H1 Stamping in Calgary

ramesh418

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,
I went to Calgary for H1 stamping,the consular told me that they need to verify my criminal background from US before that issue the visa and it could take 3-4 weeks. I am ok with 3-4 weeks the problem I am facing is my visa or the status is canada expires in a month and if the US embassy takes more than a month, I would be illegal in Canada which I do'nt want that happening.
If anyone can advise me with what sould be my next step, that would be very helpful.

Thanks
Ramesh

I have valid visa for one year multiple entry but when I landed on calgary they put the date on passport for Nov 18 2006. so, I am worried about that if US consulate dely for more than 4 weeks , please suggest. I saw on couple of threads that sometime we have to wait longer. Any experiece how to extend status. Canadian immigration website says we have to apply before one month it will expire. mine will be expire in less than 30 days.

Is your previous stamped VISA already expired?

Hi Ramesh,
In case your previous stamped VISA is still valid, I'm sure you can come back to US because your previous visa is valid, evnthough US consulate in canada require few weeks time for any kind of check before stamping a new VISA.

So is your previous visa (once last stampted on your passport) expired or still valid (could be for 1-2 weeks, thats OK too)

let us know your situation

best of luck

No, I don't have valid visa. This was my first H1 stamping from F1 to h1 , I had student visa even they cancelled that one. So, I am in tension... I don't know how long I have to stay here and I have only one month of valid stay in canada in my passport.

You previous valid H-1 visa would be canceled as soon as you apply for a new stamp at a consulate. This is standard procedure. You can't enter back the US while a visa application is in process.

Now, this criminal record check appears to be different than the Additional Background check which is done based on the Name maching. What were you told visa_waiter? R u also waiting for criminal records check?

Ramesh, You have a multiple entry visa so worst case you'll have to travel out of Canada and enter back in again.

a101, I was given 221(g) notice and told to wait 2-4 weeks for admin processing. They kept my DS-156, DS-157 & LCA, but returned everything else back to me.

I was in the US bw 2002-2005 on F-1 visa. I don't know why it's taking so long! It's been over 5 weeks now.

If the visa officer said they need to do a background check, that's what it means. Nothing you can do except wait. Calling them and asking what's the status will not help. Maybe you misunderstood about the "criminal" check. If they need a police check, they'll ask YOU to go and produce an updated police record. If they didn't, it's just the regular background check they're required to request on some applicants. The visa officer doesn't have a choice to be able to waive the background check if it's required.

Unfortunately, the visa officer has to wait for the background check too. Everyone is waiting, same as you. Nothing you can do except wait. This might be a great time to take that vacation you've been planning!

How long it takes usually.

Usually, how long does it take to get my passport stamped in Calgary? Is it often that candidates are made to wait for several weeks for criminal record check, or is it just in rare cases? I'm going to Canada for my first-time H1 visa stamping. I had a F1 student visa so far.

Thanks
Seshu

URGENT Help please!!!!!H-1B stamping in Calgary

I have an appointment for H-1B stamping in the US counsalate at Calgary.
I will be a landed immigrant, first time H-1 stamping, US degree holder...Are/Can/Has there been any issues at Calgary counsalte????Is there a time limit to file DS 156 electronically???

Background Check

I am in same situation as VISA WAITER. Been in US for last 3 years. Came for my H1B stamping and they asked for background check. Its already been 4 weeks. I will request people in this thread who came to calgary and were asked for background check to reply to this thread once they get the stamping. I am still not able to find anywhere online how much time does background check generaly take specialy for people who applied at calgary consulate.
Does anyone know if the VISA officer decide weather to go for background check or is it something which comes with your case. I saw somebody saying in this thread that even VISA officers don't have choice in asking for Background check. Just trying to find out some information.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is lots of information available on their around other threads. But unfortunately, the information only points to this... that the delay is undetermined and can vary from 2 days to 6 months or more.

What I have understood is that Visa officer or consulate has little to do with the time it takes for clearances. All consulates use the same database where the VO puts the name of the applicant. If there are matches, the case is sent to Washington for further processing. From there on, all the delays are in the hands of FBI & other agencies.

Background Check

Did anybody hear about there Background check results till now.
Can one apply for Visitor Visa to USA while the background check is pending from Canada. I am sure nobody expected a background check when they came for there H1B stamping. Its already been 6 weeks and there is no end in sight and i didn't made arragment to be out of US for this long.

If your H1 application is under background check, your B1/B2 application would go under the same checks.

B1/B2 is short term work Visa whereas i was thinking about visitor visa. Does anybody has tried it or know any information about that.

The background check wouldn't make much sense if you could just get a different visa to enter the US while it was pending, would it? American law says the background check is needed, so the visa officer has to do it. Showing up and applying again for a different visa type, trying to avoid the background check, would suggest to the people doing the clearance (and to the visa officer) that you have something to hide during the clearance process. Do you think when they do your fingerscans that they won't see your other application pending?

Calgary First H1b Stamp

I went to calgary too, and they told about background process on my application. I had canadian multtiple one year visa. I choose to fly home and wait there.

I'm still waiting its going to be 20 weeks now. Staying at home country not that expensive as in Canada- no point just wait- cost much. Check email every day, all you can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nitvork, I started this thread when I was in Calgary and stucked into background check. I received a ph call from US consulate with in 9 business days and I received my visa in exactly in 2 weeks.
Nitvork you said you are in your home country now. Did you regularly checks your voice mail? As I told consulate to send me e-mail if they received clearance but they never send me e-mail and I received ph call from them. So, check your voice mail or, even call to consulate office to check your status. By the way which is your home country?
Good Luck

Ramesh