H1 to H4 to F1 Change of Status

niptuck

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I recently changed status from H1 to H4 (in Feb 2005) and am now looking to change status to F1. I am already pursuing a part-time degree at a local university and will register for full time once I receive the approval. I was wondering if anyone can share any experiences he/she has had in changing status from H to F?

Thanks.

niptuck said:
Hi,

I recently changed status from H1 to H4 (in Feb 2005) and am now looking to change status to F1. I am already pursuing a part-time degree at a local university and will register for full time once I receive the approval. I was wondering if anyone can share any experiences he/she has had in changing status from H to F?

Thanks.

H4 to F is simple with in USA. Just apply change of status, may take 3-5 months depends on service center. You will get your I 94 at the bottom of your approval notice. No need to go out of USA unless you want multiple entry.

Make sure that your sponser have enough money to produce support affidavit
I -131 .

great guru said:
H4 to F is simple with in USA. Just apply change of status, may take 3-5 months depends on service center. You will get your I 94 at the bottom of your approval notice. No need to go out of USA unless you want multiple entry.

Make sure that your sponser have enough money to produce support affidavit
I -131 .

Do you know how long will it take to change from H1B to F1? While the process is taking place, can I continue working under my H1B?

Is the process any different if I chose to change from H1B to J1?

Do you know how long will it take to change from H1B to F1?

That depends on your service center.

While the process is taking place, can I continue working under my H1B?

Yes, until the change of status is denied or approved if your H1B status is still valid.

Is the process any different if I chose to change from H1B to J1?

Pretty much the same.

While the process is taking place, can I continue working under my H1B?
Yes, until the change of status is denied or approved if your H1B status is still valid.
Pretty much the same.

What happens if the F1 approval doesn't come on time for the first day of classes? Could I go to school with an H1B?

senorfrogs said:
What happens if the F1 approval doesn't come on time for the first day of classes? Could I go to school with an H1B?
F1 is a full-time student status. If you are holding an H1B visa, schools will not let you take a full-time course workload. Even though you cannot do full-time course work while you are on H1B, you can attend school part-time. And once your petition for the change of status is approved, you can take full-time course workload.

Studious said:
F1 is a full-time student status. If you are holding an H1B visa, schools will not let you take a full-time course workload. Even though you cannot do full-time course work while you are on H1B, you can attend school part-time. And once your petition for the change of status is approved, you can take full-time course workload.

Thanks!

The school gives me the option to choose between J1 and F1. Since they will be sponsoring me with a Research Assistanship I will not have the 2yr home residency requirement. Also, I do not have any dependents.

Based on your experiences, which visa would be easier/faster to get? Do both visas allow working 1yr after graduation? Any other differences?