H1 stamping in Canada

arun_gc_waiting said:
Hi,

I have two questions :

(1) Is there any new law that January '2005 onwards should go to home country for stamping ?

(2) If no, which place in canada is easy to get the visa revalidation without waiting time as I don't want to spend too much money to stay for some days and get the stamping (also having huge expense for going home country after that)

As I am not having any idea for this, would you please answer for these questions if you know something about this.

Thanks
arun

Arun there are a couple of postings in this forum regarding this new law. It is my understanding that someone has obtained their visa at Calgary this January. look for those postings. So that should answer your first query.

As far as the second query, I have the same query. I have the option of making apt in toronto or ottawa. which is faster? do both have the same waiting time? Mine is a new visa stamping (F1-h1b); I guess yours is revalidation. But these cases should be treated similarly.

Successful H1B and H4 Revalidation from Toronto

Hey guys,

I got my H1B Stamping and my son's and spouse's H4 Stampings done from Toronto on January 19th.

This was our third year stamping.

I dont think there is any "new law" since we were successful in getting our stampings done.

I even consulted my lawyer before leaving for Canada and even he said that everything would be fine.

bbindian said:
Hey guys,

I got my H1B Stamping and my son's and spouse's H4 Stampings done from Toronto on January 19th.

This was our third year stamping.

I dont think there is any "new law" since we were successful in getting our stampings done.

I even consulted my lawyer before leaving for Canada and even he said that everything would be fine.

Thank you for the post. That is helpful. Do you know the wait time in toronto? On the website, they say that they will take 3 days to process. what was your experience? also were there any queries as to why you could not get it done from your home country?

H1 Stamping in Ottawa, Canada

I have an appointment at the US consulate in Ottawa, Canada to renew my H1B next week. My H1B expires April'05.

This is the first time I am renewing my H1B. I was reviewing the DS-156 form that needs to be submitted along with my documents.

FORM DS-156: There is a question that asks whether if I have been refused a US Visa.

When I applied for a F1 Visa 5 years ago, I got it refused once. But the next time I applied for F1 Visa with a different university, I got through.

What will be the implications on my H1B renewal if I mention that my Visa has been refused before?

Your advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank You.

Ping-Sam said:
I have an appointment at the US consulate in Ottawa, Canada to renew my H1B next week. My H1B expires April'05.

This is the first time I am renewing my H1B. I was reviewing the DS-156 form that needs to be submitted along with my documents.

FORM DS-156: There is a question that asks whether if I have been refused a US Visa.

When I applied for a F1 Visa 5 years ago, I got it refused once. But the next time I applied for F1 Visa with a different university, I got through.

What will be the implications on my H1B renewal if I mention that my Visa has been refused before?

Your advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank You.
can you renew it before the visa expires?

Full Experience in Toronto

tusharvk said:
Thank you for the post. That is helpful. Do you know the wait time in toronto? On the website, they say that they will take 3 days to process. what was your experience? also were there any queries as to why you could not get it done from your home country?

Hi tusharvk,

In toronto, you are gonna get the approved visas the day after your interview at around 3-4 PM.

I had an appointment at 8:30.
We had to show our appointment letter to the security guard and then, he let us in.
We were obviously checked and so were our stuffs. Make sure not to carry any electronic goods into the Toronto consulate. They dont allow any.

Then, we had to wait in a line for like 10 mins and we are called upto a counter where the lady took the following documents:
DS-156s
Approval Notices
Passports

Then we had to wait for like 15-20 mins till our names were called for the interview. The officer asked for employment letter and the copy of the I-129 Petition. we all got fingerprinted. The officer asked some questions about the Company and also about my educational background.

He then told us to go to the 3rd floor to pay the fees, and when we came back to him, he gave us three receipts and told us to come the next day to collect the visas.

I dont think they would ask you why you arent getting the visas done from India or your home country, but, even if they do it, just answer honestly!

bbindian said:
Hi tusharvk,

In toronto, you are gonna get the approved visas the day after your interview at around 3-4 PM.

I had an appointment at 8:30.
We had to show our appointment letter to the security guard and then, he let us in.
We were obviously checked and so were our stuffs. Make sure not to carry any electronic goods into the Toronto consulate. They dont allow any.

Then, we had to wait in a line for like 10 mins and we are called upto a counter where the lady took the following documents:
DS-156s
Approval Notices
Passports

Then we had to wait for like 15-20 mins till our names were called for the interview. The officer asked for employment letter and the copy of the I-129 Petition. we all got fingerprinted. The officer asked some questions about the Company and also about my educational background.

He then told us to go to the 3rd floor to pay the fees, and when we came back to him, he gave us three receipts and told us to come the next day to collect the visas.

I dont think they would ask you why you arent getting the visas done from India or your home country, but, even if they do it, just answer honestly!
Thank you for the detailed answer. how did you pay the fees? did you need to go one day ahead to do the bank stuff relating to the fee payments? and how much time before your appt did you go to the consulate ( I mean is there a long queue?)

tusharvk said:
Thank you for the detailed answer. how did you pay the fees? did you need to go one day ahead to do the bank stuff relating to the fee payments? and how much time before your appt did you go to the consulate ( I mean is there a long queue?)

Yes...I went a day before my interview to deposit the application fees at any ScotiaBank branch in Toronto.

The Next day, I went to the interview at 8:15 and by that time, there were a few more people in front of me. I would say that the earlier your interview time is, the faster the work gets done.

H1B stamping in Ottawa - Help with DS-156

Here is my situation-

My H1B (from my previous employer) expires in April'2005. I recently visited India and came back. At the port of entry, Immigration officer issued a new I-94 valid thro my visa expiration date (April'2005) and not by my current I-797 (from my current employer) valid till 2007. Immigration officer urged me to get my Visa renewed in Canada ASAP.

I have an appointment in Ottawa US Consulate next week to revalidate my H1B and H4 for my wife.

I have questions while I was reviewing the DS-156 form online at the US Dept of State website:

Situation:
My F1 was refused twice, 5 yrs ago (Reason: Prospective Immigrant). I got it approved the third time with a different I-20

Question:31 - "Have you ever been refused a US Visa?" - Will "YES" have any implications on my revalidation?

Situation:
My previous employer filed an RIR. However a couple of months later I switched my employer. My current employer is in the process of placing ads towards filing an RIR. However, he did file my regular GC 4 months ago. I haven't heard anything from the Dept of Labor so far.

Question-36: "Has anyone ever filed an Immigrant Visa Petition on your behalf?" - should I mention an "YES" or "NO"?

Your advice would really help me, as I have only few days left to leave to Canada.

Please Help!!

First time H1B [F1 to H1b] stamping in canada Ottawa

:confused:

Hello Guys,

Can anybody help me with your suggestions:

I came here on F1 to do my Master's in Computer Science. I was doing my internship in a California based company and they recently hired me as a full-time employee. I also got my H1B petition approved recently. I need to go for my H1B stamping and got an appoitnment on March 4th 2005.

The problem is that I have not yet defended my thesis to get a degree. I will be defending my thesis in month of July 2005. Will this create a problem when I go for stamping in Canada?

I do have all my transcripts and I also can get a letter from my University stating that I will be graduating soon this year.

If Mexico or India is a better choice please feel free to state that.

Please help me out with your valuable suggestions.

Regards,

a.p.a. samy.

visitor visa canada

Anybody has applied their visitor visa at Detroit?
What is the experience? How much time it takes (the webpage says the same day). Do you know what time it is possible to pick up the stamped passport?

H1B Visa Wait Times in Montreal / Ottawa / Toronto...

Folks,

Those of you who have recently to been to Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto consulated to get H1B visas stamped, Can U enlighten us on the wait times at each of these places, if the visa is approved. ( same day/ next day, 3 days ?? )

Also, if there is someone who has been to more than one of these consulates, which would you recommend..

Thanks for your help..

-solicit

Wait Times

solicit said:
Folks,

Those of you who have recently to been to Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto consulated to get H1B visas stamped, Can U enlighten us on the wait times at each of these places, if the visa is approved. ( same day/ next day, 3 days ?? )

Also, if there is someone who has been to more than one of these consulates, which would you recommend..

Thanks for your help..

-solicit

Hey Solicit,

In Toronto, the approved visas the given the day after the interview. I got my visa stamping done from Toronto on Jan 19th. I have detailed description about my experience on the 2nd page of this section.

bbindian said:
Hey Solicit,

In Toronto, the approved visas the given the day after the interview. I got my visa stamping done from Toronto on Jan 19th. I have detailed description about my experience on the 2nd page of this section.

The post was very helpful as far as interview in canada is concerned. Could you share your experience when re-entering the US? did you fly? any issues\problems at the immigration\customs?

tusharvk said:
The post was very helpful as far as interview in canada is concerned. Could you share your experience when re-entering the US? did you fly? any issues\problems at the immigration\customs?

I drove to Canada and back to US via Niagra Falls. While enterring Canada, an officer asked us the following questions:
Where do you live?
Where we are going in Canada?
How long we are gonna stay?
Are we importing anything to Canada?

Then we went into a building and got the arrival record stamped on our passports.

While re-entering the US, the same procedure. The officer asked us the following questions:
Citizen of what country?
Where do we live?
Why we went to Canada?
Are we importing anything to the US?

And then, we were back in US again!

:confused: F1 to H1B VISA stamping Someone please help me

Hey Guys,

Can some one please reply to my question that I posted in this thread. It is in the second page under the heading "First time H1B [F1 to H1b] stamping in canada Ottawa"

Regards,

apa samy

bbindian said:
I drove to Canada and back to US via Niagra Falls. While enterring Canada, an officer asked us the following questions:
Where do you live?
Where we are going in Canada?
How long we are gonna stay?
Are we importing anything to Canada?

Then we went into a building and got the arrival record stamped on our passports.

While re-entering the US, the same procedure. The officer asked us the following questions:
Citizen of what country?
Where do we live?
Why we went to Canada?
Are we importing anything to the US?

And then, we were back in US again!

Hi BBINDIAN,

Can you pls tell how do you got the Canadian Visa.
What documents are required.
Have you got it by Mail or went by person. How long it took.

Thanks

Stuck in Vancouver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess most of the Pakistani's get stuck in Canada when they come for their H1 stamping. I had and interview on Feb7th 2005. The officer said my case needs special handling....didnt say how much time it would take......any one who knows what this means and ....if someone could share their updates that would be great....Thanks

Hi All,

After landing, I want to do revalidation also for me and for my wife who is a dependent.

(1) Should I get two separate appointments, one for me and one for my wife ?

(2) The visa application package includes the visa application forms, an information sheet, and a pre-coded deposit slip for the non-refundable USD$100 processing fee. The fee must be paid at any branch of the Bank of Nova Scotia (ScotiaBank) located in the province of Ontario before coming to the Consulate.

I saw this (2) point in toronto US consulate website. Is this applicable to other US consulates also in Canada to deposit $100 in scotia bank ?

I really appreciate your help in this.

Thanks
Arun