H1 through consultants !!! Please help

malanaveen

Can someone please tell me if I can trust consulting companies to do my H1. I dont belong to a IT background but there IS a consulting company which is willing to place me with one of its clients considering the fct that i have a MBA and a few years of experience.

They are going to charge me a sum of 3900$ and say that it will be fully refunded after the process is complete and i get on to thier payroll. Can someone tell me if i can actally go ahead with the option, given the fact that i am on H4 and dont have any IT skills with me.

The offer is pretty attractive from where i stand cause this would probably be the only way i could start working in this country.

Last edited by a moderator:
malanaveen said:
Can someone please tell me if I can trust consulting companies to do my H1. I dont belong to a IT background but there IS a consulting company which is willing to place me with one of its clients considering the fct that i have a MBA and a few years of experience.

They are going to charge me a sum of 3900$ and say that it will be fully refunded after the process is complete and i get on to thier payroll. Can someone tell me if i can actally go ahead with the option, given the fact that i am on H4 and dont have any IT skills with me.

The offer is pretty attractive from where i stand cause this would probably be the only way i could start working in this country.

I've worked for several consulting companies. None of them ever charged any employee anything to file for an H-1B.

malanaveen said:

Ask following question yourself first?

Since I do not have IT exp, how they are going to place me. (If they are not going to place for long time what is going to happen). (people with good skills still sit in the bench some times. that is another story).

If they do not return the H1 money and not going to place, What are all the option I have. (If am in the bench with no pay check for quiet some time with H1 I am out of status, changing the sponser also not easy. What back up do I have?

If my H1 is not approved, will they return my money $ 3,900? otherwise money is not a problem take a chance?

Same time try some other firm which gives and do the business in your skill area.

You know you are filing a fraudulent case....

You will be lying under oath and maybe you'll get away with it...

When you file for your greencard or H1B extension, things could haunt you...

They could ask for tax returns to prove you were actually working as IT, if not you are out of status from day 1...

Since you're on H4, have your spouse apply for GC and you can apply for EAD at same time... then work...

USCIS is also aware of these scams and routinely run checks on companies that are suspicious... you probably aren't the first person offered this scam, so if you are the 50th person on the company payroll and USCIS decides to investigate.. you can be barred from the US for LIFE... that's a very long time...

Also if one of those other people scammed decides to report the consultant to USCIS and they investigate all cases filed by those people and you get investigated.. you're in deep trouble...

If you haven't figured it out by now, be glad you're here on a status... don't play with it...

Its the company which is laying under oath not the employee. If the employer does not pay him then the employee is entitled to back wages. Ofcourse here is a risk for employee by being out of status. If it is more than 6 moths then there will be 3 years bar on entering US. I am not encouraging him to break the law. But he need to first get some training in the field before he applying for H-1.

paulo27 said:
You know you are filing a fraudulent case....

You will be lying under oath and maybe you'll get away with it...

When you file for your greencard or H1B extension, things could haunt you...

They could ask for tax returns to prove you were actually working as IT, if not you are out of status from day 1...

Since you're on H4, have your spouse apply for GC and you can apply for EAD at same time... then work...

USCIS is also aware of these scams and routinely run checks on companies that are suspicious... you probably aren't the first person offered this scam, so if you are the 50th person on the company payroll and USCIS decides to investigate.. you can be barred from the US for LIFE... that's a very long time...

Also if one of those other people scammed decides to report the consultant to USCIS and they investigate all cases filed by those people and you get investigated.. you're in deep trouble...

If you haven't figured it out by now, be glad you're here on a status... don't play with it...

It's true that it will be the company that will be lying under oath.

But it will still be him who gets deported when USCIS finds out that the case involved fraud from the employer's side... and by carrying around the 797 and i94 and claiming to be in H1 status without working for the actual job description (as i can't imagine how he'd be able to work a job he isn't trained for) then he becomes part of the fraud when he applies for an extension and submits proof claiming to be in status or if he actually works for the company under a different position... as status is maintained only by working the job described in the LCA

as status is granted for working the actual job description...

meaning they can't make you work as a mail clerk or other menial position and still maintain status...

hope this helps....