H1 stamping - how to get appointment at US consulate, Montreal, Canada

sudhin

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Wish you all a very happy valentine\'s day.

I am currently on OPT (F1 visa), my H1 has been approved. After reading a post on this list about their experience at US consulate at Montreal, Canada. I have decided to get my H1 stamped from US consulate at Montreal . Could you please tell me:

1. how to get an appointment at the US Consulate at Montreal, Canada.
2. what is the procedure for getting a Canadian visa (I stay near Washington, DC)
3. I saw questions about where to stay and other howtos for going to Mexico for stamping, is there a FAQ suggesting places to stay and other things to care when travelling to Canada (better even to Montreal). (BTW: I plan to drive - any Dos and Don\'ts)

The list has been very informative and I thank you all a lot.

Regards,
Sudhin.

Went to Montreal on Jan 10th and approved

H1 extension for me and H4 to F1 (change of status) for my wife. It might be helpful for you if you look at my postings during that period. Just search by my name "Shyam Gunda" to see my postings. I do not know if anything has changed recently. So, use the information at your own discretion.

about travelling - greyhound or drive or air

Hi Shyam,

I read thru your posts, thanks gives a lot of confidence about what all I need to do.

Well I was thinking of driving from DC to Montreal, that\'s a 10+ hr drive and I am going alone.. hence thought of exploring other trvel options. How had you been there, if it was by greyhound how long did it take and how much did it cost?

Haven\'t researched.. but what would be the airport nearest to Montreal? When travelling by air would I have to give my I94 when I leave the US?

Thanks,
Sudhin.

I went by greyhound

I live in Manchester, NH. Montreal is about 5 hours from here by car. We had greyhound service from here and it took 6 hrs. The bus timings were also very convenient. The bus stop was within walkable distance to our hotel. Greyhound usually has a companion free ticket offer. Since my wife was also with me, for two persons it costed us only $104 or close for round trip.

Price was good, timings were convenient, it took only 1 extra hour compared to car, so decision for me was easy. I decided to go by bus and it was cool. The day we went we had little bit of snow, I did not have to deal with it. So it worked out perfect for me.

If I were you, I will try to find a good deal in bus or air. I personally think 20 + hrs of driving (round trip) is bit too much if you are going just for the purpose of visa. If there was someone else with you it would have been different. There is a airport in Montreal. I do not no how far is it from the consulate, but they have good public transportation system and I do not think that would cause any trouble. If you go by bus, bus stop is within walkable distance to the consulate. Just do some research and find which one works best for you. If you are going any time soon, factor in "weather", when you decide on your mode of transportation.

About I-94, I am not sure. If they take it, just make sure that you get a new I-94 when you come back.

GOOD LUCK.
Shyam.