H1 revalidation - appointment in Delhi - Emergency???

ashwinbr

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,

Am in a bit of a quandary. Hoping someone might be able to suggest solutions!
I am in the US on a H1-B and got my 7th year extension. This expires in september.
I made an appointment for visa revalidation in the Kolkata Consulate for May 6th - which is the earliest I could get.

The problem is I have to be in India between 23rd March and 18th April. I've booked my tickets and am flying out on Tuesday. I absolutely have to be back on the 18th and need a visa stamp before then.

Question: Does this qualify as an emergency? There is no death in the family (Thank God), or school starting (these were the eligibility criteria for classification as "emergency" as put down on the TTVisa website) but personally it's an emergency.

How do I go about getting an appointment? Do I have any alternatives such as going to US consulate in another country and so on?
Am in a bit of a fix (understatement) 'cause I didn't expect the appointment situation to be this bad.

Any help/tips/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ashwin.

PS: Added later: I'm from Bangalore and am required to go to Chennai.

I dont think you situation classifies as an "emergency" category for them. Why dont you try going to Canada? It will require atleast 3 days (1 to get your visitor visa, 2 to get stamped and get your passport back). Some embassies have a very small wait time for appointment and usually have no problems.

Hi SundarRaghavan,
Thanks for the response. I was under the impression that we need to go back to the home country for all visas including revalidations. Isn't that the case anymore?
If we can indeed get the stamping done in Canada, then I might postpone my trip by a few days go to Canada. But I'm hoping (against hope?) that some cancellations might be there in the Kolkata consulate and I might get a slot.
:( :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure you can go to Canada or Mexico and get your stamp. I am not against hope either. Just ask around what are the possibilites of preponing appointments and how much can you expect to prepone at the Calcutta embassy. Good Luck.

Ashwin,
Sundaraghavan is right. You can get revalidated in canada or mexico..
Personally I think you should go to canada and get the formalities completed.. God forbid if you get stuck
with namecheck or something in chennai (I am stuck currently for 3 months now ..) then will your plans in jeopardy..

Take care
Anis

Impractical? Unadvisable?

Here's a thought, please let me know if this is possible or downright whacky (Hey, I'm desperate!)

Since I have to fly through Frankfurt, I was thinking of taking a tourist visa in Germany and getting a visa stamping in the US Consulate in Frankfurt and proceeding with the rest of the trip.

Hopefully all this will cost me a day in Germany, and some extra money spent changing tickets and so on. All this will happen only if I get the German tourist visa. :) Otherwise it's back to waiting for appointment in Chennai.

Is this practical or too wild? Or have I simply lost it? :) :eek:

Thanks,
Ashwin.

ashwinbr said:
Here's a thought, please let me know if this is possible or downright whacky (Hey, I'm desperate!)

Since I have to fly through Frankfurt, I was thinking of taking a tourist visa in Germany and getting a visa stamping in the US Consulate in Frankfurt and proceeding with the rest of the trip.

Hopefully all this will cost me a day in Germany, and some extra money spent changing tickets and so on. All this will happen only if I get the German tourist visa. :) Otherwise it's back to waiting for appointment in Chennai.

Is this practical or too wild? Or have I simply lost it? :) :eek:

Thanks,
Ashwin.
This is not practical, only mexico and Canada (other than home country) is recommended for revalidation purposes.