H1 to H4 and now back on H1

GoodLuck_Angel

Registered Users (C)
Hello:

I was in H1 for about 3 months in 2000 , Jan-March. Then, circumstances changed and I had to change my status to H4. On, Jan 2005, I changed it back to H1. I have been working on H1 right now and my current H1 has expiration date of Sept of 2007.

My question is do I get another 3 years of H1 extension after sept of 2007 as I will have used about 3 years of H1 by then?:confused:

Do they count my stay on H4 toward my H1 and deny any further extension on my H1? :mad:

Please suggest.

Thanks

Details:

Here is my situation:

Dec 99: Graduated from college.
Jan 00: Started OPT, and started working for company A
Jan 01: H1-B approved and contiuned working for A
Apr 01: Company went bust and I had to change to H4 (Dependent)

Since then, for various reasons, I had to stay home for a long time.

Jan 05: Got new H1 from new company - B. Changed status and started working again. .... currently working ....
Sep 07: Date my H1-B expires.

So far my total time on H1-B: 4 months (Jan 01-Apr01) + 13 months (Jan 05 to Feb 06) = 17 months = Less than 1 and half year.

My question is:
Do I qualify for another renewal of H1-B, in Sep 07?

Since I have been in H1-B to H4 to H1-B, does the time I spent on H4 count against my possible H1-B time which is normally 6 years?

Please advise. Thanks.

Do your math once again.
You have posted your question some other forum too. Go and check for reply there.

GoodLuck_Angel said:
Here is my situation:

Dec 99: Graduated from college.
Jan 00: Started OPT, and started working for company A
Jan 01: H1-B approved and contiuned working for A
Apr 01: Company went bust and I had to change to H4 (Dependent)

Since then, for various reasons, I had to stay home for a long time.

Jan 05: Got new H1 from new company - B. Changed status and started working again. .... currently working ....
Sep 07: Date my H1-B expires.

So far my total time on H1-B: 4 months (Jan 01-Apr01) + 13 months (Jan 05 to Feb 06) = 17 months = Less than 1 and half year.

My question is:
Do I qualify for another renewal of H1-B, in Sep 07?

Since I have been in H1-B to H4 to H1-B, does the time I spent on H4 count against my possible H1-B time which is normally 6 years?

Please advise. Thanks.

But that doesnot make sense, does it?

GreatGuru:

Thanks for the reply however it really does not make sense to me.

I would understand why L1 and H1 have a total of 6 years as they you can work on either on them, however when you are on H4, you don't work, hence the time you spend on H4 should not count against the total available against H1.

Also, someplace here in this forum, I read that "Any time NOT utilized on H-1 is preserved for future use.". Why this is not true when going from H1-H4-H1?

Please enlighten.

---
posted it here too, in case you did not see the other thread.