I have got F-1, B1/B2 and previous H1B visas before this without problems. If someone has any info or tips regarding this, please feel free to post your thoughts.

Also, if I am going to the US on a B1/B2 visa, when having a valid H1-B approval, will it affect things at the Chennai Consulate when I apply for a H1B visa?

Thanks. :mad:

Visa appointment

Has any one taken a H1 Visa appointment for extention recently? If I try now how soon can I get it?

My visa is expiring at the end of March and my lawyers are in the process of applying for extention. I will be India during June and July.. Should I wait till my H1 gets extended to book on line?

thanks,
Raghu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish you luck when revalidating your H-1B at Chennai

I wanted to share my recent experience at the Chennai Consulate for those who might find it useful: Having been a long-suffering applicant for the green card, I have been getting my I-94 extended through my company's attorneys as well as getting my H1B (currently 8th yr) stamped through DOS. However, since the DOS service has been discontinued now and I was coming to India on vacation, I scheduled my appointment months in advance (Oct'05) before showing up at the consulate in Feb'06 for what I thought would be a simple process.

The appointment was scheduled for a Monday through VFS and while their appt scheduling system had a query on whether this was an H1 revalidation or a new H1 application, their guidelines (issued on appt confirmation) on what documents to bring for the appointment did not differ from the requirements for a new H1. While this should have set off a red flag in my mind, distracted by the demands of my job, I did not pay heed.

Entering the consulate, the VFS "screening" agent who first
reviewed the application package put together by my company's attorneys, simply pulled out just the "application form" and and discarded the rest of the supporting documents! All right, I thought, I guess that's the only document they need. After walking in, I was fingerprinted by one consular officer and asked to join a different line. When our turn came, I presented the application form to the officer, who then asked me a couple of questions on how long I had been working for my company. Then he asked me if I had my W2 forms with me. As neither my attorneys nor VFS had indicated that I needed these, I had not brought these with me and I told him so. Immediately, he told me that he couldn't grant me the validation and stamped our passports with "Application Received" (Denial), before I could so much as open my mouth! He then scrawled "W2" on a blue 221(g) Notice of Denial, handed it to me and turned around saying that was all he could do. Stunned, I told him that the documents he was looking for were in a land far away, that I could not get to - I offered him the rest of the documents that had been put together by my attorneys, including recent payslips. However, he refused to budge and told me that instead of coming back again, I should just use the "Drop Box facility" to submit the W2s and turned away from the window! He quite flatly refused to answer any other questions, instead asking me to refer to the document he had handed me.

Scrambling now (since I was scheduled to fly back on the coming Sunday) I reached out to my company that night and asked them to fax me the W2's. The next day, I deposited the W2 along with the rest of my application in the VFS Drop Box as indicated by the Consular Officer. When a couple of days went by (the stated processing time on the Consulate's web site is 48 hrs) and I had heard nothing back, I frantically tried reaching out to different "contacts" to see if anyone could check on the status since the weekend was just a couple of days away. Unfortunately, everyone had the same answer: The Drop Box was as good as a Black Hole! Once you went through that, you just had to go through "due process" (whatever that was!).

By EOD Friday 5 days had elapsed and I knew I had to cancel my return tickets. So, I reached out to my company and let them know I wouldn't be coming back as I has planned. I also asked my attorneys to see if they could follow up with the Consulate. There was nothing to do but wait through the weekend. To make matters worse, I couldn't rebook my return tickets until I actually got my passport back!

On Monday of the next week, I received some positive feedback from the attorneys: the visa had actually been approved the previous Friday. Whew, I thought, I should have it today. Having already been delayed, I decided to head straight to the VFS office and pick it up without waiting for it to be couriered home. However, while passports kept streaming into the VFS Service Center (including of some folks who had actually had their interview just that morning), mine didn't show up. Glumly, I returned home thinking it would show up at least the next day. But, it was the same story the next day again - no passport yet. On my way back, I got chatting with some of the VFS employees and a couple of others who had been waiting like me and they told me that what I was experiencing wasn't unique - the consulate always took additional time to issue H1-B stampings beyond the 6th year....sometimes, it even took upto a month!

The next day, I was obviously not too confident about seeing my passport that day but when I checked online I found that VFS had actually received my passport that day from the consulate! I went in that afternoon and picked it up, 8 days after I had submitted the "additional" documents in the Drop Box, thankful that it hadn't taken a month! Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of my travails though - when I tried to rebook my return tickets, I found that there was nothing available until the next Monday. Consequently, I had extend my "vacation" by a week because of the visa issues - only wish it had been a true vacation and not running around for a visa!

Moral of the Story: Take your W2's with you for your H1B extension AND GET YOUR VISAS REVALIDATED IN VANCOUVER INSTEAD OF CHENNAI!

Recent H4 stamping in Chennai

While I am sorry your visa got delayed for quite a bit, its your own fault. Least you could have done is read some forums before heading down to apply for a visa but I guess all's well that ends well.
My wife recently appreared for her H4 stamping in India and the process was smooth and flawless. Yes it took a lot of time around 4 hours but the actualy interview took less than 3 mintues. I guess people just share bad exp's and I wanted to share a good one. They are just doing their job.....Give them a break
: )

svnlogin said:
I wanted to share my recent experience at the Chennai Consulate for those who might find it useful: Having been a long-suffering applicant for the green card, I have been getting my I-94 extended through my company's attorneys as well as getting my H1B (currently 8th yr) stamped through DOS. However, since the DOS service has been discontinued now and I was coming to India on vacation, I scheduled my appointment months in advance (Oct'05) before showing up at the consulate in Feb'06 for what I thought would be a simple process.

The appointment was scheduled for a Monday through VFS and while their appt scheduling system had a query on whether this was an H1 revalidation or a new H1 application, their guidelines (issued on appt confirmation) on what documents to bring for the appointment did not differ from the requirements for a new H1. While this should have set off a red flag in my mind, distracted by the demands of my job, I did not pay heed.

Entering the consulate, the VFS "screening" agent who first
reviewed the application package put together by my company's attorneys, simply pulled out just the "application form" and and discarded the rest of the supporting documents! All right, I thought, I guess that's the only document they need. After walking in, I was fingerprinted by one consular officer and asked to join a different line. When our turn came, I presented the application form to the officer, who then asked me a couple of questions on how long I had been working for my company. Then he asked me if I had my W2 forms with me. As neither my attorneys nor VFS had indicated that I needed these, I had not brought these with me and I told him so. Immediately, he told me that he couldn't grant me the validation and stamped our passports with "Application Received" (Denial), before I could so much as open my mouth! He then scrawled "W2" on a blue 221(g) Notice of Denial, handed it to me and turned around saying that was all he could do. Stunned, I told him that the documents he was looking for were in a land far away, that I could not get to - I offered him the rest of the documents that had been put together by my attorneys, including recent payslips. However, he refused to budge and told me that instead of coming back again, I should just use the "Drop Box facility" to submit the W2s and turned away from the window! He quite flatly refused to answer any other questions, instead asking me to refer to the document he had handed me.

Scrambling now (since I was scheduled to fly back on the coming Sunday) I reached out to my company that night and asked them to fax me the W2's. The next day, I deposited the W2 along with the rest of my application in the VFS Drop Box as indicated by the Consular Officer. When a couple of days went by (the stated processing time on the Consulate's web site is 48 hrs) and I had heard nothing back, I frantically tried reaching out to different "contacts" to see if anyone could check on the status since the weekend was just a couple of days away. Unfortunately, everyone had the same answer: The Drop Box was as good as a Black Hole! Once you went through that, you just had to go through "due process" (whatever that was!).

By EOD Friday 5 days had elapsed and I knew I had to cancel my return tickets. So, I reached out to my company and let them know I wouldn't be coming back as I has planned. I also asked my attorneys to see if they could follow up with the Consulate. There was nothing to do but wait through the weekend. To make matters worse, I couldn't rebook my return tickets until I actually got my passport back!

On Monday of the next week, I received some positive feedback from the attorneys: the visa had actually been approved the previous Friday. Whew, I thought, I should have it today. Having already been delayed, I decided to head straight to the VFS office and pick it up without waiting for it to be couriered home. However, while passports kept streaming into the VFS Service Center (including of some folks who had actually had their interview just that morning), mine didn't show up. Glumly, I returned home thinking it would show up at least the next day. But, it was the same story the next day again - no passport yet. On my way back, I got chatting with some of the VFS employees and a couple of others who had been waiting like me and they told me that what I was experiencing wasn't unique - the consulate always took additional time to issue H1-B stampings beyond the 6th year....sometimes, it even took upto a month!

The next day, I was obviously not too confident about seeing my passport that day but when I checked online I found that VFS had actually received my passport that day from the consulate! I went in that afternoon and picked it up, 8 days after I had submitted the "additional" documents in the Drop Box, thankful that it hadn't taken a month! Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of my travails though - when I tried to rebook my return tickets, I found that there was nothing available until the next Monday. Consequently, I had extend my "vacation" by a week because of the visa issues - only wish it had been a true vacation and not running around for a visa!

Moral of the Story: Take your W2's with you for your H1B extension AND GET YOUR VISAS REVALIDATED IN VANCOUVER INSTEAD OF CHENNAI!

svnlogin said:

Sorry to hear about your case!
I am surprised you forgot a basic document like W2, it says all over this forums that you should have W2 and many other documents.

Emergency Appointment at chennai Consulate !

Hi,
I am currently trying to get an emergency appointment(1st week of May' 06) based on H1 Renewal clause (7th year) at chennai US consulate thru vfs, but surprisingly the dates available for emergency appointment are same as normal appointment (Aug 30, 31) !. Looks like there are some issues with the website (https://www.vfs-usa.co.in/Home.aspx), when I checked couple of days back emergency appmt dates were in April 11, 13 etc, all of a sudden now they are showing as Aug 29 !
Does any body encountered these issues ?, did any body booked emergency appmt recently at chennai consulate ?.
Thank you in advance for any information on this.

Thank You,
Vijk

Extremely lucky!

SVN, I would definitely look at the brighter side and feel very fortunate that your visa was approved in 8 days especially when you hear stories of other folks who had to use the drop box also. Congrats!

Address change

How do I post my address change to an already filled out DS 156/157 form on VFS website? I had picked an appointment and filled out my DS 156 but since then my address has changed.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Just wanted share the good news with you all. My wife and daughter had their H4 visa interview at chennai consulate yesterday. It went smooth. No question asked. they came out of the consulate in less than 30 minutes.

visa validation for the extension with 7th year, and i donto have valid H1b visa stamped in my passport. Its already expired a year ago.

SK

skali - help

skali

I am in the same boat. My wife is planning to go for H4 stamping at Chennai consulate during first week of June 2006 based on my 7th year extension and her H4 extension approval notice.

Can you share with me what are the documents you provided for this stamping. it would be very helpful for me to prepare.

thanks in advance.

skali said:
Hi Guys,

Just wanted share the good news with you all. My wife and daughter had their H4 visa interview at chennai consulate yesterday. It went smooth. No question asked. they came out of the consulate in less than 30 minutes.

visa validation for the extension with 7th year, and i donto have valid H1b visa stamped in my passport. Its already expired a year ago.

SK

Prabp

Here is the list of documents i provided.

1. copy of I797, LCA, I129
2. Full copy of Principal's passport.
3. Paystub for entire year of 2005 till feb 2006.
4. Tax return copy of all the years
5. Employer letter stated about my job and salary
6. Original H4 extension approval notice
7. Original Marriage certificate
8. Photo album
9. last 3 months Bank statement
10. last 3 months utility bill (for proof of address)
11. Copy of all previous I797 ( took with her incase if they asked. but didnt)

My employer provided the copy of the application they submited to INS for my visa extension. because at the time he applied i was in 5th year only, but my labor was filed in more than a year. so he applied along with 7th year extension and got approved. So I had a doubt about what if the consulate asked about that. he neither wants to give me the labor copy nor receipt number, he provided me the copy of the H1B extension application where the enclosure list stated "labor copy attached for the proof of 7th year extension". I attached this copy also for the interview. I never changed employer also. so its always for one company.

Hope this list will help you.

SK

thanks

skali

thanks a lot for providing this info.

its very useful and really appreciate ur help

thanks again

pp

skali said:
Prabp

8. Photo album

My employer provided the copy of the application they submited to INS for my visa extension. because at the time he applied i was in 5th year only, but my labor was filed in more than a year. so he applied along with 7th year extension and got approved. So I had a doubt about what if the consulate asked about that. he neither wants to give me the labor copy nor receipt number, he provided me the copy of the H1B extension application where the enclosure list stated "labor copy attached for the proof of 7th year extension". I attached this copy also for the interview. I never changed employer also. so its always for one company.

SK

skali said:
Prabp

8. Photo album

SK
Thanks for the info.

Successful H1 stamping in Chennai

Went on 26th april for my stamping. I am a non-IT employee and was going for my 8th year H1. I only had 5 months left for my H1 and was successfully stamped. Based on what people said in this forum, I carried too many documents. Here's all that they ask for at pre-screening:

1. I 797
2. ONLY your I129 form (do not give the entire packet with copies of your passport etc. They get irritated if you do that - saw many people do that even after the screeners repeatedly asked them not to do it)
3. Passport
4. DS 156, DS 157 and appointment letter.
5. The HDFC receipt

But I do suggest that you take all documents, just DON't provide it unless asked. Othrwise you will needlessly give them material to browse and ask more questions. My lawyer said the same thing when I went for stamping last time.

It is best to come to the consulate at or 5 minutes after your scheduled interview time. Else you will surely wait in the hot sun. I came 1/2 hour early and needlessly stood in the line. People who came in at or after the appointed time walked in without effort.

Make sure that you fill out the home address as the address in India and NOT your US address. They made me change it to the Indian address. Also after you print the DS 157, fill your name in your native language. The online document does not provide a way to fill that (lack of fonts of course).

During the interview, the VO pointedly asked me if I was a consultant. I was not so I escaped what would probably have been the next set of questions ie. provide letters from clients etc. She then asked me to describe my job.

These were the only two questions I had.

The VO did not ask for any additional documentation other than what was received at pre-screening.

She then asked me to pay the Rs. 2300 visa fee (ie the draft they ask you to bring).

I got my passport two days after the interview by courier.

FYI..I also booked an appointment in Canada but did not go given that my degree for my LC was from India (I do have a US degree but that's not the one mentioned in my LC). I cancelled that appointment as many folks got rejected in Canada and were asked to apply from home country.

There were two surprising things I saw:

1. The VO asked a H1 applicant what technical languages she knew three times. Each time the applicant said Telugu! The VO then clarified with examples before the applicant got it. I think she got the H1.
2. Believe it or not, one lady booked her appointment that morning! The VO was surprised. The applicant mentioned she kept checking each morning at 5:00AM and by luck a slot opened that day.

skali said:

SK

Hi, did you travel to India on AP since your H1 expired?

Question ON ds-156 "Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?"

Hello Gurus,
My company has applied 140 for me. Will I be answering "YES" or "NO" for the question in DS-156

Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?:

Your help is highly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes

Your reply would be 'YES',as you applied for GC. it doesn't matter its I140 or just a labour..
My GC is in labor(till now!!) and I had stamping for my 7th year extension in chennai...i choose yes...

Jay

jay22 said:
Your reply would be 'YES',as you applied for GC. it doesn't matter its I140 or just a labour..
My GC is in labor(till now!!) and I had stamping for my 7th year extension in chennai...i choose yes...

Jay

Thanks Jay for the prompt reply. I have one more question in DS - 157. "Have you made any specific travel arrangements". What did you answer there?

Thanks again