H1 stamping in Canada

MDRH

Registered Users (C)
I got an appointment for H1 stamping in Ottowa at the end of January. I am from Bangladesh.This is my 1st H1 stamping. I just found out from the forum about the new law. Should I cancel my plan to canada and go to my own country.

forum was talking about a new law that begining Jan 2005 you need to go back your own country to stamp your H-1B visa (You can not do it from third countries like Canada or Mexico).Any thoughts ? please reply I have an appointment in Canada on last week of January.
Thanks in advance

If you check the posting By Tom Black on 7th january -H1 VISA stamping in Canada(under About latest regulations by govt. agencies on H1 heading), you will find out about it. I also came to know about the issue from there. Give me any suggestions you have.

MDRH said:
I got an appointment for H1 stamping in Ottowa at the end of January. I am from Bangladesh.This is my 1st H1 stamping. I just found out from the forum about the new law. Should I cancel my plan to canada and go to my own country.

I am also in this similar position. I have not yet scheduled my appointment.
If this rumor about the new law is true, please let me know.
MRDH, how long ago did you schedule your appointment? Are the consulates in Canada booked up way in advance?

Another question regarding extension of status. How long before the I-94 expiration date can one file for extension of h1b status? Does extension of status come under h1b cap?

Update to this question

I had an appointment scheduled at Calgary for 1/12. I thought this 'law' would play in effect. However, I successfully obtained my H1B stamp at the consulate. Please note I was on an F1 and have been working on an H1 for about a year. So, this may or may not apply to you. Just figured I'd confirm.

Questions

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to holler. I'll do my best to answer or help direct you to an appropriate resource.

LeoNel said:
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to holler. I'll do my best to answer or help direct you to an appropriate resource.
What is the wait time for appointment there?
I was on F1 and status changed to H1b; need to go to Canada or Mexico for stamping.

Thank you for any directions you can provide me.

LeoNel said:

Also were there any queries as to why you could not go to your home country for your visa?

I scheduled my appointment in the 1st week of december for a date at the end of January.

tusharvk said:
Also were there any queries as to why you could not go to your home country for your visa?

No there were not, but if you're asked be truthful. If I were asked I would show that the earliest appointment in the home country was in March (so at the very least attempt to make an appointment at home so you have something to show in the event that you're asked). Furthermore, vacation at my work place is limited so this trip was necessary to help expedite the process.

LeoNel said:
No there were not, but if you're asked be truthful. If I were asked I would show that the earliest appointment in the home country was in March (so at the very least attempt to make an appointment at home so you have something to show in the event that you're asked). Furthermore, vacation at my work place is limited so this trip was necessary to help expedite the process.

Does any one know what the rules are regarding canceling an earlier made appointment at the consulates in Canada or Mexico?

LeoNel said:
I have been reading the posts on this forum regarding the rumors about H1-B stamping cannot be done from Canada since jan '05. Has anyone read this somewhere? Did anyone get clarification on that? Please advice because even I am trying to schedule an appointment in Canada to get my H1-B visa stamped.

abnitin said:
I have been reading the posts on this forum regarding the rumors about H1-B stamping cannot be done from Canada since jan '05. Has anyone read this somewhere? Did anyone get clarification on that? Please advice because even I am trying to schedule an appointment in Canada to get my H1-B visa stamped.

What is the earliest date for appointment that you expect to get in Canada if you were to try to schedule now? what is the lead time at these consulates?
When I log on to nvars.com, I am asked to enter the passport number, etc., it does not give me the available appointment dates before I have entered my passport number. Is there a way to get the availability of appointments through this or some other website?

I do not see any problem in giving my PP information and other details and obtain a file number; once done that you can have access to all the dates you want. Also read Canada USA travel issues in "moving to Canada" on this forum; many people have shared their experiences there.

Last edited by a moderator:
visa processing speed

I have the option of making appointment in Ottawa or Toronto. Which is preferred as far as the processing speed is concerned? If possible, would not want to stay in there once visa interview is over. Anybody has any information from recent experiences?

tusharvk said:
Does any one know what the rules are regarding canceling an earlier made appointment at the consulates in Canada or Mexico?
I guess you need to call the 1900 number from www.nvars.com to cancel the appointment.

Hi,

I have two questions :

(1) Is there any new law that January '2005 onwards should go to home country for stamping ?

(2) If no, which place in canada is easy to get the visa revalidation without waiting time as I don't want to spend too much money to stay for some days and get the stamping (also having huge expense for going home country after that)

As I am not having any idea for this, would you please answer for these questions if you know something about this.

Thanks
arun