H1 Premium Approved, SSN delayed, please help !

aroon

Hi,
I am looking for information on your general experience getting an SSN after premium processing of H1 visa. How long does it take on average in the current setup ?

I moved from a H4 to H1 recently. It was premium processed and I got the approval within 7 days.

While applying for an SSN, the lady at the office told me that
it would take 6 weeks for me to get the SSN. My office tells me
that I would not be part of the system or even work there until I get the SSN... It seems to me that the entire basis for doing a premium processing is lost in this context...as I have to wait this additional one and a half months...

Could you please post your experiences regarding this ? How do your employers treat this, is there any temporary SSN or some kind of receipt number that I've heard about, that would allow me to start working earlier? If so, how to get one?

thanks
-aroon

SSN processing varies from state to state, even center to center. Once you have been into the country beyond 30 days and apply for SSN, the procesing will take longer. Some are sympathetic to your job woes and process it faster some dont.
Legally employer is not supposed to start paying you until you get SSN (IRS purposes unrelated to immigration laws)